• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Merseyrail Expansion

AlastairFraser

Established Member
Are there not enough railway stations in the Warrington catchment area besides the two town stations? Thinking of Padgate and Birchwood on the east side and Warrington West and Sankey for Penketh on the west side.

A mention of Warrington Arpley would bring back memories of the Warrington to Broadheath line, which will have Lymm residents out in force, either for or against.
Both of the current central stations are not particularly suited to high-speed traffic.

In terms of the Warrington to Broadheath line, you'd deviate from the former alignment before you reached Lymm, heading for Rostherne, Ashley and Manchester Airport. It's just the best way for NPR to reach Manchester Airport without a long tunnel from Liverpool to the east side of Warrington.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Didn't Beeching want to close the whole Liverpool to Southport line?
Yes. Yet more evidence it had nothing to do with "rationalisation" and everything to do with destroying the railway to help force people into cars.
you would need less infrastructure to connect with Merseyrail, while you'd need 2 new interchange stations at Caldy Rd (between Orrell Park and Aintree at the northern end)
Why not just go under the Northern line use the existing platform? Like so:
1710180032600.png1710180087919.png
Hunts Cross at the southern end
Liverpool South Parkway is probably the better option if the Northern and "Suburban" lines were to share a terminus.
It's my opinion that you'd need through services into Liverpool city centre to make it attractive.
You're right, that's your opinion.
If you wanted a terminus for the Outer Circle there, you'd need to completely rebuild Hunts Cross too, which would be even more expensive.
Why?
Not to mention the 777s would need additional investment to fit the pans for the OHLE capability.
How much is that, really?
Should the ORR change its mind, we could install 3rd rail, but battery makes sense for now.
I've heard many absurd and nonsense things on this website, but this right here might take the cake.
they all depend on NPR removing InterCity services from at least the section from LSP into Lime St
Do they?
if you wanted to run into Bank Quay, you'd need 2 reversals including one on the West Coast Main Line
Where would you need to reverse on the WCML??

A problem with that line is that it is unsuitable for high speed running, due to numerous curved sections between Widnes and Warringon Arpley.
We're talking about cheap, not perfect. With the austere state of this bloody country, especially regarding investments outside of war and automobiles, we're going to have to take what we can get... unless someone wants to uproot our current economic system? :)
Well it would have done, but it's a footpath now!
Death to rails-to-trails. Give us our bloody alignments back!

AlastairFraser

Established Member
I accept what you say above about Warrington Central, but with regards to Warrington Bank Quay that is already on the WCML, have Network Rail ever made proposals to improve the existing railway station on the WCML?
I don't believe they could if they wanted without serious demolition.

Yes. Yet more evidence it had nothing to do with "rationalisation" and everything to do with destroying the railway to help force people into cars.

Why not just go under the Northern line use the existing platform? Like so:
View attachment 154002View attachment 154003

Liverpool South Parkway is probably the better option if the Northern and "Suburban" lines were to share a terminus.

You're right, that's your opinion.

Why?

How much is that, really?

I've heard many absurd and nonsense things on this website, but this right here might take the cake.

Do they?

Where would you need to reverse on the WCML??

We're talking about cheap, not perfect. With the austere state of this bloody country, especially regarding investments outside of war and automobiles, we're going to have to take what we can get... unless someone wants to uproot our current economic system? :)

Death to rails-to-trails. Give us our bloody alignments back!
1.) Of course you would, but this was within the context of another forum member proposing a tram (which would require a segregated alignment).

2.) LSP would mean new terminating platforms from the east and resignalling. Same with Hunts Cross, you can't have trains terminating on the main line and reversing, you'd have to build new bays.

3.) I don't think the retrofitting of pantographs and associated equipment to DC units after build has been done in the UK, so no financial info is available unfortunately.

4.) Why is installing 3rd rail so absurd on a system mostly utilising 3rd rail? It's a question of accelerating wider decarbonisation that will save more lives in the long term (although we'd better not have that discussion here, it's been done to death on RailUK Forums).

