• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Merseyrail Class 777 introduction updates

shakey1961

That's an awful lot of faff while waiting for work on a few meters of extension to rails and platforms. Just use some retained 507/8 stock till all the work has been completed.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
No I mean a 4 car 777 and another set with one carriage removed.
That's an awful lot of faff while waiting for work on a few meters of extension to rails and platforms. Just use some retained 507/8 stock till all the work has been completed.
It'd be particularly troublesome as the 777s have Jacobs bogies between cars!

Skie

Jacobs bogies and lots of kit on the roof of individual units make reducing their formation difficult if not impossible.

Meerkat

Established Member
What exactly is the Southport problem?
’Just’ moving signals, or extending the platforms and/or moving points?

Skie

What exactly is the Southport problem?
’Just’ moving signals, or extending the platforms and/or moving points?

Signals need moving and some platforms have pointwork that would be fouled by a train in the opposite platform. Southports layout wastes a lot of platform space with the pointwork to access the Northern line so close to the platforms.

L401CJF

Established Member
You mean a 777 and a 508? On the face of it, I'd say no as the couplings are totally different. There would need to be some coupling adapter produced and I don't see the point in that.
They already have a coupling adaptor to fit the 507/8 for shunting and rescue only, has been mentioned before and has been used during testing.

Domh245

Established Member
There's quite a difference between an emergency coupling adapter, and running the two units coupled in service..

HSP 2

I think that may have already been mentioned, but moving the points and signals. Maybe six to eight months only on a Saturday and Sunday.

Extend the platform at the buffer stop end, by the length that's required, six to eight weeks work.

Knowing the railway I think that I know what they will go with.

urbophile

Established Member
How many platforms at Southport are equipped with third rail and could handle services while the platforms that need work are closed? (and do they both need to be closed at the same time?)

Ribbleman

How many platforms at Southport are equipped with third rail and could handle services while the platforms that need work are closed? (and do they both need to be closed at the same time?)
Platforms 1, 2 and 3 are electrified. Careful planning could see 6-car working confined to Platform 1 whilst work is carried out on temporarily shortened 2 and 3.

razor89

I think that may have already been mentioned, but moving the points and signals. Maybe six to eight months only on a Saturday and Sunday.

Extend the platform at the buffer stop end, by the length that's required, six to eight weeks work.

Knowing the railway I think that I know what they will go with.

My understanding is that extending at the buffer stop end is not an option. Platforms 1-3 aren't actually fitted with buffer stops at all, the track just ends, and apparently this is only allowed due to 'grandfather rights'. If they were to extend towards the station concourse they would then have to install buffers which would take up any extra length created.

Vespa

Established Member
They would have to prefabricate point works off site and then install it over a weekend in such case and move the signalling, it will cost money and time, if there is no other alternative to extending the platform to the station concourse, then thats what it must be.

gordonjahn

My understanding is that extending at the buffer stop end is not an option. Platforms 1-3 aren't actually fitted with buffer stops at all, the track just ends, and apparently this is only allowed due to 'grandfather rights'. If they were to extend towards the station concourse they would then have to install buffers which would take up any extra length created.
I'd imagine that not only would they need to install buffers, but also have an overrun zone.

At Glasgow Queen St, the lengthening of platforms required an overrun risk zone being added (https://www.railengineer.co.uk/glasgow-queen-street-station-half-transformed/) so the final design has a frangible platform where the rails continue beyond the buffers but there's frangible decking at platform level so this space still forms part of the concourse.

It still means that getting an extra few metres at the concourse end means lots of extra track space is needed behind the new stops. Still, it's a solution that's been used, the risk process will now be understood and it might be fairly easy to implement... if there's nothing in the zone that'd need to be cleared and excavated!

Ribbleman

I'd imagine that not only would they need to install buffers, but also have an overrun zone.

At Glasgow Queen St, the lengthening of platforms required an overrun risk zone being added (https://www.railengineer.co.uk/glasgow-queen-street-station-half-transformed/) so the final design has a frangible platform where the rails continue beyond the buffers but there's frangible decking at platform level so this space still forms part of the concourse.

It still means that getting an extra few metres at the concourse end means lots of extra track space is needed behind the new stops. Still, it's a solution that's been used, the risk process will now be understood and it might be fairly easy to implement... if there's nothing in the zone that'd need to be cleared and excavated!
Depending upon how much space is required, potentially a branch of Marks & Spencer!

itsonlyme

Whilst that Marks & Spencer was being built, originally as a Co-op store, an empty Class 502 EMU coming from the sidings overshot the buffers on Platform 3 and ended up across the present concourse with the area forward of the first set of doors inside what is now the store, then a construction site. Trains continued to run into platform 1, with passengers exiting through the doors of a set deliberately parked on platform 2 with one set of doors on each side open opposite another set of open doors on the crashed unit. Passengers walked across a bridge between the two units, which was formed by a plywood panel which was part of a hastily pulled down hoarding, to the normal station exit. Date approx early 1970's.

Present day almost certainly not enough space for overlap and buffers without demolishing M & S store

Ribbleman

Whilst that Marks & Spencer was being built, originally as a Co-op store, an empty Class 502 EMU coming from the sidings overshot the buffers on Platform 3 and ended up across the present concourse with the area forward of the first set of doors inside what is now the store, then a construction site. Trains continued to run into platform 1, with passengers exiting through the doors of a set deliberately parked on platform 2 with one set of doors on each side open opposite another set of open doors on the crashed unit. Passengers walked across a bridge between the two units, which was formed by a plywood panel which was part of a hastily pulled down hoarding, to the normal station exit. Date approx early 1970's.

Present day almost certainly not enough space for overlap and buffers without demolishing M & S store
In terms of architectural merit that would certainly be no loss but it is the only remaining big store in the town centre. Even if it was possible to take just part of the store space without completely flattening it, it would be a mighty expensive alteration.

Liverpool 507

Did it go south towards Hunts Cross too?

I’m not sure sorry.

Compared to a three car 507/8, the extra length of a 777 is as far forward as the cab of a second 507/8 in six car formation.

Without wanting to go off topic, the station throat and track at Southport needs renewing.

MR-507508

Any news on when the next 777 units are due to be delivered to Kirkdale?

Also, where are 777001 and 777002 at the moment-when are these two units planned to arrive?

Skie

The first units of many new classes tend to be the last to arrive. They go through the most testing and the have to be brought up to the spec of the delivered units with the fixes found or mods needed from their testing.