• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Merseyrail emergency coronavirus timetable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Well that's fair enough. Sunday is "near Saturday".

:D :D

In timetable terms on Merseyrail it's not, of course, it's roughly twice the service. Saturdays on Merseyrail are near-identical to weekdays, I think the only differences are a very slightly later start and the point where it moves from 30 to 15 minute frequency is very slightly later. Maybe not even that.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheSel

In timetable terms on Merseyrail it's not, of course, it's roughly twice the service. Saturdays on Merseyrail are near-identical to weekdays, I think the only differences are a very slightly later start and the point where it moves from 30 to 15 minute frequency is very slightly later. Maybe not even that.

Pretty much, yes. Identical on the Northern lines, and only minor differences to/from Ellesmere Port (plus a 'Hooton short' - neatly numbered 2H00) on the Wirral side.

Jamesrob637

Established Member

And some peak extras don't run which means that what does run has more scope for 6-car operation. Not sure if 8-car will be possible on the new trains if they enter service during the restrictions.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
And some peak extras don't run which means that what does run has more scope for 6-car operation. Not sure if 8-car will be possible on the new trains if they enter service during the restrictions.

They are designed to run as 8-car formations but there are some signal position issues because they are slightly longer.

jamesst

To be fair it all comes down to what happens to after this lockdown is lifted.
If face masks become compulsory then I'd expect an all day sunday service (with weekday start times) to be in effect and things build up from there.
However if social distancing has to maintained then a shuttle service with only a certain amount of stations open with monitored boarding would become the new temporary norm.

MR-507508

Merseyrail have just announced that from Mon 18th May, the frequency of services will increase.
This involves services starting before 7 am and running through until the usual finish times, with a 30 minute frequency during the day.
An hourly service will operate after 7 pm on most lines (45 minutes on the New Brighton/West Kirby line interworking and 90 min service on Ellesmere Port line after 20:14).
There will also be a few additional services on the Southport-Hunts Cross line in the morning and evening peak.
Sunday service remains at the reduced frequency for now.

MR-507508

Could we see the frequency of trains increase to the usual 15 minutes service any time soon on Merseyrail?

Last edited:

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
From https://www.merseyrail.org/seasonal/covid-19-july-timetable-changes.aspx

From Sunday 5 July timetable changes will be made and additional services will run across our network. These changes to services are being put in place to support the expected increase in passenger numbers, as more people begin to make necessary journeys across the City Region. A summary of changes can be found below:

Monday to Saturday Services

• Southport line – services will return to running every 15 minutes throughout the day.
  • Hunts Cross line - services will return to running every 15 minutes throughout the day.
  • Kirkby line – a 30 minute service will run all day.
  • Ormskirk line - a 30 minute service will run all day.
  • Chester & Ellesmere Port line - a 30 minute service will run on both lines with a 15 minute service running between Hooton and Liverpool city centre stations.
  • New Brighton line - a 30 minute service will run all day.
  • West Kirby line - a 30 minute service will run all day.

Sunday Services

• Southport line - a 15 minute service will run between 10:00 and 19:00 and every 30 minutes in the morning and evening.
  • Hunts Cross line - an hourly service will run all day.
  • Kirkby line – an hourly service will run all day.
  • Ormskirk line – an hourly service will run all day.
  • Chester & Ellesmere Port line - an hourly service will run all day on both lines with an additional hourly shuttle service between Ellesmere Port and Hooton stations which provides connections to and from Liverpool city centre.
  • New Brighton line - a 45 minute service will run all day.
  • West Kirby line - a 45 minute service will run all day.
Evening services vary in frequency, full timetable information can be found below or by using the journey planner.

Current timetable information can be found here.

You can help to keep yourself and others safe by following our latest travel advice and only travelling if your journey is necessary. Please remember that face coverings must be worn at all times on the Merseyrail network.

MR-507508

Of that, will much if anything be 6-car?
Most lines which are remaining at 30 minute frequency are still 6 cars throughout the day. The 6 cars split on Ormskirk, New Brighton and West Kirby lines. Presumably to save on mileage and allow the units to rotate for exams/maintenance in the evening.
Ellesmere Port line is 3 cars and I think also Kirkby.
The Southport-Hunts Cross line has gone back to forming, splitting and reforming 6 cars for the morning and evening peaks, with 3 cars running off peak on the Southport-Hunts Cross line.

It is the option of having an increased frequency (15 mins), but less 6 car formations or a reduced (30 min frequency) and more 6 car formations.

MR-507508

I assume that's down to having too many staff either self isolating or shielding to up to full frequency?
That is bound to be a factor, especially at the start of lockdown. But it must also be a factor as to whether its financially viable to up the frequency, the passenger numbers have not returned and may not return for quite some time.

Does anyone know whether Merseyrail are making use of the furlough scheme for guards, drivers and/or station staff?
I have heard a number of reports of passengers being unable to buy tickets when they start their journey due to ticket offices being closed or operating on reduced hours now.

