• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Merseyrail Saveaway Ticket .. for the ferry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willie Bee

My wife and I shall be visiting Liverpool shortly so we are currently planning our itinerary.

We are keen to 'Cross the Mersey' just to say we've done it .. not fussed about the cruise, just over to Birkenhead and back will do us just fine.

I see there is a Saveaway ticket available from Merseyrail for £6 which covers rail, bus and the ferry.

The ticket is only valid after 9:30, so no morning ferry could be taken, but am I correct in assuming we could take any of the evening crossings from Liverpool (17:00 - 18:20) then take the return journey too. There is one later ferry, departing from Liverpool at 18:40 .. but we would have to take a bus back if this trip was taken .. Anyway, why worry, with an 'all day' pass.

A return trip on the ferry is £3.80, so for just £2.20 extra,. we could have unlimited bus travel within the city .. seems perfect to me

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Vinnym

An all zones Saveaway costs £6, it has to be loaded onto a Metro card which costs an additional £1 pp. They can be used after 0930 on trains buses and ferry. You can use it on river cruises but need to break your journey, suggest you break your journey at Woodside and get train back from Hamilton Square which is nearby to Woodside. River cruises depart every hour on the hour from Liverpool at 1000. You can use this Saveaway as far as Chester or Ormskirk, ( train only ). Hope this is of help to you. Not sure Saveaway are sold at ferry terminal but you can always buy one at James Street station which is close by to ferry terminal. Hope this is helpful for you. You will need to produce your Saveaway at ferry terminal to get a boarding pass for ferry.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
I used a Saveaway a while back to do the ferry. I had to show my ticket at the ferry ticket office (Birkenhead) and they gave me a ticket for the ferry.

Willie Bee

An all zones Saveaway costs £6, it has to be loaded onto a Metro card which costs an additional £1 pp. They can be used after 0930 on trains buses and ferry. You can use it on river cruises but need to break your journey, suggest you break your journey at Woodside and get train back from Hamilton Square which is nearby to Woodside. River cruises depart every hour on the hour from Liverpool at 1000. You can use this Saveaway as far as Chester or Ormskirk, ( train only ). Hope this is of help to you. Not sure Saveaway are sold at ferry terminal but you can always buy one at James Street station which is close by to ferry terminal. Hope this is helpful for you. You will need to produce your Saveaway at ferry terminal to get a boarding pass for ferry.
Thank you for your reply.

I wasn't sure where Woodside was, so I had to search on the internet. It seems the ferry to this spot is currently not operating, only the Liverpool - Seacombe route. Also, the Saveaway website says only valid on 'direct river crossings only' which I understand to mean the commuter trips morning & night .. just that the morning departures start before the ticket is valid .. or maybe not .. ticket starts at 09:29 and the first last ferry leaves Liverpool at 09:30.

Never really thought about MerseyRail .. so £6 seems a real bargain

As you are based in Liverpool .. is there any real 'must see' sight which would involve the train .. we're staying at Premier Inn One

TheSel

The reference to " ... direct river crossings ... " simply means that you cannot do a round trip on the ferry - you must alight at "the other" side of the river from which you board. Off peak, the service runs Liverpool (xx00) - Seacombe (xx20) - Liverpool (passing the presently-closed Woodside terminus). Therefore, there is no problem in your boarding the 1000 ex Liverpool, and alighting at Seacombe (1020). You can then, for example, take a stroll along the promenade, or otherwise occupy your time until returning on a later ferry at 1120, 1220 etc.

As others have said, you will need to present your (valid) SaveAway ticket at the office at either Liverpool Pier Head or Seacombe Ferry, and you will be given a paper ticket for your ferry crossing, similar to the one pictured below, which you show on boarding.

Note that if you want to go both ways, you will need to get a [second] single to cover your 'return' journey, and you won't have time to do this at Seacombe to get the same working back again (although you probably would at Liverpool, where the boat tends to arrive around xx50 for its next xx00 departure). Allow yourselves five minutes - there's rarely much of a queue at either Liverpool or Seacombe.

1688224928579.png

As for 'must see' sights, it depends what you're into. As posted above, a visit to Chester can be rewarding, but allow 15-20 minutes to walk from the Rail Station into the city proper (or use the connecting bus, on which your SaveAway is NOT valid). Liverpool's two cathedrals are architecturally interesting (if very different from one another!). Merseyrail (or bus) to West Kirby, gives access to a walk across the sands to Hilbre Island (but check the tide times - the island is cut off for about four hours twice a day at high tide). Maybe take a bus though one or other of the Mersey Tunnels? The 431/432 New Brighton - Liverpool buses operate via the "new" (1971) tunnel every 10 minutes, and there are very frequent services Liverpool - Wirral destination via the "old" (1934) tunnel.

