• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Merseyrail Guards

Status
Not open for further replies.

RMTGuard

Excellent opportunities have arisen to join the Operations Function as a Train Guard on a temporary basis until March 2020 with a strong possibility of becoming permanent.

The role of a Merseyrail Guard is very much multi-disciplined as they are required to provide high standards of customer service to our passengers thus enhancing customer experience, as well as ensuring that the train is operated as safely and as punctual as possible. Our Guards deliver excellent on board customer care including information and communication, revenue protection assistance and security ensuring that the train environment and presentation meets customers’ needs. We expect you to adopt a professional approach to your role and be fully committed to your role as a Train Guard.

• Are you strongly customer focused?
  • Are you a people person?
  • Can you deliver an excellent customer experience every day, even in conflict situations?
  • Do you have the resilience to deal with the safety of our customers, including trauma incidents, in a calm professional manner?
  • Can you work shifts, including early mornings, late nights and weekends?
If you feel you have these qualities and more and would like the opportunity of joining the Operations function as a Guard then we would love to hear from you.

Shortlisted applicants will be invited to an OPC assessment, and a selection day which will include a series of competency based exercises. We are looking for successful candidates to start at the beginning of January 2020 and therefore you may be required to attend assessments at short notice. Furthermore, the role of a Train Guard is a safety critical role and all successful applicants will be required to pass a safety critical medical.

The training rate for this post is £18,231 rising to £28,407 on successful completion of training.

Please be aware that the training will last approximately 8 weeks and you must be able to attend the FULL course.

Please be aware that these positions attract a high volume of interest and we may need to close this vacancy before the advertised date to provide the best service to candidates depending on the number of applications received.

For further information on this role please contact Julie Short, Senior Guards Manager via email [email protected]

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

C J Snarzell

Established Member
Thanks for posting this.

Merseyrail vacancies are few and far between so this is a really good opportunity for anyone wanting to become a guard or conductor.

C J

Supertrains19

Although a very short contract, 8 week training brings you close to the temp contract end date of March 20! If you start Jan 20, with only a glimmer of being taken on.

C J Snarzell

Established Member
Supertrains

It's still worth applying for. Generally a temporary or FTC role leads to a more permanent position. I applied for an office based role with Merseyrail earlier in the year but sadly lost out to another candidate. I was advised that there was a probation period with that padticular role which in many ways is similar to a temporary or FTC position.

Like I said Merseyrail are a small TOC and their vacancies are scarse so this is an excellent opportunity to work on the railways. Unfortunately, as I didn't get the Merseyrail job I previously applied for, the HR lady advised me that I cannot reapply for further roles for six months from the interview date which is not until January which I am a bit gutted about as I would definately apply for this myself.

CJ

L401CJF

Established Member
I had applied for this roll and just had an email saying I have been unsuccessful in my application for guard at West Midlands Trains!

Shortly followed by a email from Merseyrail recruitment saying they had had a technical hitch and my application has been rejected as a result.

They have provided a new link for me to reapply but considering everything I can't afford the pay cut and risk of no job after 2 months anyway as I've just been offered a mortgage so think I'll give it a miss. Good luck to those who have applied!

Rockhopper

A probationary period really is nothing like a fixed term contract. It’s almost universal in the job market these days and is actually not really required as till you've been there two years you have very few employment rights anyhow. It’s just a way of monitoring progress in the first few months. You have to do really badly to have any problems with it!

Stigy

Established Member
Although a very short contract, 8 week training brings you close to the temp contract end date of March 20! If you start Jan 20, with only a glimmer of being taken on.
This can’t be a temporary contract in that case. As has been indicated, it looks more like a probation period for the training? The company aren’t going to employ Guards on a FTC to do training and then bin them off (potentially), surely?

Supertrains19

I would say yes as the start of the advert states:

Excellent opportunities have arisen to join the Operations Function as a Train Guard on a temporary basis until March 2020 with a strong possibility of becoming permanent.

So no guarantee, who knows until you apply and see what your contract says.

danbarnstall

How is the industrial dispute going on Merseyrail? I would hazard a guess any full time contract offer would depend on this.

RMTGuard

Temporary contract is purely based on the fact that the RMT deal has to be signed off. Agreement has been reached and awaiting finalisation.... then all temp contracts will be made permanent and salary increases to 31k

Status
Not open for further replies.