MR-507508

After just under 2 months since a normal service (15 min frequency) resumed on the Northern line, from today services will be reduced.
Kirkby, Ormskirk and Hunts Cross services will reduce to a 30 min frequency.
Southport to Liverpool Central will remain at a 15 min frequency.
To allow for this, the Liverpool to Hunts Cross section of the line has been combined with the Ormskirk line, resulting in Ormskirk to Hunts Cross straight through running.

6 cars are planned to run throughout the day for those lines which have a 30 min frequency, with some of the peak services strengthened to 6 cars on the Southport section.

No change on the Wirral line, since this line did not see the service frequency increase post-lockdown.

I believe staffing of the 15 min timetable is the main reason for this reduction in service.

This timetable looks to be in place until at least the end of the year.

TheSel

After just under 2 months since a normal service (15 min frequency) resumed on the Northern line, from today services will be reduced.
Kirkby, Ormskirk and Hunts Cross services will reduce to a 30 min frequency.
Southport to Liverpool Central will remain at a 15 min frequency.
To allow for this, the Liverpool to Hunts Cross section of the line has been combined with the Ormskirk line, resulting in Ormskirk to Hunts Cross straight through running.

6 cars are planned to run throughout the day for those lines which have a 30 min frequency, with some of the peak services strengthened to 6 cars on the Southport section.

No change on the Wirral line, since this line did not see the service frequency increase post-lockdown.

I believe staffing of the 15 min timetable is the main reason for this reduction in service.

This timetable looks to be in place until at least the end of the year.
Any idea when this will be updated on Merseyrail's website? I've just looked, and it still refers to the changes from Monday 7 September.

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
Further changes to Merseyrail: Southport dropping to half-hourly. Per https://www.merseyrail.org/seasonal/southport-line-timetable-change.aspx

Following on from the announcement that the government is to place England into national restrictions, from Monday 9 November services between Liverpool Central and Southport will be operating at a 30-minute frequency Monday to Sunday.

These services will be running as six-car trains where possible to maintain capacity on the Southport line.

Services between Southport and Hunts Cross will continue to terminate at Liverpool Central, meaning passengers will not be able to travel directly between the stations and will have to change at Liverpool Central. Full timetable information is available at the bottom of this page.

The timetable across the rest of the Merseyrail network continues to operate as follows:

• Ormskirk and Kirkby lines – every 30 minutes Monday to Sunday
  • Hunts Cross line – every 30 minutes Monday to Sunday
  • Chester and Ellesmere Port lines – every 30 minutes Monday to Sunday (15-minute service between Hooton and Liverpool)
  • West Kirby and New Brighton lines – every 30 minutes Monday to Sunday (15-minute service between Birkenhead North and Liverpool)

trainophile

Established Member
Further changes to Merseyrail: Southport dropping to half-hourly. Per https://www.merseyrail.org/seasonal/southport-line-timetable-change.aspx

Services between Southport and Hunts Cross will continue to terminate at Liverpool Central, meaning passengers will not be able to travel directly between the stations and will have to change at Liverpool Central

So if you have a connection at South Parkway you'll have to walk to Lime Street presumably.

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
So if you have a connection at South Parkway you'll have to walk to Lime Street presumably.
Or wait on the platform at Central for the next (ex-Ormskirk) train to South Parkway: a quick glance at National Rail Enquiries for next Thursday (after the timetable change) suggests changing at Sandhills (which is, of course, the earliest possible point so what NRE tends to suggest) and then waiting nine minutes for the Ormskirk - Hunts Cross train.

trainophile

Established Member
Oh right, well I never realised in all these years that the Ormskirk service extends to Hunts Cross. It has always seemed to terminate at Central when I've been down there, and then go back to Ormskirk. Perhaps this is a new thing, or I have just not paid due attention until now.

MR-507508

Oh right, well I never realised in all these years that the Ormskirk service extends to Hunts Cross. It has always seemed to terminate at Central when I've been down there, and then go back to Ormskirk. Perhaps this is a new thing, or I have just not paid due attention until now.
You are correct, it is a new thing which only come into action in the last few weeks.
During the earlier restrictions during the first lockdown, on Sundays there were Hunts Cross-Ormskirk workings.
Apart from those, it is usually Southport-Hunts Cross and Ormskirk-Liverpool Central.

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
Indeed, we don't seem to have posted the October update https://www.merseyrail.org/seasonal/covid-19-october-timetable-changes.aspx (although I think updated today, presumably for the Southport line):

Latest Update Thursday 5 November

From Monday 9 November services between Liverpool Central and Southport will be operating at a 30-minute frequency Monday to Sunday. Full information can be found here.

Due to the impact of COVID-19 and national restrictions in the region, there will be changes to our northern line services.

Services on the Ormskirk, Hunts Cross and Kirkby lines will run every 30 minutes throughout the week.

Services between Southport and Hunts Cross will terminate at Liverpool Central, meaning passengers will not be able to travel directly between the stations and will have to change at Liverpool Central.
Going forward, trains will operate directly between Ormskirk and Hunts Cross, so passengers will not need to change trains at Liverpool Central.
Trains on the Kirkby line will continue to terminate at Liverpool Central.
There will also be slight journey extension times on the Southport line.
Wirral line services remain unchanged.