Oh - and don't forget, the 'after 9:30' time restriction does not apply on Saturdays, Sundays or Bank Holidays.

Hope you enjoy the city. There really is plenty to do.

Willie Bee

The reference to " ... direct river crossings ... " simply means that you cannot do a round trip on the ferry - you must alight at "the other" side of the river from which you board. Off peak, the service runs Liverpool (xx00) - Seacombe (xx20) - Liverpool (passing the presently-closed Woodside terminus). Therefore, there is no problem in your boarding the 1000 ex Liverpool, and alighting at Seacombe (1020). You can then, for example, take a stroll along the promenade, or otherwise occupy your time until returning on a later ferry at 1120, 1220 etc.

Oh - and don't forget, the 'after 9:30' time restriction does not apply on Saturdays, Sundays or Bank Holidays.

Brilliant .. many many thanks for all the information

Yes, my wife and I are looking forward to our trip .. I have not been to Liverpool, since I was a kid (65 now) and my wife has never been there at all .. I'll let her off, as she is originally from South Africa.

Kite159

Veteran Member
An all zones Saveaway costs £6, it has to be loaded onto a Metro card which costs an additional £1 pp. .

Or to avoid the £1 fee, buy it from the Northern ticket office at Lime Street (or TfW office at Chester) who will quite happily sell it on paper

Does this mean that Saveaways aren't avaliable from Merseyrail TVM's anymore?

Established Member
Very straightforward, take the Saveaway to the ferry ticket counter and they issue a boarding pass. The direct journey nonsense just means no return trips.
So Liverpool - Seacombe or Woodside is fine, and the reverse, Seacombe or Woodside to Liverpool is okay.
Liverpool back to Liverpool is not, you're supposed to pay for the (overpriced) cruise nonsense if you want that.
The way around it is to run to the ticket office on the wirral side and hope you get back down in time with a second boarding pass, but why do that when there's so much to see.
Best way, go to Liverpool - Seacombe - Birkenhead only, then walk 100 metres and get Merseyrail back from Hamilton Square (every 3 mins).

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Very straightforward, take the Saveaway to the ferry ticket counter and they issue a boarding pass. The direct journey nonsense just means no return trips.
So Liverpool - Seacombe or Woodside is fine, and the reverse, Seacombe or Woodside to Liverpool is okay.
Liverpool back to Liverpool is not, you're supposed to pay for the (overpriced) cruise nonsense if you want that.
The way around it is to run to the ticket office on the wirral side and hope you get back down in time with a second boarding pass, but why do that when there's so much to see.
Best way, go to Liverpool - Seacombe - Birkenhead only, then walk 100 metres and get Merseyrail back from Hamilton Square (every 3 mins).
I say take the bus one way, (or do returns on the ferry and returns through both tunnels by bus!) remembering to look out for the T-junction part way through the tunnel. It used to be controlled by traffic lights. For some reason the idea of a T-junction in a tunnel doesn't seem right.

Willie Bee

Thanks for the information.

At first, I wasn't sure what you meant, as the Woodside Quay is not operational at present, but I assume you were saying .. ferry to Seacome, bus to Hamilton Square, then take the train back to Liverpool

Yes, I think a one-way ferry crossing will suit us, but I feel heading towards Liverpool on the ferry would be the better option. Now to work out which bus to take

Or to avoid the £1 fee, buy it from the Northern ticket office at Lime Street (or TfW office at Chester) who will quite happily sell it on paper
many thanks !

Have they ever been?

Not sure that would concern me, though, as they only have about 5 of them anyway, you're much more likely to find a booking office!
Your'e possibly right in that. No doubt at the stations beyond Hooton towards Chester/Ellesmere Port. I have had cause to use one at Little Sutton a few years ago and I' m pretty sure Saveaways were on offer on the 'popular destinations' screen

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Your'e possibly right in that. No doubt at the stations beyond Hooton towards Chester/Ellesmere Port. I have had cause to use one at Little Sutton a few years ago and I' m pretty sure Saveaways were on offer on the 'popular destinations' screen

Ah yes, probably a few more than 5 then.

Definitely at least one at each station south of Hooton, definitely one at Liverpool Central, and I think one at each of the other city centre stations.

Fewer than 10 then :)

urbophile

Established Member

As others have said, you will need to present your (valid) SaveAway ticket at the office at either Liverpool Pier Head or Seacombe Ferry, and you will be given a paper ticket for your ferry crossing, similar to the one pictured below, which you show on boarding.