5.) Reversal on the WCML where the green circle is.
1st reversal at Arpley signalbox where the blue circle is.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-11 194256.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-11 194256.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 21
Last edited:
within the context of another forum member proposing a tram (which would require a segregated alignment).
Fair, my apologies.
Same with Hunts Cross, you can't have trains terminating on the main line and reversing
How is that different from trains terminating at Central and reversing? Why couldn't one service cross over and terminate at platform 1, and the other service do the same at platform 2 from the other direction? (genuine question)
Why is installing 3rd rail so absurd on a system mostly utilising 3rd rail?
3rd rail is gone. Sorry! At least the 777s can install pantographs (which is either a happy accident, or a good sign that Merseyrail might actually be capable of planning for the future...)
Long live OLE!
Reversal on the WCML where the green circle is.
1st reversal at Arpley signalbox where the blue circle is.
Did anybody actually ask for this? My idea (likewise with most people, I assume) was that any Merseyrail services going to Bank Quay would access low-level platforms, then change and leave the way it came.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
3rd rail is gone. Sorry! At least the 777s can install pantographs (which is either a happy accident, or a good sign that Merseyrail might actually be capable of planning for the future...)

It is future planning, nothing to do with any conversions. Presumably in particular for Wapping Tunnel routes if that ever happens, as those are already wired to 25kV. I can't think what else would other than maybe the CLC in future.

The only annoyance is that it's 25kV *or* batteries, the batteries go where the transformer would, there's no room for both.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
It is future planning, nothing to do with any conversions. Presumably in particular for Wapping Tunnel routes if that ever happens, as those are already wired to 25kV. I can't think what else would other than maybe the CLC in future.

The only annoyance is that it's 25kV *or* batteries, the batteries go where the transformer would, there's no room for both.
Perhaps my memory serves me false, but I think that the closure of the Park Lane goods station in November 1965 left no rail traffic using the Wapping tunnel. I think track lifting in the local rail area soon followed.

I am open to correction on that matter.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Perhaps my memory serves me false, but I think that the closure of the Park Lane goods station in November 1965 left no rail traffic using the Wapping tunnel. I think track lifting in the local rail area soon followed.

I can't recall to be honest, but there is (and has been since the 1970s) a loose proposal to reopen the Wapping tunnel and connect it to the south end of Liverpool Central, for which a short length of header tunnel exists. In that case the terminating Northern Line services (Ormskirk and Kirkby*) would continue onto the City Lines via that route, presumably requiring 25kV capability to do so. This would have the big advantage of easing track capacity issues at Central, though it wouldn't help the people capacity so you'd probably need to dig it out a bit more and replace the island with wide side platforms a la St Pancras Thameslink.

* Thinking on, this would probably mean the pattern becoming Headbolt-Hunts X, with the City Line services connecting to Southport and Ormskirk.

Last edited:

AlastairFraser

Established Member
Fair, my apologies.

How is that different from trains terminating at Central and reversing? Why couldn't one service cross over and terminate at platform 1, and the other service do the same at platform 2 from the other direction? (genuine question)

Long live OLE!

Did anybody actually ask for this? My idea (likewise with most people, I assume) was that any Merseyrail services going to Bank Quay would access low-level platforms, then change and leave the way it came.
1). Liv Central is dedicated to Merseyrail, while Hunts Cross has the complication of serving other NR services.
With the poor punctuality of the EMR service in particular, you face introducing significant delays into the new "Suburban" service and pushing passengers away (if you chose an unsegregated alignment).

2.) I'm not so sure it's permanently on its way out - I reckon we may see some form of conversion on existing 3rd rail network to an APS derivative for mainline railways (APS is a ground-level tram power supply system - read more here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alstom_APS?wprov=sfla1)
But we will have to wait and see.

3). The ground level platforms at Bank Quay are gone and will be very difficult to reinstate due to the proximity of the chemical works on the west and property development on the eastern side.
The chemical works are due to be redeveloped I believe, but the property development will come before any reinstatement of platforms there and again make it prohibitively expensive.