Fawkes Cat

Established Member

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
A further update at https://www.merseyrail.org/seasonal/covid-19-october-timetable-changes.aspx:

Latest Update Friday 27 November

Following the Government’s announcement that the Liverpool City Region will be placed in Tier 2 restrictions from 2 December, Merseyrail will be increasing its services from Saturday 5 December.

From Saturday 5 December, services between Liverpool Central and Southport will be increased to a 15-minute frequency Monday to Saturday, with trains continuing to operate every 30 minutes on Sundays.

Services between Southport and Hunts Cross will terminate at Liverpool Central, meaning passengers will not be able to travel directly between the stations and will have to change at Liverpool. Ormskirk trains will start and terminate at Hunts Cross.

• Ormskirk and Kirkby lines – every 30 minutes Monday to Sunday
  • Hunts Cross line – every 30 minutes Monday to Sunday
  • Chester and Ellesmere Port lines – every 30 minutes Monday to Sunday (15-minute service between Hooton and Liverpool)
  • West Kirby and New Brighton lines – every 30 minutes Monday to Sunday (15-minute service between Birkenhead North and Liverpool)
Full timetable information is available below.

Passengers who would prefer to travel on six-car carriages can visit this webpage to check which services are operating as six-cars in advance.

Travel Advice​

From Wednesday 2 December, government-issued travel advice is that passengers can travel with confidence by following the advice below:

• Avoid peak travel if you can (between 07:00-09:30 and 16:00-18:30)
  • Allow extra time for your journey
  • Face coverings must be worn at all times at stations or on trains, unless exempt. Maximum fines of £6,400 can be issued by British Transport Police for those refusing to comply
  • Use contactless payments where possible
  • Wash or sanitise hands as soon as possible before and after travel
  • Remain seated where you can
  • Maintain social distancing where possible
  • Follow advice from staff and be considerate to other passengers
  • Do not use public transport if you, or a member of your household, has COVID-19 symptoms or you have been instructed to self-isolate.
  • Aim to reduce the number of journeys you make where possible.

Please note:
- timetables on the website but I haven't uploaded them here
- for the moment, services are Southport - Liverpool Central and Ormskirk - Hunts Cross (with the Kirkby - Liverpool Central shuttling as normal on the reduced timetable).

S&CLER

The OPSTA newsletter just received by email claims that the half-hourly Ormskirk service is on the "wrong" quarters of an hour for Preston connections.

Bikeman78

Established Member
The OPSTA newsletter just received by email claims that the half-hourly Ormskirk service is on the "wrong" quarters of an hour for Preston connections.
Realtime trains confirms this. They had it right with the half hourly service in the summer so I wonder why they've got it wrong now.

A further update at https://www.merseyrail.org/seasonal/covid-19-october-timetable-changes.aspx:

Please note:
- timetables on the website but I haven't uploaded them here
- for the moment, services are Southport - Liverpool Central and Ormskirk - Hunts Cross (with the Kirkby - Liverpool Central shuttling as normal on the reduced timetable).
I note that it says avoid peak times. Are Merseyrail trains actually busy from 0700 to 0930? I'd have thought that the busy time would be when the shoppers come out.

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
And more from the beginning of January for th3e Northern Line - Hunts Cross trains revert to Southport rather than Ormskirk and there are (consequential?) retimings. From https://www.merseyrail.org/seasonal/covid-19-january-timetable-changes.aspx:

There will be changes to some timetables for passengers travelling on the Southport, Hunts Cross and Ormskirk lines in the New Year.

In the last few weeks, trains between Hunts Cross and Southport have terminated at Liverpool Central, and trains from Ormskirk have run between Hunts Cross and Ormskirk.

From Saturday 2 January, Southport services will start and terminate at Hunts Cross, with Ormskirk trains starting and terminating at Liverpool Central.

Passengers wishing to travel between Ormskirk and Hunts Cross from 2 January will need to change at Liverpool Central.

As part of the changes, trains from Southport to Hunts Cross will be departing up to 2 minutes earlier than the current timetable, and a new timetable will be in place on the Ormskirk line.

Services between Southport and Hunts Cross will continue to run every 15 minutes Monday to Saturday with a 30-minute service on Sundays.

Services between Ormskirk and Liverpool Central will continue to operate every 30 minutes Monday to Sunday.

Sunday services on the Southport line will operate every 30 minutes.

The timetable across the rest of the Merseyrail network continues to operate as follows:

• Kirkby line – every 30 minutes Monday to Sunday
Full timetable information can be found below.

Planned Engineering Work​

Throughout January and February there will also be weekend engineering works taking place at various locations across the network resulting in rail replacement buses operating.

For full details on the upcoming engineering work click here.

6 Car Services​

Passengers who would prefer to travel on six-car trains can visit this webpage to check which services are operating as six-car-trains in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.