• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Merseyrail Class 777 introduction updates

Sam 76

Would anyone happen to know please whether a Class 777 unit was running (in passenger service) on the Southport - Hunts Cross line yesterday, Saturday 24th Feb?

To the best of my knowledge, Class 777's haven't yet operated in passenger service on weekends on this line?
I believe diagrams are increased from tomorrow and Saturday 777s will start from next Saturday

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sansyy

After all the negativity regarding the 777s how are people on the Southport-Hunts Cross line feeling about increased 777 diagrams? Personally I’d be worried and skeptical of how service on my line would be especially if I was a frequent commuter. The three times I’ve been on the Southport line 2 cancellations due to 777s malfunctioning and one was a delayed 6-car due to a 777 breaking down on its way past Sandhills.

LPJOHN

I believe there are two 777 running on the Southport line today.

One of them is 777 007, I have just been past it, on its way to Southport. It has also been “Tagged”, I had heard a couple of train managers earlier saying they had heard one had been tagged. Also, the information screen and shelters at BankHall are covered in graffiti.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
A 777 has been bricked at Aintree. https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/new...ail-passengers-evacuated-after-brick-28695357

Looks like this was the affected train.

Moorfields to Aughton Park? How's that work, there's no points that can be used to turn a train there?

MR-507508

I believe there are two 777 running on the Southport line today.

One of them is 777 007, I have just been past it, on its way to Southport. It has also been “Tagged”, I had heard a couple of train managers earlier saying they had heard one had been tagged. Also, the formation screen and shelters at BankHall are covered in graffiti.
It looks as though a unit swap is currently taking place at Southport - perhaps this is 777007 returning back to Kirkdale depot due to the graffiti. I take it this was done recently, overnight perhaps?

LPJOHN

It looks as though a unit swap is currently taking place at Southport - perhaps this is 777007 returning back to Kirkdale depot due to the graffiti. I take it this was done recently, overnight perhaps?
I think it was still in service on its way to Southport.

I cannot confirm if it was done last night, I just happen to overhear a conversation.

It looks like BankHall was done last night, the train manager said it was not like it is yesterday.

trainophile

Established Member
After all the negativity regarding the 777s how are people on the Southport-Hunts Cross line feeling about increased 777 diagrams? Personally I’d be worried and skeptical of how service on my line would be especially if I was a frequent commuter. The three times I’ve been on the Southport line 2 cancellations due to 777s malfunctioning and one was a delayed 6-car due to a 777 breaking down on its way past Sandhills.
Well I'm nervous for one. I'm not a commuter but do catch a train from Lime Street on an Advance ticket so timing is pretty essential. I'm seriously considering changing my route from Southport to travel via Wigan, it's an extra few quid but worth it for the better chance of problems not arising. Also the toilets! (Assuming they are working.)

Are we receiving any reassurance that these problems are likely to be reduced/eliminated over time, or is it just something we're stuck with for the life of the trains?

Skie

Well I'm nervous for one. I'm not a commuter but do catch a train from Lime Street on an Advance ticket so timing is pretty essential. I'm seriously considering changing my route from Southport……

If there is an issue on Merseyrail that means you miss your connecting service, you won’t have any bother getting the next one from Lime Street. Just politely approach the guard/Train Manager and let them know before the train departs Lime Street.

trainophile

Established Member
If there is an issue on Merseyrail that means you miss your connecting service, you won’t have any bother getting the next one from Lime Street. Just politely approach the guard/Train Manager and let them know before the train departs Lime Street.
Well yes, but my timings are geared to get the bus from my destination station to home, and it becomes inconvenient (waiting around for ages) or impossible (missed last one) if I'm on a later service. I suppose the sensible thing is to get an earlier train from Southport than I need to - I do allow an extra half hour, but some of the delays I've heard about on 777s would still not necessarily give me enough time.

Sam 76

Just an update on this. Up to 9/12 trains can now be formed of 777s on the Southports with 3x6 cars making up the remaining places. A huge increase however , it has been stressed substitutions are expected
Not sure at the moment, but Tim Brawn on Mersey 2.0 has confirmed the increase and I imagine tomorow they will release the specifics :)

Bikeman78

Established Member
Just an update on this. Up to 9/12 trains can now be formed of 777s on the Southports with 3x6 cars making up the remaining places. A huge increase however , it has been stressed substitutions are expected
I'm confused. There are 10 trains on the Southport line. There were four 777 diagrams last week.

YorkRanger

Did see battery 777142 at Liverpool Central this morning waiting to leave with the 0901 Ormskirk train. Unusual to see one in passenger service away from the Headbolt line. Whether that was planned or a late change due to the earlier Northern Line disruption I don't know.

They do make an occasional appearance on the Ormskirk line. Currently 777140 is at Ormskirk, next working 2G29 (18:49 Ormskirk to Liverpool Central).

Liverpool 507

They do make an occasional appearance on the Ormskirk line. Currently 777140 is at Ormskirk, next working 2G29 (18:49 Ormskirk to Liverpool Central).
I suspect this will be more of a regular occurrence whilst there are two 777s (021 & 032) that haven't been used in passenger service yet.

Sam 76

777001 has failed at Southport on the 7:12 to Hunts Cross . Likely to be cancelled and the next service is a 4 car also, could get cosy to say the least.

Now cancelled due to the door key card system not functioning

Last edited:

Jamesrob637

Established Member
777027 began operating in passenger service today, starting with 5O03 ex Kirkdale.

Has it broken down yet?

777001 has failed at Southport on the 7:12 to Hunts Cross . Likely to be cancelled and the next service is a 4 car also, could get cosy to say the least.

Cancelled due to "the planned train being replaced with a slower train"

ROFL

Liverpool 507

Has it broken down yet?

Cancelled due to "the planned train being replaced with a slower train"

ROFL
Same unit (777001) failed again at Aigburth working 2S20. I noted the unit running ECS to Southport at 11:40. Seems to be back in service again now.

Established Member
Almost had my first 777 failure today, with 777016 temporarily sitting down at Birkenhead Central near lunchtime. A full reset of the unit eventually had us on the move again, and unsurprisingly, the guard made their dislike for the 777s very clear when asked by another passenger what was going on.

CHAPS2034

Looking at National Rail Enquiries, there seems to have been disruption for nearly 3 hours this evening on the Northern Line due to a broken down train at Sandhills.

Was this perchance a 777?

Engineering work on the Northern Line Today meant that the Southport to Hunts Cross services could only run as far as Hall Road, however I noticed the PIS on the 777's were still showing "Hunts Cross". Is it not possible for them to show the correct Terminating station "Hall Road"? I'm sure their predecessors Class 507/508 fleet were capable of doing this.

sansyy

Engineering work on the Northern Line Today meant that the Southport to Hunts Cross services could only run as far as Hall Road, however I noticed the PIS on the 777's were still showing "Hunts Cross". Is it not possible for them to show the correct Terminating station "Hall Road"? I'm sure their predecessors Class 507/508 fleet were capable of doing this.
Pretty sure they can't when there was maintenance on the Wirral Line in the tunnel the trains were displaying Liverpool Central despite terminating at Rock Ferry whereas the 507 running on the diagram before was displaying Rock Ferry has it should.

Skie

At a guess I’d say updating the PIS to allow for alternative terminating points on temporary diagrams is on the to-do list but likely to be nowhere near the same priority as other fixes.