Central is also the best option as it is connected via a road under Midland Way from Warrington bus station, only a couple mins walk.
It has most of the long distance connections that Bank Quay has, apart from services to London/Scotland.
Connections to North Wales can be made from the TfW services at Liverpool South Parkway, and connections to the WM/London can be made off the WMT Liv-Birmingham with a change at Crewe for destinations beyond Birmingham.

The only advantage Bank Quay really has is services to Wigan/Preston/the Lakes/Scotland.
This is where we could do with an interim express bus with rail through ticketing Liverpool Airport - LSP - Huyton - Kirkby - Maghull North - Seaforth, to connect all the lines out of Liverpool with the Airport and the south side of Liverpool with northbound regional connections.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
2.) I'm not so sure it's permanently on its way out - I reckon we may see some form of conversion on existing 3rd rail network to an APS derivative for mainline railways (APS is a ground-level tram power supply system - read more here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alstom_APS?wprov=sfla1)
But we will have to wait and see.

I'd be surprised to see a proprietary system. There exist more widely available bottom contact third rail systems, that's rather more likely (e.g. the one on the DLR). That deals with the main risk i.e. staff touching it by accident while on/about the line. The only difficulty with converting is that you'd basically have to close the whole thing (or at least the whole Northern/Wirral Line) for a period of months while the conversion took place.

AlastairFraser

Established Member
I'd be surprised to see a proprietary system. There exist more widely available bottom contact third rail systems, that's rather more likely (e.g. the one on the DLR). That deals with the main risk i.e. staff touching it by accident while on/about the line. The only difficulty with converting is that you'd basically have to close the whole thing (or at least the whole Northern/Wirral Line) for a period of months while the conversion took place.
Bottom contact is a possibility, but something like APS would be a more securely safe system.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Bottom contact is a possibility, but something like APS would be a more securely safe system.

Vastly more expensive, more failure prone and completely unnecessary. You're less likely to accidentally touch a bottom contact third rail and come to serious harm than 25kV overhead, and unlike the tram system you don't need to design it taking into account the public wandering all over the infrastructure.

if you chose an unsegregated alignment
Who was asking for the "Suburban" line / "Outer loop" to stop on the CLC line platforms? I'm so confused.

If we're going to replace the current 3rd rail system with something else (either OLE or this bottom-contact system), why not replace it with the essentially universal technology that A) the current rolling stock already support, B) has vast institutional knowledge, C) has a wide range of rolling stock that already use the technology...? I could go on.

AlastairFraser

Established Member
Who was asking for the "Suburban" line / "Outer loop" to stop on the CLC line platforms? I'm so confused.

If we're going to replace the current 3rd rail system with something else (either OLE or this bottom-contact system), why not replace it with the essentially universal technology that A) the current rolling stock already support, B) has vast institutional knowledge, C) has a wide range of rolling stock that already use the technology...? I could go on.
Well, there are no east facing bays at Hunts Cross, so you'd have to stop them on the CLC line platforms.

As for not replacing it with OHLE - several reasons.
Restricted tunnel/bridge clearances is one that would be very expensive to rectify, you'd need to deal with potential signalling equipment replacement, and, as Bletchleyite has highlighted, you'd need to replace the batteries to enable the OHLE capability - meaning any extension that doesn't necessarily justify the high capital cost of OHLE extension, but can justify batteries is no longer viable

8A Rail

Established Member

Park Lane Goods Station closed in 1972 as far as I am aware. As for Wapping Tunnel, it is partially flooded around the half way point.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Park Lane Goods Station closed in 1972 as far as I am aware. As for Wapping Tunnel, it is partially flooded around the half way point.
You are most correct that 1972 was the date of closure. That "November 1965" date I quoted will have been the date of closure of another goods station that for some reason had stuck in my memory.

That is why I said "I am open to correction on this matter".

