• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Merseyrail Class 777 introduction updates

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bertie the bus

Established Member
Is this April fools or real I can’t tell :)
There are local elections next month so it would be expected some people would want the new trains on as many lines, covering as many areas, as possible as soon as possible. They wouldn't be very good politicians if they didn't push for things that made them look good.

danbarnstall

Haha I’ll write it again tomorrow if that helps.

Should post a note of caution to say it would still be a few months before any rollout like this could take place, it certainly wouldn’t be an overnight thing. (But it means certain lines may see 777 passenger services much earlier than originally envisaged).

Sam 76

Haha I’ll write it again tomorrow if that helps.

Should post a note of caution to say it would still be a few months before any rollout like this could take place, it certainly wouldn’t be an overnight thing. (But it means certain lines may see 777 passenger services much earlier than originally envisaged).
That would be interesting. Can see a thing like “Northern Line Complete” if they pop one to Southport. Would make some for good PR

Techniquest

Veteran Member
It's likely only one of them being taken out of service, so there'll be two 777s and 1 507/8.
It may add 20 minutes if you want to wait for a 777 if you get unlucky and the 507/8 shows up.

I had some very bad luck after all. 1820 and 1835 were 50x, and quite honestly 777008 on the 1913 back from Kirkby wasn't that good. I ended up doing 507017 to Kirkby on the 1820 just to do the line one last time, and have one last farewell to the 50x.

Firm seats, PIS that just read 'Liverpool Central' which was not very useful, a let down really! Unlike the 231s, I was not instantly impressed. They're very different to the 50x, and level boarding is cool, but honestly I am in no rush to do any more 777s. I will end up on some more at some point, but I won't be making a special trip for them.

prod_pep

Established Member
777008 was the only 777 out this afternoon. 507017 and 507028 were the other units on the Kirkby line. So much for replacing like with like!

Liverpool 507

777008 was the only 777 out this afternoon. 507017 and 507028 were the other units on the Kirkby line. So much for replacing like with like!
It is becoming very common. I would hope they call it a day on scrapping 50Xs for the time being until the 777s become more reliable.

Sam 76

It is becoming very common. I would hope they call it a day on scrapping 50Xs for the time being until the 777s become more reliable.
I’m not sure that’s totally in their control at this point. As they run of out miles they will get replaced as they won’t want to overhaul the unit for just a few months

Wezz

I’m not sure that’s totally in their control at this point. As they run of out miles they will get replaced as they won’t want to overhaul the unit for just a few months
Correct, Merseytravel have suspended overhauls on the Class 508's, Class 508 units are now being withdrawn as and when milage runs out.
507's will only be withdrawn if they become seriously damaged, as was the case with 507019.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Firm seats, PIS that just read 'Liverpool Central' which was not very useful, a let down really! Unlike the 231s, I was not instantly impressed. They're very different to the 50x, and level boarding is cool, but honestly I am in no rush to do any more 777s. I will end up on some more at some point, but I won't be making a special trip for them.

Sums up my view. These are not Stadler's finest hour. Level boarding is good, but the rest of the product is "meh", "it'll do", with some very odd design faults. Which I guess is what the 507/508 were as built, or the huge fleets of Mk3 based EMUs.

Bar the level boarding the Desiro City, London Underground S8 and Class 345 are just massively, massively better at what these are trying to do.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Bar the level boarding the Desiro City, London Underground S8 and Class 345 are just massively, massively better at what these are trying to do.
The 777 at least has a far nicer internal atmosphere, particularly compared to the dentist's clinic on rails.

childwallblues

Established Member
I had some very bad luck after all. 1820 and 1835 were 50x, and quite honestly 777008 on the 1913 back from Kirkby wasn't that good. I ended up doing 507017 to Kirkby on the 1820 just to do the line one last time, and have one last farewell to the 50x.

Do I assume that you don't live locally? You are entitled to your opinion but at the end of the day it is the local people whose opinions will count. Most of these units have been sitting around in sidings for up to three years so there are bound to be teething troubles.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Sums up my view. These are not Stadler's finest hour. Level boarding is good, but the rest of the product is "meh", "it'll do", with some very odd design faults. Which I guess is what the 507/508 were as built, or the huge fleets of Mk3 based EMUs.