Note that if you want to go both ways, you will need to get a [second] single to cover your 'return' journey, and you won't have time to do this at Seacombe to get the same working back again (although you probably would at Liverpool, where the boat tends to arrive around xx50 for its next xx00 departure). Allow yourselves five minutes - there's rarely much of a queue at either Liverpool or Seacombe.

View attachment 138390

As for 'must see' sights, it depends what you're into. As posted above, a visit to Chester can be rewarding, but allow 15-20 minutes to walk from the Rail Station into the city proper (or use the connecting bus, on which your SaveAway is NOT valid). Liverpool's two cathedrals are architecturally interesting (if very different from one another!). Merseyrail (or bus) to West Kirby, gives access to a walk across the sands to Hilbre Island (but check the tide times - the island is cut off for about four hours twice a day at high tide). Maybe take a bus though one or other of the Mersey Tunnels? The 431/432 New Brighton - Liverpool buses operate via the "new" (1971) tunnel every 10 minutes, and there are very frequent services Liverpool - Wirral destination via the "old" (1934) tunnel.

To add to the above:
Merseyrail (Northern Line) to Hall Road/ Blundellsands and Crosby/ Waterloo ... from any of these stations shortish walk to the beach and see the Antony Gormley installation Another Place. Back to the same station if you want or walk along the beach to the next one.
Or, the same line to Freshfield and the National Trust nature reserve with the chance of seeing a rare red squirrel.
No need to use public transport for most city centre sites as most are within easy walking distance of each other. But Sefton Park (with its restored Victorian Palm House) is well worth a visit. Plenty of restaurants etc along Lark Lane which leads to St Michaels station or the 82 bus. 75, 80, 26/27 buses to the other side of the park.
Sudley House gallery (free entry) in Mossley Hill is worth seeing for its atmosphere of a 19th century merchant's mansion, with many gems of art including Turner and some pre-Raphaelites. Midway between Mossley Hill (City Line, Saveaway valid) and Aigburth (Merseyrail Northern line) stations.
On the other side of the river, Port Sunlight - enlightened town planning for the workers of Lever Brothers soap factory; well worth a wander. Lady Lever Gallery is another National museum - again many pre-Raphaelites, occasional special exhibitions (usually free), and an 'ace caff'. Wirral Line to Bebington or Port Sunlight. Go to one and back from the other; they are at opposite ends of the village.
If you're into football you will know of the two rival teams and their stadia (currently, though not much longer, very near one another. )
A lot of Beatles hoo-ha, but a lot of very worthwhile Beatles things too. The original Strawberry Field was a children's home run by the Salvation Army, behind John Lennon's house - Lennon used to play (as in childhood play, not musically) in the grounds as a kid. Now the house has been demolished and replaced by a visitor centre with a fascinating exhibition. There is a café and the grounds are free to roam.
The childhood homes of John Lennon and Paul McCartney can be visited by minibus (National Trust) from either Speke Hall (also well worth a visit) or the city centre - Google for details.
Also National Trust (and fairly restricted opening) is the Hardmans' House in Rodney Street, near the Anglican cathedral. Two renowned photographers and their studio, along with their living accommodation. Many photos on view.

You're going to need at least a week, and more than one Saveaway!

danm14

Out of sheer curiosity, what (if any) are the theoretical possible repercussions of the holder of a Saveaway or Trio ticket remaining on board for the full River Explorer cruise?

Is there legislation (in a similar vein to the Regulation of Railways Act 1889 or Railway Byelaws) criminalising fare evasion on Mersey Ferries?

If not, is there any power to compel the person to give their name and address to facilitate a civil case for the evaded fare?

8A Rail

Established Member
Some members have suggested places to visit, and of the places mentioned are the two Cathedrals, the Anglican and the Catholic, the latter affectionally known as 'Paddy's Wigwam' - either end of Hope St, they are highly recommended, different as chalk and cheese but very interesting and fascinating to say the least. Also the Museum of Liverpool which is at the Pier Head, cant really miss it at opposite the Port of Liverpool Building (one of the three Graces), also the World Museum and the Walker Art Gallery, both in William Brown Street (near to Lime St Station) with St Georges Hall a few yards away! Add to that, Liverpool Town Hall (Dale St) and Western Approaches HQ (Battle of Atlantic) which is more or less behind the Town Hall. Oh yes, the Maritime Museum at the Albert Dock which the latter is a nice pleasant walk around this historic dock. To be honest, there is so much to see and do around the City Centre area, that alone will take more than a week, let alone other worthy attractions beyond the City Centre boundary. One thing you will notice, compared with other cities in the UK, most of our interesting and historic buildings have plenty of space around then, so you are able to stand back and look at them in all their glory.

AntoniC

Thank you for your reply.