Well, there are no east facing bays at Hunts Cross, so you'd have to stop them on the CLC line platforms.
What's wrong with doing this? Is there something that would stop this at-platform reversal happening here, or (preferably) at South Parkway?
1710275781610.png
Restricted tunnel/bridge clearances is one that would be very expensive to rectify
Expensive but necessary if we don't want Merseyrail to continue being a patchwork of short-term decisions to maximise profit.
This situation will require investment (god forbid northerners get that!) but is necessary to modernise the system, ensure its longevity and provide more and greater avenues for expansion and improvement.
Yes, it has a monetary cost. The alternative has greater costs institutionally (and arguably monetarily too). That's how investments work!

AlastairFraser

Established Member
What's wrong with doing this? Is there something that would stop this at-platform reversal happening here, or (preferably) at South Parkway?
View attachment 154050

Expensive but necessary if we don't want Merseyrail to continue being a patchwork of short-term decisions to maximise profit.
This situation will require investment (god forbid northerners get that!) but is necessary to modernise the system, ensure its longevity and provide more and greater avenues for expansion and improvement.
Yes, it has a monetary cost. The alternative has greater costs institutionally (and arguably monetarily too). That's how investments work!
There's nothing much wrong with it, apart from the single platform for the Suburban line to reverse in lacking resilience.

My point is though that the station would require a significant rebuild. You'd need a new track and platform, footbridge extension, a new station entrance on the other side of Speke Rd, and perhaps to relocate the ticket office.

As for your point about electrification - yes, in an ideal word we'd invest in electrification of all the lines to the desired standard (and I do believe that Merseyrail is ripe for expansion whichever electrification system you use - EP to Helsby, Wrexham, Preston, Wigan + Skem, Southport via Burscough, Warrington Central should be completed as a minimum), but the use of OHLE isn't really a massive priority in the world of traction batteries with long enough range to cover significant mileage.

Prominent board members involved in planning the future of 3rd rail network have indicated batteries will directly replace 3rd rail in a lot of areas, once the technology is mature.

Mr. SW

As for Wapping Tunnel, it is partially flooded around the half way point.
According to my notes, Wapping Tunnel is partially backfilled between the Saint James Street and Cornwallis Street and then flooded to Nelson Street.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
According to my notes, Wapping Tunnel is partially backfilled between the Saint James Street and Cornwallis Street and then flooded to Nelson Street.

It's certainly a major project, but it is not wholly off the agenda.

What, bottom contact? :)

All you'd need to do is replace the rail and the shoegear. And it's well established, on the DLR and on several German U-Bahnen.

25kV wouldn't fit under a lot of bridges and on the Link. You might manage tram style DC overhead using overhead rails where it gets tight but then that's major mods to the stock.

Bevan Price

Established Member
There's nothing much wrong with it, apart from the single platform for the Suburban line to reverse in lacking resilience.

My point is though that the station would require a significant rebuild. You'd need a new track and platform, footbridge extension, a new station entrance on the other side of Speke Rd, and perhaps to relocate the ticket office.

As for your point about electrification - yes, in an ideal word we'd invest in electrification of all the lines to the desired standard (and I do believe that Merseyrail is ripe for expansion whichever electrification system you use - EP to Helsby, Wrexham, Preston, Wigan + Skem, Southport via Burscough, Warrington Central should be completed as a minimum), but the use of OHLE isn't really a massive priority in the world of traction batteries with long enough range to cover significant mileage.

Prominent board members involved in planning the future of 3rd rail network have indicated batteries will directly replace 3rd rail in a lot of areas, once the technology is mature.
Merseytravel is going to have to forget about expansion for several years. Necessary funding from central government is likely to fall rather than increase.

AlastairFraser

Established Member
Merseytravel is going to have to forget about expansion for several years. Necessary funding from central government is likely to fall rather than increase.
I disagree. Further devolution is going to mean local "metro mayors" have additional tax raising powers, and a rolling extension program with the profits from extensions covering operating costs could well be feasible.

