• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Merseyrail Class 777 introduction updates

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

prod_pep

Established Member
It looks like today's 16.06 Hunts Cross - Southport gave up the ghost at Waterloo, plunging the Southport line into chaos. Buses in operation and services turning back. Unit is still there now according to Traksy.

Unit involved is 777008 going by the PTS blog unless there were any swaps. Very far from the first time I've seen this set fail, not to mention its contretemps with the buffers at Rock Ferry.

Sam 76

It looks like today's 16.06 Hunts Cross - Southport gave up the ghost at Waterloo, plunging the Southport line into chaos. Buses in operation and services turning back. Unit is still there now according to Traksy.

Unit involved is 777008 going by the PTS blog unless there were any swaps. Very far from the first time I've seen this set fail, not to mention its contretemps with the buffers at Rock Ferry.
Apparently it’s an overheating issue. No trains are allowed to run past it. On 2.5 hours to get home now and still nowhere close

Established Member
Apparently it’s an overheating issue. No trains are allowed to run past it. On 2.5 hours to get home now and still nowhere close
Another unit has coupled to the failed unit, but the fault has transferred. Both trains unable to be moved.
Over heating issue was I am lead to believe an onboard computer indication fault.

Liverpool 507

Another unit has coupled to the failed unit, but the fault has transferred. Both trains unable to be moved.
Over heating issue was I am lead to believe an onboard computer indication fault.
I knew that would happen.

Both units have moved and are now at Hall Road Wall Siding.

darylyates17

Early this morning, No 777043 and 045 were delivered to Kirkdale from Long Marston, which leaves the last of the Class, No 053 on its own at the latter location.

Kirkdale C.S. = 001 to 032 inclusive, 034, 036 to 039, 041, 043, 045, 049, 051, 140, 142, 144, 146, 148, 150 and 152.
Long Marston = 053.
Europe = 033, 035 and 047
I can imagine 053 being delivered to Kirkdale before 033,035 & 047 get delivered to Long Marston.

prod_pep

Established Member
777041 has been named 'Sir Samuel Cunard', the first of its class to receive a name. It was seen today by my brother carrying a white sticker 'plate'.

NeoJade

All 777s are to have the pre-select buttons removed software wise due to, and i quote, "drivers selecting and opening the wrong doors".

NeoJade

Diabolical, only good thing they have going for them
I know, right... Think its the most used feature that they could even remotely class as "accessibility related", because, no bikes are ever in the bike spaces, noone uses the pull up seats and barely any wheelchair users use the wheelchair spaces. Train managers are usually nowhere to be seen to help these people, and hell there's literally no information anywhere saying that the pull up seats even exist. Hopefully its temporary and Merseyrail can sort out some training program to teach the drivers what left is and what right is, but its still stupid, especially when a lot of drivers take over a minute to open the doors at termini.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
RTT is showing the next (Last?) delivery of 777s to arrive in UK next Wednesday 29th.
6Q14 and 6Q77

HTH
Here are the links for the last delivery of 777s assuming all 3 come together as usual.

507 001

Established Member
I’d very much like a word with whoever it was that decided the doors need to auto close after just 10 seconds.

Every time one stops at either a city centre station or a terminus it’s just a never ending cacophony of door tones.

Irritating beyond belief.

karlbbb

I’d very much like a word with whoever it was that decided the doors need to auto close after just 10 seconds.
Irritation aside, it's clearly for energy management. Doors left open means heat/air conditioned air is just venting out of the train. I'd rather it happened than didn't.

507 001

Established Member
Irritation aside, it's clearly for energy management. Doors left open means heat/air conditioned air is just venting out of the train. I'd rather it happened than didn't.

I’m well aware of what it’s for, the point being most other stock (including that which I drive that doesn’t even have air conditioning) have the timers set at ~45 seconds, not ~10.

It’s ludicrous.

LPJOHN

The Kirkby line is back running at 4 trains per hour. It’s certainly low key reintroduction of the time table, I get the impression the guards have not been informed.

Yesterday, there was a 15 minute service from Southport to Central, every 30 mins to Hunts Cross.

Established Member
"drivers selecting and opening the wrong doors".
Good cab design & ergonomics would mitigate that, RH door release buttons should be over by a right hand monitor - not all DOO screens on the left, and two pairs of buttons at the bottom of the dashboard not far from the centre. The view out of the front seems as pokey and boxey as a 508 or 350, caused by that huge pointless pillar / wall on the right of the drivers desk.

> All in all, the removal of this door preselect facility is (imo) an acceptance by the operator that DOO on 777s is less safe than the previous 508 method of work at Merseyrail.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
The Kirkby line is back running at 4 trains per hour. It’s certainly low key reintroduction of the time table, I get the impression the guards have not been informed.

Yesterday, there was a 15 minute service from Southport to Central, every 30 mins to Hunts Cross.

It's probably a week earlier than many were expecting.

Northerngirl

Good cab design & ergonomics would mitigate that, RH door release buttons should be over by a right hand monitor - not all DOO screens on the left, and two pairs of buttons at the bottom of the dashboard not far from the centre. The view out of the front seems as pokey and boxey as a 508 or 350, caused by that huge pointless pillar / wall on the right of the drivers desk.

> All in all, the removal of this door preselect facility is (imo) an acceptance by the operator that DOO on 777s is less safe than the previous 508 method of work at Merseyrail.
How would stopping the selection help that, surely there's a buttons for guard door & a button for all doors

TheSel

No, there wasn't.

There was a limited number of "additional" Southport - Liverpool Central (and return) trains in addition to the standard half hourly frequency. Generally xx12 off Southport and xx08 off Liverpool Central, but only between 1000 and 1800, and with no 1412 off Southport or corresponding 1508 off Liverpool Central.

Sam 76

Are there many 777s on Hunts Cross to Southport as I've booked a ticket tomorrow to try them out?
All but 3 diagrams are normally 777s now on the Southport line so should be 6. If you go to Sandhills you can catch the battery units on the Headbolt Lane line and the Ormskirk is normally fully 777 as well :)