• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Merseyrail Class 777 introduction updates

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

OL-3944

We're now able to replace units with other 777's, something that we couldn't do a couple of weeks ago.
Do you work for Merseyrail as part of the production/delivery team? Are the battery units delayed or ready for service.

Geeves

Established Member
Computer issues seem to be bane of many modern units. Once the fitters' get the hang of things it will improve. Plenty of hard resets on Northern these days if comparisons are to be made.

Sam 76

We're now able to replace units with other 777's, something that we couldn't do a couple of weeks ago.
Do you know if some other units other than the usual 4/5 are going to start coming out soon ? And that is a huge positive :)

Wezz

Do you work for Merseyrail as part of the production/delivery team? Are the battery units delayed or ready for service.
I'm not part of the production or delivery team no, so I have no information regarding which units are ready for service.
I just know that reliability is improving and we're now able to swap out units unlike before.

Do you know if some other units other than the usual 4/5 are going to start coming out soon ? And that is a huge positive :)
Not sure, I'll try to find out though.

Bertie the bus

Established Member
I don't understand how that is a great leap forward. Units are still failing on a daily basis and while there might be a significant number sitting on Kirkdale doing nothing at the moment as only the Kirkby services are 777 operated, when they start getting rolled out there won't be as many sat around waiting for their moment in the limelight.

L401CJF

Established Member
I don't understand how that is a great leap forward. Units are still failing on a daily basis and while there might be a significant number sitting on Kirkdale doing nothing at the moment as only the Kirkby services are 777 operated, when they start getting rolled out there won't be as many sat around waiting for their moment in the limelight.
It's a great leap forward for making certain people look good. Obviously the cancellations caused when one is playing up and has to be swapped is inconvenient to those immediately disrupted, but when it had to be replaced with a 507/8 it made their nice shiny new fleet look bad. Now you can swap one out with another 777, those not caught up in the disruption caused at the time will never know there's been a problem as it's another new train taking over. Big bonuses all around for a job well done!! (Tongue in cheek comment.. don't take it seriously.)

I know new fleets will have teething issues, but speaking to train crew these are just a pain in the backside and to reiterate the comments above, "lucky to last a whole day".

I've been told they're having issues with the PIS systems too, some units have been fitted with a plug in "TosiBox" which logs faults with the PIS. Not sure how adding passengers in the mix can cause faults with the info systems!

The onboard computer in cab display pops up saying "PIS fault. Retire train at next station".

Sam 76

I'm not part of the production or delivery team no, so I have no information regarding which units are ready for service.
I just know that reliability is improving and we're now able to swap out units unlike before.

Not sure, I'll try to find out though.
Thankyou :)

Bertie the bus

Established Member
I know new fleets will have teething issues, but speaking to train crew these are just a pain in the backside and to reiterate the comments above, "lucky to last a whole day".
I’m not sure how much longer they can continue to trot out teething troubles. They are coming up to 2 ½ months in service. After what period of time do teething troubles become a fundamental flaw in their design, construction or testing – 3 months, 6 months, 1 year?

Sam 76

I’m not sure how much longer they can continue to trot out teething troubles. They are coming up to 2 ½ months in service. After what period of time do teething troubles become a fundamental flaw in their design, construction or testing – 3 months, 6 months, 1 year?
I guess it depends what the nature of the faults are. If it’s software that’s fixable such as the apparent PIS issues mentioned above then it can probably still be classed as that. But it is a good point. It’s also kind of crazy that the PIS system is enough to make the train want to stop

Last edited:

bahnause

After what period of time do teething troubles become a fundamental flaw in their design, construction or testing – 3 months, 6 months, 1 year?
Depending on the type and severity of the problems, it can take years. After all, not only bug fixes are made, but other improvements are implemented as well. It takes longer for a completely new development. Improvements tested on individual vehicles might be rolled out to the entire fleet after one or two years.

In case of our Bombardier TWINDEXX fleet, we are still working on it after six (?) years (not including other delays). But we all know, the "Q" in Bombardier stands for quality...

Bertie the bus

Established Member
Depending on the type and severity of the problems, it can take years. After all, not only bug fixes are made, but other improvements are implemented as well. It takes longer for a completely new development. Improvements tested on individual vehicles might be rolled out to the entire fleet after one or two years.

In case of our Bombardier TWINDEXX fleet, we are still working on it after six (?) years (not including other delays). But we all know, the "Q" in Bombardier stands for quality...
The point I was making was teething troubles, and that passengers should expect them when new fleets are introduced, have been trotted out regularly. Experiencing problems after 6 years isn't teething troubles but a fundamental flaw. If the issues on the 777s continue much longer then MerseyTravel/Merseyrail really need to come clean and give passengers a proper explanation as to why they are being inconvenienced by problems with the trains, what they are doing to remedy it, and how it is going to affect the rollout. Though based on their past communications I'm not holding my breath.

As a piece of news if anybody is interested, 777005 has been stabled at new brighton for the last 3 or 4 days. I do not know if it is over here for driver training or further testing, merely relaying that it is stabled at new brighton for anybody wanting to get a photo of it

Established Member
Looks like 777003, 004, 007, 010, 012 and 016 are currently stabled at Southport.

777142 and 144 were still at Walton Old Junction when I passed there on Tuesday evening, with the brake hose sellotaped to the cab window.

Bevan Price

Established Member
2 out of 3 Kirkby line diagrams were 777s around midday today (31 March); 777008/049, plus 508138 were working. Passed another unidenified 777 in the siding at Sandhills.

prod_pep

Established Member
2 out of 3 Kirkby line diagrams were 777s around midday today (31 March); 777008/049, plus 508138 were working. Passed another unidenified 777 in the siding at Sandhills.
The first Kirkby - Liv Central train of the day (0543) failed so I assume 508138 took over from this one.

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
Kirkby line:
  • 0750 Liverpool Central to Kirkby has terminated at Moorfields.
  • 0813 Kirkby to Liverpool Central is now cancelled.
  • 0835 Liverpool Central to Kirkby will now start at Sandhills (due 0842)
I assume this is another 777 being taken out, anyone know if it's a 777 replacing or 507/8?

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Does this mean there's only a limited 777 service today? I'm on the way north and by the time I get to Crewe I need to decide if I'm heading to Liverpool or Manchester. No point going to Liverpool if there's no 777s out!

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
Does this mean there's only a limited 777 service today? I'm on the way north and by the time I get to Crewe I need to decide if I'm heading to Liverpool or Manchester. No point going to Liverpool if there's no 777s out!
It's likely only one of them being taken out of service, so there'll be two 777s and 1 507/8.
It may add 20 minutes if you want to wait for a 777 if you get unlucky and the 507/8 shows up.