If you think that bet will pay off, more power to you. We see overhead lines work reliably every day on our network, so I really don't understand the "battery supremacy" attitude. It's a stopgap, a massive limit to expansion, so much less reliable, and a major environmental hazard; which would you rather we replace on a regular basis, batteries or wires? If the only excuse against OLE is "it upsets the rich folk guarding the coffers" then I say it's the obvious choice.

25kV wouldn't fit under a lot of bridges and on the Link.
I never said it was cheap. Unlike stopgap solutions like batteries, though: you only have to do it once.
Liverpool is well behind on infrastructural investment. If anything, we deserve this to catch up after decades of managed decline to make Merseyrail potentially a modern, efficient, reliable system.
Let's not kid ourselves, here; if Liverpool were London, it wouldn't even be a discussion. Think about why that is.

AlastairFraser

Established Member
If you think that bet will pay off, more power to you. We see overhead lines work reliably every day on our network, so I really don't understand the "battery supremacy" attitude. It's a stopgap, a massive limit to expansion, so much less reliable, and a major environmental hazard; which would you rather we replace on a regular basis, batteries or wires? If the only excuse against OLE is "it upsets the rich folk guarding the coffers" then I say it's the obvious choice.
OHLE is the obvious choice for new railways, but in terms of 3rd rail replacement, we're looking at decades before we start on that, and battery improvements in that timespan will make batteries a much better choice than what is presented to us today. With massive infrastructure investment being a barrier to conversion to OHLE on many 3rd rail network, it really does mean alternatives have to be found.

Outside those wholly or predominantly 3rd rail networks, OHLE will be the norm and we should focus on that.

battery improvements in that timespan will make batteries a much better choice than what is presented to us today.
When it's your money, that's a fine gamble for you to make.
For an entire metro system, we should stick to long-term solutions that save money in the long term and we know work.
Let's not spend a tenner to save a penny with this battery rubbish. It's a stopgap that'll have us regularly replacing these toxic batteries and massively limit the scope for expansion...
...and for what, exactly?! To save money in the short term for some bureaucrats and pencil pushers who would probably grind up Scousers by the hundred if it were profitable? Pah!
We need to spend now to save our future.

AlastairFraser

Established Member
When it's your money, that's a fine gamble for you to make.
For an entire metro system, we should stick to long-term solutions that save money in the long term and we know work.
Let's not spend a tenner to save a penny with this battery rubbish. It's a stopgap that'll have us regularly replacing these toxic batteries and massively limit the scope for expansion...
...and for what, exactly?! To save money in the short term for some bureaucrats and pencil pushers who would probably grind up Scousers by the hundred if it were profitable? Pah!
We need to spend now to save our future.
Indeed we need to spend now, but Merseyrail extensions powered by battery will save more GHG emissions now, rather than OHLE will later.

Indeed we need to spend now, but Merseyrail extensions powered by battery will save more GHG emissions now, rather than OHLE will later.
More short-term thinking. Also... the trains already have batteries. Merseyrail don't own any DMUs. What are you talking about?? If we're playing the "think about the environment" card, see my comment #295 about battery disposal.
Yesterday was the best time to have started putting up OLE. Delaying it with nonsense stopgaps and refusal to invest is a path to failure.

AlastairFraser

Established Member
More short-term thinking. Also... the trains already have batteries. Merseyrail don't own any DMUs. What are you talking about?? If we're playing the "think about the environment" card, see my comment #295 about battery disposal.
Yesterday was the best time to have started putting up OLE. Delaying it with nonsense stopgaps and refusal to invest is a path to failure.
I was talking about extending Merseyrail using battery power that are not due for wires in the next decade e.g. Wrexham. Through services would take a lot of cars off the M53.
Same with extending the Kirkby/Headbolt Lane branch through to Wigan and improving Upholland as a interchange for Skem.
The environmental impact of those is going to help much more than focusing on investment in conversion to OHLE.