• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

metrolink or tram driver questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

crvhonda

I'm think to leave bus for a metrolink driver, but I want to understand more the job before I put effort to commit. Fully aware the job can be different in different company. But still try to project myself in to it.
Otherthan operate the tram, what other tasks required? For example, recently I noticed many metrolink service not running due to some technical failure or maintenance, what driver do when there's not enough dutie?
How much time driver deal with public directly?
Do u need to make announcement regularly or just unexpected situation?
Anyone input will be welcome, thx in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AverageJoe

Firstly metrolink drivers get paid more than bus drivers.
I think it’s around 36k after 4 years.

The signals and points fail often when can leave you stranded on the tram for a short time or having to turn back at some points to catch up time.
It will be then up to you to make an announcement and inform the passengers who will likely be a bit unhappy.

There is a more safety critical element of the job than buses so rather than walk in an office, receive a running card and bus number then go, you will go in to the depot, check notice boards for any track work or speed restrictions, get duty card off the crew supe then find the tram number and stabling (parking location) and collect a mobile phone, go to the tram, do a walk around check, do cab checks then bell control who will give you permission to leave and tell you which “road” you are leaving on.
(That’s if you are taking it off depot, It it’s already out in service you will meet it at the assigned platform after you have got duty card and checked notices.

The day to day can be tough because people will walk in front of you in the town centre, cut you up on the road sections and then certain parts in particular are known for anti social behaviour on the platforms and trams themselves.

I’m on the trains now and it’s worlds apart as regards and anti social stuff.

All that being said if I lost my job I would probably go back to the trams so I say give it a shot.

It’s easy to get back in to buses, they advertise each week so if you decide you don’t like the trams then you can go back.

The managers are good at metrolink too, they really supported me moving on even though I couldn’t give them the required notice.

You will however be in about 23k ish for the first year which I think then goes up to 26k in year two, so that may mean a drop in wages for you for a time.

crvhonda

Firstly metrolink drivers get paid more than bus drivers.
I think it’s around 36k after 4 years.

The signals and points fail often when can leave you stranded on the tram for a short time or having to turn back at some points to catch up time.
It will be then up to you to make an announcement and inform the passengers who will likely be a bit unhappy.

There is a more safety critical element of the job than buses so rather than walk in an office, receive a running card and bus number then go, you will go in to the depot, check notice boards for any track work or speed restrictions, get duty card off the crew supe then find the tram number and stabling (parking location) and collect a mobile phone, go to the tram, do a walk around check, do cab checks then bell control who will give you permission to leave and tell you which “road” you are leaving on.
(That’s if you are taking it off depot, It it’s already out in service you will meet it at the assigned platform after you have got duty card and checked notices.

The day to day can be tough because people will walk in front of you in the town centre, cut you up on the road sections and then certain parts in particular are known for anti social behaviour on the platforms and trams themselves.

I’m on the trains now and it’s worlds apart as regards and anti social stuff.

All that being said if I lost my job I would probably go back to the trams so I say give it a shot.

It’s easy to get back in to buses, they advertise each week so if you decide you don’t like the trams then you can go back.

The managers are good at metrolink too, they really supported me moving on even though I couldn’t give them the required notice.

You will however be in about 23k ish for the first year which I think then goes up to 26k in year two, so that may mean a drop in wages for you for a time
Valuable feedback!
Now I'm 27k and job easy , just fed up with pax behaviour. I knew will be same on tram, but at least not that close to u. The point of pedestrian or car driver, I think not much different, idiot purposely slow walk or on mobile phone not aware bus behind or car sharp cut happened daily.
Thx for Ur reply even Im still v. early stage.

Last edited:

TacoTraveller

After your training which is very short compared to how they used to do it. You're basically just a driver, we do get signal, points, overhead line faults but if you're on the tram there's not a lot you can do you just sit on the tram and occasionally make announcements updating passengers.

The control room is mainly the overview of the whole system so everything that goes wrong goes through them. In disruptions they'll tell you when you need to stop, when you can go again or anything inbetween.

We do take trams off the depot but that's only on the really early shifts. You're just assigned a road (where it's stabled) and the tram number.

During the day you just meet it at wherever your duty card tells you too and if you're on lates you'll probably be bringing it in.

Tbh, the jobs super easy, not really any stress unless you're a nervous driver or can't handle anti social behaviour which does happen and some parts are well known for it but doesn't really affect you as a driver unless you're confrontational which you shouldn't be really. It'll probably just delay you a little bit.