I wasn't sure where Woodside was, so I had to search on the internet. It seems the ferry to this spot is currently not operating, only the Liverpool - Seacombe route. Also, the Saveaway website says only valid on 'direct river crossings only' which I understand to mean the commuter trips morning & night .. just that the morning departures start before the ticket is valid .. or maybe not .. ticket starts at 09:29 and the first last ferry leaves Liverpool at 09:30.

Never really thought about MerseyRail .. so £6 seems a real bargain

As you are based in Liverpool .. is there any real 'must see' sight which would involve the train .. we're staying at Premier Inn One
If its a nice day you could consider a day trip to Southport by train - its 43 minutes each way by train.
Or you could get the train to Chester and visit there - its a lovely historic place.
I hope you both enjoy your trip !

8A Rail

Established Member
If its a nice day you could consider a day trip to Southport by train - its 43 minutes each way by train.
Or you could get the train to Chester and visit there - its a lovely historic place.
I hope you both enjoy your trip !
Do it now before the Class 507 and 508's disappear while on those routes, as you will not want to do it when Class 777's are running it, the thought of 45 mins sitting on one of those Class 777 seats, let alone going to Chester! :lol:

No point going to Chester and Southport anyway, far too much to do and see in Liverpool! :lol:

Vinnym

Travelled on the 1200 ferry last Tuesday to Seacombe. When we got off the ferry we caught the 409 bus back to Hamilton Square from just outside Seacombe terminal, took about 10 mins, I believe you can also use the 411 to make the same journey.

Willie Bee

OP here ... thank you for the recent replies.

Having been on a few '3-night trips' to London, Edinburgh, Glasgow and London again next month .. I thought 2 nights in Liverpool would be OK, coupled with 2 nights in Manchester, but I see now, there are lots of places to visit in Liverpool.

At least it will give us a chance to visit again in 2024

urbophile

Established Member
OP here ... thank you for the recent replies.

Having been on a few '3-night trips' to London, Edinburgh, Glasgow and London again next month .. I thought 2 nights in Liverpool would be OK, coupled with 2 nights in Manchester, but I see now, there are lots of places to visit in Liverpool.

At least it will give us a chance to visit again in 2024
Hope you get enough breaks between the showers! I think you'll find Liverpool an interesting comparison/contrast to Glasgow.

Buzby

I have to say I love Liverpool and find many similarities to Glasgow both in architecture and the amount of places to visit. When did they start charging for the ferries? I last did the trip over the above-Mersey trip 20 years ago and I think it was free. Subsequently it’s been via the tunnels via road or train to the Wirral.

*8A*

I have to say I love Liverpool and find many similarities to Glasgow both in architecture and the amount of places to visit. When did they start charging for the ferries? I last did the trip over the above-Mersey trip 20 years ago and I think it was free. Subsequently it’s been via the tunnels via road or train to the Wirral.
To my knowledge the ferries have never been free however the payment turnstiles were on the other side of the river to Liverpool, hence there
was no control boarding/leaving the ferries on the Liverpool side. There used to be a guy who would go around the ferry after people has got off
on the Wirral side to collect fares from people who just wanted the ride over and back - though us kids knew how to avoid that :)

Urban-Savage

Not that I would advocate this approach but I can’t actually ever recall anyone re checking a ticket obtained either via travel permit or savaway - I often use it as a single trip with a all area save away from the pier head to seacombe and a lovely walk along the prom to new Brighton and the train home. A bargain for £6 n a nice morning out too n plenty of places to grab some lunch or a coffee

Parjon

Thanks for the information.

At first, I wasn't sure what you meant, as the Woodside Quay is not operational at present, but I assume you were saying .. ferry to Seacome, bus to Hamilton Square, then take the train back to Liverpool

Yes, I think a one-way ferry crossing will suit us, but I feel heading towards Liverpool on the ferry would be the better option. Now to work out which bus to take
If it was a nice day and you fancied a walk, you could take the train out to New Brighton. There is a nice wide promenade with a great view of the city which leads all the way to Seacombe terminal for the ferry back. It's about an hour's walk.

Djgr

Established Member
The other way of looking at it is £1 for a nice souvenir!

Lloyds siding

If you are coming at the beginning of August then a rare chance is available: the beautiful Minton tiled floor of St George's Hall is currently visible (it's normally covered over and unseen).
St George's Hall is the huge Greek temple like building that sits opposite Liverpool Lime Street station. The rest of the building is architecturally awesome, but the floor is something special. It has a magnificent concert organ and is accepted as being the first building to be built with air conditioning.

Link to Liverpool Echo article about the rarely revealed Minton tiled floor

Status
Not open for further replies.