• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Merseyrail Class 777 introduction updates

LPJOHN

I saw one of the new trains on test at Kirkby this morning. I assumed wrongly that it would stop/pause at Kirkby, hence only one picture on the bend into Kirkby station and a poor quality picture on the other side of Glover’s Brow bridge. It did not appear to slow down at all going through Kirkby station. It was very quiet even for a 777. I was going to wait for its return, but I gave up when I got soaked from a downpour.

Attachments

• IMG_6529.jpeg
    IMG_6529.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 183
  • IMG_6531.jpeg
    IMG_6531.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 182
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

py_megapixel

Established Member
Where's the shoegear? I ask because it doesn't seem there's anything technically preventing a non-battery unit running to Kirkby, running the front off the third rail but keeping the shoe connected towards the rear.

Of course it would be extremely undesirable to actually do that in practice, because any overrun of the platform would lead to a stranded unit on the single line, but could it happen in principle?

Last edited:

jamesst

Where's the shoegear? I ask because it doesn't seem there's anything technically preventing a non-battery unit running to Kirkby, running the front off the third rail but keeping the a shoe connected towards the rear.

Of course it would be extremely undesirable to actually do that in practice, because any overrun of the platform would lead to a stranded unit on the single line, but could it happen in principle?
Suppose it could in principle but non battery units are now banned beyond the Fazakerley turnback and Kirkby is no longer classed as a turnback platform.

In addition the shoe gear lifts automatically on the battery units now on approach to Fazakerley

Scouse77

On Moderation
It was a cost saving decision by Merseytravel and is also a cost effective way of proving the technology works for future, longer extensions. Don't forget upto 60 additional units are still available as an option to provide stock for said extensions.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
It was a cost saving decision by Merseytravel and is also a cost effective way of proving the technology works for future, longer extensions. Don't forget upto 60 additional units are still available as an option to provide stock for said extensions.

I would like to mention that as the technology has been scientifically tested, in science you do not prove or disprove anything at all.

You either uphold or reject the null hypothesis of what is being tested.

OutdoorM

Please get them tested and get more if they work. Then onto the borderlands route if at all plossible.

chiltern trev

Anyone know if there is a deadline for exercising the option of additional units?

All I remember reading ( although I cannot remember where so please do not ask for evidence ) the order was for originally 52 units later increased to 53 with an option to order another 60 if required, I do not know if a deadline date for the order of the extra 60 units was ever issued or even discussed between merseyrail and stadler.

Perhaps anybody working for or with connections in either company may be able to find out information about that.

Sam 76

Interesting observation this morning. 777013 on the 08:31 central to Ormskirk had 3 engineers on. One in the lead cab and 2 on the rear. Potentially troubleshooting again ?

karlbbb

Interesting observation this morning. 777013 on the 08:31 central to Ormskirk had 3 engineers on. One in the lead cab and 2 on the rear. Potentially troubleshooting again ?
I’ve been in a couple of services like this now. Good to see, and here’s hoping the issues can get solved.

I got hit by an early morning cancellation, and another train I was on to get home went pop at Sandhills this week alone.

MTN 24J

Not the correct thread but...

Anyone have details of what's happened at Moorfields about 1700hrs today? All northern line trains suspended into Moorfields/central and starting/terminating at Sandhills.

Sam 76

Anyone have details of what's happened at Moorfields about 1700hrs today? All northern line trains suspended into Moorfields/central and starting/terminating at Sandhills.
Something needs to be done with the 777s and rush hour. No 8 car trains and no Kirkby services is chaos. It’s dangerous the 17:16 if someone falls you could look at 100 injuries there and then

karlbbb

I believe it was some kind of power issue.

I was on 777009 yesterday and it had reverted to playing the Eurovision welcome sound bite from a few months ago. Have they accidentally reverted some software?

Ribbleman

Where's the shoegear? I ask because it doesn't seem there's anything technically preventing a non-battery unit running to Kirkby, running the front off the third rail but keeping the shoe connected towards the rear.

A unit that accidentally overran at Kirkby could rescue itself as all 777s have shunt batteries, primarily intended for depot movements but able to propel a set over a short distance out on the main line.

L401CJF

Established Member
Merseytravel Facebook page has announced that 1x777 is to be rolled out on the West Kirby line from today to help with the Hoylake Golf Open.

karlbbb

A staff member on board a train today said that within 12 months the standing floor space above the sliding steps would be “marked with chevrons to stop people standing on them” as “the weight is too much and stopping the steps from deploying”.

That cannot be true? Please say that’s not true. That would swallow up a very high percentage of the standing floor space available on these new units.

AndrewE

Established Member
A staff member on board a train today said that within 12 months the standing floor space above the sliding steps would be “marked with chevrons to stop people standing on them” as “the weight is too much and stopping the steps from deploying”.

That cannot be true? Please say that’s not true. That would swallow up a very high percentage of the standing floor space available on these new units.
My reaction is that I really can't believe that painting stripes on the floor near doors will stop people standing there on a crush-loaded train! If it's true it sounds like a knee-jerk "solution" (non-solution) which is totally inadequate in a public transport situation.

dm1

It also sounds very strange given that sliding steps operate elsewhere without any such problems or restrictions.

To me it seems like the maintenance staff don't yet have enough experience with them to maintain them properly because they are still so rare in the UK - or that something went seriously wrong at design stage. Usually there is a very big metal plate above them that should have no trouble withstanding the weight of people standing on it.

AndrewE

Established Member
Usually there is a very big metal plate above them that should have no trouble withstanding the weight of people standing on it.
That is what a train's floor is for, after all!
(It may be a big plate, but is it thick enough?)

zuriblue

Not sure why it'd differ from any other Stadler.
Certainly the doubled up KISSes that I see on my local SBahn line don’t seem to have much in the way of problems. Possibly too many people are standing pushed up against the doors which I tend not to see even on crush loaded stock in CH.

Established Member
Lol this is shocking poor design. The way things are going, I'm picturing a recorded message to request that... err.. "our larger guests" remain seated until the doors open.

Skie

I call wibble. It wouldn’t take 12 months to put some markings in the floor, even accounting for “Railway Time”

py_megapixel

Established Member
Lol this is shocking poor design.
Only if it's actually true though. Do you not think it's a little implausible, considering this technology is in use on other units from the same manufacturer elsewhere in the UK and indeed on a variety of rolling stock all over Europe, with no such issues?