I'd say it's a step up from the buses but the pay scale isn't the greatest for newer drivers atm so make sure it's right for you because you're not on top pay which currently is 37k until year 4.

Some people love it, some people hate it. You won't know which until you're in the role.

If it's something you want to do then I'd say give it a shot.

crvhonda

After your training which is very short compared to how they used to do it. You're basically just a driver, we do get signal, points, overhead line faults but if you're on the tram there's not a lot you can do you just sit on the tram and occasionally make announcements updating passengers.

The control room is mainly the overview of the whole system so everything that goes wrong goes through them. In disruptions they'll tell you when you need to stop, when you can go again or anything inbetween.

We do take trams off the depot but that's only on the really early shifts. You're just assigned a road (where it's stabled) and the tram number.

During the day you just meet it at wherever your duty card tells you too and if you're on lates you'll probably be bringing it in.

Tbh, the jobs super easy, not really any stress unless you're a nervous driver or can't handle anti social behaviour which does happen and some parts are well known for it but doesn't really affect you as a driver unless you're confrontational which you shouldn't be really. It'll probably just delay you a little bit.

I'd say it's a step up from the buses but the pay scale isn't the greatest for newer drivers atm so make sure it's right for you because you're not on top pay which currently is 37k until year 4.

Some people love it, some people hate it. You won't know which until you're in the role.

If it's something you want to do then I'd say give it a shot
Yes I hv to give up current higher pay first 2 yrs for longer term. It's just an easy math.
My main goal now is to avoid face to face with pax on daily basis. ( I guess interviewer don't want this answer)

Last edited:

TacoTraveller

Yes I hv to give up current higher pay first 2 yrs for longer term. It's just an easy math.
My main goal now is to avoid face to face with pax on daily basis. ( I guess interviewer don't want this answer)
90% of the time you're just in a cab on your own (they can see you unless it's night time)

You'll only interact with them changing ends or whether there's anti-social behaviour or anything else disruption related

James185

Yeah, the interviewer will not want this answer. You will certainly see less of your customers as a tram driver compared to bus driving, but customer service will be seen as important, especially so as you are the only member of staff onboard.

When I had an interview to become a tram driver (granted, on a different light rail network) they were interested in safety critical, problem solving and customer service experience.

Hope this helps.

crvhonda

Yeah, the interviewer will not want this answer. You will certainly see less of your customers as a tram driver compared to bus driving, but customer service will be seen as important, especially so as you are the only member of staff onboard.

When I had an interview to become a tram driver (granted, on a different light rail network) they were interested in safety critical, problem solving and customer service experience.

Hope this helps.
That answer exclusively only for this forum.

TacoTraveller

That answer exclusively only for this forum.
Things to remember are they look heavily on customer service, safety critical working, the ability to work alone and problem solving (not that you really ever have to solve any problems)

Dean1983

Hi guys

I am wondering if ya can help. I have applied to Metrolink for a position as driver, and passed the online psychometric test.

I now have been invited to the first stage assessment which is another psychometric test at the main depot.

The question is,, what is entailed in the second sage assessment after the phycometric assessment at head office. I am a little nervous.

Cheers guys

AverageJoe

Hi guys

I am wondering if ya can help. I have applied to Metrolink for a position as driver, and passed the online psychometric test.

I now have been invited to the first stage assessment which is another psychometric test at the main depot.

The question is,, what is entailed in the second sage assessment after the phycometric assessment at head office. I am a little nervous.

Cheers guys
They should have sent you an email giving you some practice material and information.

Cal_NG4

I applied for a job as a Tram Driver on the 1st September with a Tram operator and I was told by the 3rd September that I was invited at a later date for an assessment. I have been told that it will be in 2-3 weeks time. I have been a Bus driver in the past and know that I have transferable skills. I applied before as a Tram Driver but was then still working as a bus driver so had other reasons that I couldn't take the tram job at that time. I remember doing a Scaat test and also watching a video regarding looking for hazards and writing them down. No tram sim though as assessment was done in a hotel. Hopefully I will pass again this time as my circumstances have now changed and I also know a current tram driver with the same operator.

BPX

Hi guys

Cheers guys

Not sure if you've already had it, but it's basically an assessment day to test your physical capabilties to perform basic tasks which you'll be doing almost every part of your duty. Climbing from the ground up onboard the tram. Tram simulator test, PA announcement included too, writing exercise and finally a competency based interview. Pretty standard stuff. Oh, and lunch is included on the day too!

Status
Not open for further replies.