• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Merseyrail Class 777 introduction updates

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Sam 76

Looks like 777036 has entered service today working the Kirkby diagram this afternoon obviously not as far as Headbolt Lane. Seen on the 17:25 departure from Sandhills

karlbbb

777s, once again, not having a good morning. Delays, cancellations, and early terminations galore this morning on both the Headbolt and Ormskirk lines. Getting a bit tiresome now.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
777s, once again, not having a good morning. Delays, cancellations, and early terminations galore this morning on both the Headbolt and Ormskirk lines. Getting a bit tiresome now.

Is it worse than when the new trains entered service with Northern just before COVID?

childwallblues

Established Member
I arrived at Headbolt Lane from RCD to catch the 1341 to LVC. It looked like all xx41 were cancelled so Iwaited for the 1411 which was 777140. Is this the first day in service for this unit?
777023 was seen at Sandhills out on trst.

LPJOHN

777 152 was in passenger service today, I believe for the first time.

The 16:05 to Headbolt Lane; from Central, was very busy; people standing from Moorfields, and when it left Kirkby it still had a good number of people on it.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Has 777013 now lost its Eurovision decals?

It definitely had last Friday when I observed it on Birkenhead North depot. I missed out on seeing it in the flesh, a really funky livery! If I'd known it was there, I'd have tried for a photo of it being back to yellow and black.

It's a shame it didn't keep it as a long-term reminder of Eurovision in Liverpool, given how long other liveries have lasted on Merseyrail!

The_Train

Established Member
Please refer to post 5738 and that is your answer.
Post 5738 asks the same question I have asked :rolleyes:

It definitely had last Friday when I observed it on Birkenhead North depot. I missed out on seeing it in the flesh, a really funky livery! If I'd known it was there, I'd have tried for a photo of it being back to yellow and black.

It's a shame it didn't keep it as a long-term reminder of Eurovision in Liverpool, given how long other liveries have lasted on Merseyrail!
Thanks Tech :)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
No worries! I was meant to post about it last week, however I've been rather side-tracked by a combination of injury and a cold. The latter appears to be gone, hurrah, but the weird injury is not and I'm booked in for a physio appointment. Monday feels like an eternity away!

karlbbb

Bit of a hatchet job in the Echo this morning on the 777s (I wouldn't click this link unless you have a robust ad blocker; the Echo site is appalling)

Not that I disagree with much of it - my own experience is of poor reliability, often seeing services cancelled or late and thus further crowding the services that have managed to run. It is also very, very silly that we still, somehow, don't have 8 car running to help peak times. Rolling services out on the Wirral just to show off the new trains is a poor choice when they should be getting Ormskirk line back to capacity that hasn't been there for most of this year (6-car services were being dropped to 3 way before the 777 introduction).

Sam 76

Bit of a hatchet job in the Echo this morning on the 777s (I wouldn't click this link unless you have a robust ad blocker; the Echo site is appalling)

Not that I disagree with much of it - my own experience is of poor reliability, often seeing services cancelled or late and thus further crowding the services that have managed to run. It is also very, very silly that we still, somehow, don't have 8 car running to help peak times. Rolling services out on the Wirral just to show off the new trains is a poor choice when they should be getting Ormskirk line back to capacity that hasn't been there for most of this year (6-car services were being dropped to 3 way before the 777 introduction).
Wouldn’t surprise me if Southport ends up with 1 or 2 before the end of the year. Just for the photo opportunity of rolling them out on all lines in 2023.

It’s the Kirkby passengers I feel sorry for to be honest. It’s not been great for them and now the 30 min service and the battery trains failing is an utter farce. I like the 777s but the way passengers have been treated on this line is nothing short of a disgrace

8A Rail

Established Member
Updated Arrival List as follows:
Kirkdale C.S. = 001 to 020 inclusive, 023, 024, 026, 028, 030, 031, 036, 049, 140, 142, 144, 146, 148, 150 and 152.
WOJn MSC Sidings. - 021, 025 and 027.

Last edited:

prod_pep

Established Member
An evening of chaos on the Kirkby Headbolt Lane route with no trains for over two hours and services curtailed at Kirkby after that. Looks like 777146 was the offending unit at Fazakerley.

Spekejunction

News websites can have too many ads, and they normally have a dog advert as well.
Not a hatchet job.more a response to 777 unreliabilly.
Granddaughter travels this route and her train was cancelled this morning.
An echo editor uses the Ormskirk line and has experienced numerous delays .
Merseyrail named Stadler as working to fix things.
Someone needs to be honest with the public..

Sam 76

Just as the 777/0 slowly start to settle down the 777/1 come and ramp up the chaos :(. Serious question who forced Merseyrail to push the battery units to service ? There is no way they can have been happy with this. Also on the 777/0 need 8 car services now as will fix a lot of the sliding step issues

Established Member
Noticed a few articles in the last 24 hours about this.

I do take Reach media journalists understanding of most things in life with a pinch of salt, but on this... they're echoing (pun) the views of a lot of the long suffering commuters who've truly had enough of the mess being made of a once excellent rail system. A combination of terrible planning decisions and unreliable improperly tested rolling stock is driving customers away causing long term damage. Perhaps now is the time Merseytravel seizes the contract and clears out all those incompetent senior and middle managers at Merseyrail.