• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Merseytravel Saveaway question

Status
Not open for further replies.

carom

Hi,

I have a quick question (perhaps a stupid one) about using the Merseytravel Saveaway...

If I'm travelling from station A (not in Merseyside) to station C (in Merseyside) via station B (also in Merseyside), can I buy a ticket from A to B and use that along with a Saveaway to get to C? I mean, I wouldn't have to physically get off the train at B for the Saveaway to be valid, right?

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cactustwirly

Established Member
Hi,

I have a quick question (perhaps a stupid one) about using the Merseytravel Saveaway...

If I'm travelling from station A (not in Merseyside) to station C (in Merseyside) via station B (also in Merseyside), can I buy a ticket from A to B and use that along with a Saveaway to get to C? I mean, I wouldn't have to physically get off the train at B for the Saveaway to be valid, right?

Thanks

That's correct, the conditions of Travel allow you to split tickets without the train stopping, if you're using a Rover/Ranger or other zonal tickets.

Established Member
Previously, before October 2016, the train had to be a slow one which stopped, at say Newton le Willows, Hough Green or L South Parkway, but now with the change to the conditions of carriage (the NCOTs) you may now use a fast train which doesn't stop at that station. So now, it's fine to use TPE & Virgin so long as both the tickets, ie Saveway plus your day return, are valid for all the route you're on.

Wanderwaal

So now, it's fine to use TPE & Virgin so long as both the tickets, ie Saveway plus your day return, are valid for all the route you're on.

Just a theoretical question, as I cant quite understand how Virgin fits into the picture -- only Virgin route inside Saveaway zone would be Lime Street to Runcorn (which is outside Saveaway Zone) with no actual stops inside the zone -- does that mean that Station A to Runcorn plus All Zone Saveaway would cover journey to Lime Street?

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
It means that a Saveaway plus a Liverpool South Parkway to Runcorn ticket would be valid on their services which go via, but do not call at, South Parkway.

Wanderwaal

It means that a Saveaway plus a Liverpool South Parkway to Runcorn ticket would be valid on their services which go via, but do not call at, South Parkway.

Sounds quite good. As usual off-peak day return from Runcorn to Lime street is around £6.40 and Runcorn to South Parkway is £4.50. So for additional 3-something pounds on top of usual return ticket, you can get your return and unlimited zonal travel on Merseyrail network and buses.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
That's absolutely the right idea.

Another example is Wigan to Liverpool. A return would cost £8.30 - yet a return from Wigan to Garswood plus a Saveaway comes to £8.10 - and is valid on the semi-fasts which pass through but don't stop at Garswood.

It's always worth checking!

carom

Hi,

Thanks
Thanks a lot for the replies. I thought that would probably be the case but wanted to make sure. Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.