• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Merseyrail Class 777 introduction updates

d9009alycidon

Interesting to read about the reliability issues with these units, still this is nothing new. By the mid 1960s the new AM3 (later class 303) units for the Glasgow Suburban Electrification were considered the most complicated electric units of their time. Since their return to traffic following the major transformer issues that put them out of service for a year, further modification were needed in the quest for higher component reliability and longevity and eventually these mods ran into hundreds, (including the strengthening of the floor in the vestibules to combat the effects of stiletto heels). Investigations continued towards a reduction in down time, as at that time there was a diagramming provision for 19 units to be continually out of use for maintenance. This represented less than 79% availability.

It just shows that somehow lessons are never really learned....

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MTN 24J

Maybe I'm just imagining this, but have drivers been told to slow down on the northern line?

My journey from Kirkby this morning seemed slower than normal but I did prefer the smoother ride, and not being battered around.

The same seemed to be the case on my return trip from Central, with the driver not accelerating as hard out of Moorfields?

On a side note, any idea when the new 777/1s will be introduced?

karlbbb

Maybe I'm just imagining this, but have drivers been told to slow down on the northern line?

My journey from Kirkby this morning seemed slower than normal but I did prefer the smoother ride, and not being battered around.

The same seemed to be the case on my return trip from Central, with the driver not accelerating as hard out of Moorfields?

I also had the same this morning, to the point of being very noticeable, but my homeward journey seemed back to normal. That said, the home journey was delayed due to a door issue so I guess that was just making up time.

KevinTurvey

I've noticed quite a lot of my journeys on the Ormskirk line now take a minute or three longer than they did six months back, and they never seem to make up any time despite the significantly more power available than the 507/8's. Quite bizarre really, I would have expected the opposite.

irish_rail

Established Member
Could they have been "muzzled"? I know with the IETs the original take off speed has been somewhat reduced, (most likely due to catching passengers unaware who then fell over whilst stowing luggage, or maybe to reduce engine wear). Maybe on the 777s by reducing the acceleration they are hoping to increase reliability? Just a thought from a bystander, as I know nothing about electric trains too be fair!

jamesst

Nope,noones been told to slow down. Both lines have healthy turnaround times so there's not much point bombing it around

Sam 76

Interesting to note that the 777s have had 2 non fault days in a row on the Ormskirk and Kirkby services (Tuesday and Wednesday). If this continues it must be seen as progress given there is 7/8 units at anyone time

adam_haddad40

Liverpool 507

The West Kirby unit has failed twice today. First on 2W06 which never left West Kirby, then again on 2W21 at Moorfields. On the New Brighton line, 5N02 never ran but unsure if a 777 is running on that line.

prod_pep

Established Member
Eurovision-themed 777013 was reportedly the New Brighton set this morning. Wasn't that stabled there for a few days prior?

Tuesday was not quite a fault-free day for the Ormskirk and Kirkby 777s according to Open Train Times. Tuesday's 1731 Liv Cen - Ormskirk was caped at Sandhills with the 1819 Ormskirk return fully cancelled due to a train fault. Signs of improvement perhaps but a long, long way to go.

karlbbb

It's extremely likely the coupler hasn't been used since delivery. There's only been one or two test trains running as 8-car that I've seen, and the rescue of a failed unit where there were two units coupled but one dead.

Wrex2J78

Eurovision themed 777013 worked New Brighton diagram 2N02? today until diagram 2N17 (around 11.15). It then stood in New Brighton Platform 2 and is now back on its way to Kirkdale as 5T67. Presumably it failed after the 2N17 diagram.

I have just been informed by my other half that there was a failure at James St around 15:00, does anyone have any further information on whether it was 777 related please, info was posted on the merseyrail website

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
I have just been informed by my other half that there was a failure at James St around 15:00, does anyone have any further information on whether it was 777 related please, info was posted on the merseyrail website

This service is partially cancelled​

This service was cancelled between Liverpool James Street and Chester due to a problem with the traction equipment (MD).
Not sure what diagram is the Chester 777 is (or if it's even running)

L401CJF

Established Member

Birkonian

It impacted the whole Wirral network this afternoon. Needs sorting quickly.

ExRes

Established Member
Schedules currently showing on RTT for next Wednesday, 1333 6Q77 Wembley Rec 1-7 to Walton Old Jct MSC Sdgs and 2309 6Q78 to Kirkdale CS

karlbbb

1701 Central to Ormskirk has popped before it even got back into Central from the reversing siding. That’s a busy service to not be running!

Statto

Established Member
2 cancellations on the Wirral too, assuming the 777 as well.
2W06, the 07.51 from West Kirby didn't even make the round trip this morning, as it got canceled at Meols on the return journey, & seems like the issues started at James Street P1, were it departed 8 minutes late.