• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Merseyrail Class 777 introduction updates

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MTN 24J

My journey home on the 15th March. Stuck at Fazakerley waiting for the unit to reboot (777142 from memory, seems to be a problem unit).

Always concerned when I get to Fazakerley that the unit I'm on will fail.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240315_181027_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240315_181027_Chrome.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 64

meld3

My journey home on the 15th March. Stuck at Fazakerley waiting for the unit to reboot (777142 from memory, seems to be a problem unit).

Always concerned when I get to Fazakerley that the unit I'm on will fail.
Can't be worse than 144, not seen that one out for weeks/months?

karlbbb

I've just watched 5G48 going into the Leeds St tunnels towards Moorfields as an 8-car. First time I (personally) have seen one go any further down than Sandhills. It's come back out of the reversing siding at Central as 5O33, and I've just seen it emerge from Leeds St tunnels still as an 8-car.

I didn't realise the Ormskirk line had any "gaps" in it for testing/driver training but it must have to have replaced 2G48/2O33? At least, the Merseyrail status page doesn't show any cancellations for the Ormskirk line. Still, nice to see them being testing as 8-car more!

Established Member
I am currently on the first eight car 777 service to Ormskirk.

Which units out of interest? If I remember rightly, there was an issue with the Polish and Swiss units "talking" to each other, but have no idea if it's been resolved yet.

LPJOHN

Liverpool Central 12:46 is the first one, it will remain in service until about 20:00.

karlbbb

Which units out of interest? If I remember rightly, there was an issue with the Polish and Swiss units "talking" to each other, but have no idea if it's been resolved yet.
777017 and 777028 which would suggest the issue is indeed no longer an issue.

Lloyds siding

You talk about reliability being a shambles. Being local I use Merseyrail a lot and this year I have found Merseyrail to be a lot more reliable as the 777s get bedded in. I have spent a bit of time at Sandhills and have not seen any cancellations. Yes I know that there are cancellationd/failures because they are reported IN GREAT DETAIL on here. Besides Merseyrail Liverpool has many TOCs operating in our area including Avanti, TPE, EMR, TfW, LNWR and Northern. We hear little of the performance of these TOCs on Merseyside but I can tell you there are a lot of cancellations. When the 777s will be performing satisfactorily which in my opinion will not be too long perhaps the serial moaners will turn their attention to TfWs rattlebox 197s which have daily multiple failures or the soon to be introduced LNWR 730s into Lime Street.
Merseyrail chief apologises and head of metro at Stadler says 'He feels the pain of passengers'. https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/merseyrail-chief-issues-apology-over-28864543

Sam 76

Worth noting that things are clearly getting better by the numbers given in that committee. 2.7 percent cancellation rate compared to 5 in December is a significant increase in performance
Merseyrail chief apologises and head of metro at Stadler says 'He feels the pain of passengers'. https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/merseyrail-chief-issues-apology-over-28864543

Established Member
Thanks, it's one positive I suppose!
On them now, seems to be running pretty well.

Much like the SWR 701s, this diagram is running for in service training. According to the Guard Manager onboard on the way to Ormskirk, it's running until until Grand National and then there'll be three 8 car diagrams.

baldyman26

There does appear to be a shift change, my train has been on time all week, temperature was comfortable and the passenger information system worked perfectly. I heard the male voice inside and out so obviously been updated. Maybe they are getting their act together.. time will tell

Established Member
There does appear to be a shift change, my train has been on time all week, temperature was comfortable and the passenger information system worked perfectly. I heard the male voice inside and out so obviously been updated. Maybe they are getting their act together.. time will tell
Been on plenty of 777s today, with exceptions of delays caused by a trespasser, all were on time

MR-507508

Could anyone please confirm whether an 8 Car 777 will be on the Ormskirk line later today, starting with the 1246 departure from Liverpool Central to Ormskirk.
According to RTT the paths seem to be in for this - any confirmation whether the 8 Car will be running?

hellyeahdaisyj

Does anybody know when full service of the 777’s will be complete, and how many have been delivered and still yet to be delivered?

I am seeing then out more frequently, but it seems like they are still plagued with reliability gremlins [no idea why this is the case; and would love to know more] but it does seem unlikely that they will last as long as the 507/508’s will, which is concerning.

Established Member
Does anybody know when full service of the 777’s will be complete, and how many have been delivered and still yet to be delivered?

I am seeing then out more frequently, but it seems like they are still plagued with reliability gremlins [no idea why this is the case; and would love to know more] but it does seem unlikely that they will last as long as the 507/508’s will, which is concerning.
Did a day on the Mersey Network on Friday just gone, all 777 ran to time (except a few delayed due to a trespass).

In total that day I saw 40 either in use or on Kirkdale depot.