• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Merseyrail Class 777 introduction updates

Wezz

So it is OK for trains to be introduced with faults and passengers inconvenienced because they haven't been tested properly because that has happened with other new train introductions. That is a typical attitude on railway forums. Never look outside the railway world and don't look at the best examples and ask why they worked better but excuse the worst.
That makes it alright does it? We told you you wouldn’t get a decent service when we introduced the new trains so stop moaning about it.
It's impossible to test for every scenario, the units went through rigorous testing and passed with flying colours before entering service, it's also not the fault of Merseyrail or Merseytravel. Stadler are ultimately responsible for maintaining the Class 777 fleet and they failed to deliver on their promises.

At no point did I say it made it ok, I simply stated that people shouldn't be so surprised that there are issues, there were a lot of issues with the 507/508 units when they were new.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

OutdoorM

Stadler are ultimately responsible for maintaining the Class 777 fleet and they failed to deliver on their promises.

Are you able to supply any further information as to how Stadler are failing? Obviously, the inability of trains produced in differing Stadler factories to talk to one another is a major failing.

Wezz

Are you able to supply any further information as to how Stadler are failing? Obviously, the inability of trains produced in differing Stadler factories to talk to one another is a major failing.
They promised that the fleet would run something like 20-30,000 miles between faults, so far the units have managed less than 1000 miles between faults.

They're also struggling to get spare parts which is why one of the 777's is now in a DEMIC state, they've been removing parts from it to put in the more reliable sets.

Established Member
..struggling to get spare parts which is why one of the 777's is now in a DEMIC state, they've been removing parts from it to put in the more reliable sets.
Oh my word, brand new trains being used as Christmas Trees :lol:

Send the whole lot back to Tobleronia. They can't even make them right nowadays.

8A Rail

Established Member

Vespa

Established Member
The battery model also have to do their equivalent fault free miles to ascertain the real world battery range, which should prove interesting.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I am told that the following three are out today on the Kirkby line and all running to time, from someone who has just had them for haulage:

777 013
777 018
777 049

Sam 76

I am told that the following three are out today on the Kirkby line and all running to time, from someone who has just had them for haulage:

777 013
777 018
777 049
They seem to have had a much better couple of days which is really positive and hopefully continues :)

inais20

Are the 777s similar enough to the 555s that similar issues may end up occurring on the T&W metro later in the year?

8A Rail

Established Member
With the arrival of three more Class 777's (142,144 & 146) in the UK, I have updated the current (depot) location list as far as known.

(NB I only post Units that have arrived at Kirkdale regardless if they are stabled elsewhere within the Merseyrail area)

Kirkdale C.S. = 001, 003, 004, 005, 007, 008, 009, 010, 012, 013, 014, 015, 016, 018, 049, 140 and 142.
Crewe C.S. = 002, and 006.
WOJn MSC. = 144 and 146.

prod_pep

Established Member
I see today that 508136, 777013 and 777049 are working the Kirkby line.
508136 has presumably replaced another faulty 777 as it started the day on the Ormskirk line this morning (formed the 0946 Central to Ormskirk). A raft of cancellations on the Kirkby line again today: the line was in complete chaos between 1330 and 1430. What a time to be a regular user of the Kirkby line!

urbophile

Established Member
When the 507/8s were first introduced many years ago, I seem to remember that the Kirkby line was the last to get them. At the time we felt that Kirkby was being punished for being a poor and reputedly crime-ridden area. It was a surprise to learn this time round that the good townspeople were getting the new trains first, but perhaps those in charge knew what was coming and preferred to inflict unreliability on Kirkby commuters rather than on their more well-heeled counterparts from Formby etc.

Bertie the bus

Established Member
When the Liverpool Echo reported on the problems a couple of weeks ago I vaguely remember a Merseyrail quote stating these "teething problems" won't affect the rollout onto other lines. As Ormskirk was scheduled for March we've only got a week to wait to see if that was true.

ExRes

Established Member
Looks like 002 & 006 are soon to be at Kirkdale, 1359 6Q77 Crewe CS to Kirkdale CS currently showing for Sunday

Kite159

Veteran Member
508136 has presumably replaced another faulty 777 as it started the day on the Ormskirk line this morning (formed the 0946 Central to Ormskirk). A raft of cancellations on the Kirkby line again today: the line was in complete chaos between 1330 and 1430. What a time to be a regular user of the Kirkby line!
At least there seems to be a regular bus service to act as a backup for Kirkby for when the line collapses.

irish_rail

Established Member
When the 507/8s were first introduced many years ago, I seem to remember that the Kirkby line was the last to get them. At the time we felt that Kirkby was being punished for being a poor and reputedly crime-ridden area. It was a surprise to learn this time round that the good townspeople were getting the new trains first, but perhaps those in charge knew what was coming and preferred to inflict unreliability on Kirkby commuters rather than on their more well-heeled counterparts from Formby etc.
I think its far more to do with operational convenience than a vendetta against Kirkby.

Ribbleman

I think its far more to do with operational convenience than a vendetta against Kirkby.
Definitely. It was always the plan to convert the Kirkby line first, followed by Ormskirk services. The thinking being that it is easier to substitute sets if they are passing Kirkdale Depot.

Wezz

That's not the case at all, the Kirkby line was chosen as it's the shortest line on the entire network which made it easier to send units back to the depot and replace them with another unit.

It has absolutely nothing to do with wanting to inconvenience passengers and everything to do with being able to remove faulty units from the mainline as quick as possible in order to prevent the entire service from grinding to a halt.

Vespa

Established Member
That's not the case at all, the Kirkby line was chosen as it's the shortest line on the entire network which made it easier to send units back to the depot and replace them with another unit.

It has absolutely nothing to do with wanting to inconvenience passengers and everything to do with being able to remove faulty units from the mainline as quick as possible in order to prevent the entire service from grinding to a halt.
Which is just as well, I can imagine Kirkby and Ornmkirk will end up being proving grounds for new units before being sent to other lines.

urbophile

Established Member

Of course not. My comment was tongue in cheek.