Funnily enough you came to mind when I was ultra disappointed by the 777. Stadler make some amazing trains, no question of that, but I did not think much of the 777.

Agreed that the S8 and 345 are far superior to the 777. I would absolutely do a 345 from Shenfield to Reading (I think that starts happening soon?) than go and do another 777 any time soon.

The 777 at least has a far nicer internal atmosphere, particularly compared to the dentist's clinic on rails.

You have to be kidding me. I've not sat on such an uninviting train in a long time, and if I'm finding the Brussels Metro sets more comfortable than a 777, something is not right.

Do I assume that you don't live locally? You are entitled to your opinion but at the end of the day it is the local people whose opinions will count. Most of these units have been sitting around in sidings for up to three years so there are bound to be teething troubles.

Correct, this is a well known fact, I live in Hereford. I do not expect my opinion of the 777 to go down well, but I was disappointed and I had to share this view. Teething troubles should be over by now, I'm sorry but that excuse is no longer valid. With the battery units, I could understand that as they're yet to enter service.

I would expect a major failure to wipe out the 777s, but 'teething problems' is not a valid excuse any longer. The first few weeks, yes fair enough but now? No, not good enough, Merseyrail and Stadler need to sort their lives out with these trains and get them actually working.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

To the 700/707/717? Not to me. It's drab grey and overlit. At least there's a bit of blue in the former, and the old SWT 707 interior felt warm and welcoming with the red.

The 345 however is classy and wonderfully British.

Killingworth

Established Member
Patience. The derided new/old 769s are managing to operate most of their intended Southport services, but I'd better leave that digression there.

Established Member
Patience. The derided new/old 769s are managing to operate most of their intended Southport services, but I'd better leave that digression there.
Talk of resolving teething problems and running to Southport isn’t digression when the 777s will have to do it as well eventually.

After the issues with the 769s which decimated the reliability of Southport - Manchester services from May 2021, they are now some of the more reliable services in Manchester since December 2022 using the same pool of 769s.

Hopefully Southport will not suffer the same issues with 777s by that point in their rollout, a similar timeframe of 18 months being expected.

507 001

Established Member

I’m local, and I agree with him.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Thank you. 230s have started over on the Wirral and thats another Merseyside train that they can go and have a dig at. Of course they too are being maintained by Stadler at Birkenhead North.

Are you seriously suggesting people won't like the 230s just because they operate in Merseyside?

If so, what a ridiculous comment.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Thank you. 230s have started over on the Wirral and thats another Merseyside train that they can go and have a dig at. Of course they too are being maintained by Stadler at Birkenhead North.

I suspect the 230s will have a far nicer interior than the 777s, the old LNR ones certainly did. Though I do also consider the TfW interior stark, it at least has a splash of colour!

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
230 interior (from TfW, computer generated image) vs 777 interior (real picture)
47a9e932a63c4548b53f5189c77ebca1
img_80-3_3.jpg

To me to 230's does look better, although I'm yet to try either in person, so can't comment on the atmosphere.

prod_pep

Established Member
This just comes across as completely conspiratorial. I'm a local who cannot stand the 777s. They are naff and, as mentioned before, I'll be switching away from the train for good once they arrive on the Southport line.

On Saturday, I had a ride by night on 777008. Aside from the previous complaints of poor ride quality and dreadfully hard seating, the lighting is far too bright at night and is in 'eye burning' territory. Also rather disconcerting were the retractable door steps dropping down with a clunk whenever anyone stood on them.

Last edited:

AlexNL

Established Member
Also rather disconcerting were the retractable door steps dropping down with a clunk whenever anyone stood on them.
Which is completely by design, as the step also acts as a switch. The door won't close as long as someone's standing on the step.

Here on the continent, all modern rolling stock with such retractable steps does the same thing. I'm not quite sure what our slightly older stock (such as Stadler GTWs) does when you stand on the retractable step, those don't run close to me and I don't usually step on the step anyway!

Vespa

Established Member
Has the class 230 started running in public service ?

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Bonkers comment.

Agreed. One of the least sensible posts I've seen this month so far.

@prod_pep I hope you don't mind my asking, is your alternative to MerseyRail going to be Arriva/Stagecoach? If so that's a rather damning view of the 777s, although I really can't blame you there. I think I would look to use buses to/from Liverpool on the Southport route too, unless my journey was possible by foot/cycle.