• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Metrolink query

Status
Not open for further replies.

EagleWise

Hi there,

i have purchased a ticket going from Bolton to Altricham and on my ticket it states Route: Metrolink GM.

What does this exactly mean?

Thanks in advance,

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Anon Mouse

Established Member
It means you can use the Metrolink from Piccadilly (or Victoria) to get to Altricham as part of your journey

gnolife

Established Member
I think it means that its valid on Metrolink in City zone only (IE Victoria to Deansgate/Castlefield or Piccadilly, as appropriate).
I am basing this on journeys like Heald Green to Walkden, or Hazel Grove to Rochdale, where this is the case
I think your supposed to take the Northern Manchester Piccadilly - Chester via Altrincham service.

Established Member
As far as I know, technically it means if the Bolton train comes into Victoria, you can use the tram to Piccadilly then the Chester train via Stockport to Altrincham.

In reality, although it is not valid on trams outside the City Zone, it will usually be accepted by almost all inspectors on Metrolink through from Deansgate-Castlefiled via Sale to Altrincham.

The correct ticket to purchase is a single or return from BOLTON to METROLINK ZONE G.

Correct me if I'm (usually) wrong ;)

Anon Mouse

Established Member
I think I may need to read my ticket examiners handbook in that case Mr 185! ;)

Established Member
To be fair, it's a serious grey area. About 90-95% of the cash from it goes to Now'then Rail - Metrolink get a pittance from it, however there's a lot of discretion as you know.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
'Rte Metrolink (GM)' does indeed mean tram in the City Centre only, not the line from Deansgate to Altrincham.

I'm not going to suggest trying the tram beyond the City Centre, partly because that would be wrong, but also because if a Metrolink RPI did give a monkeys, I think the 'Penalty fare' (or is it 'standard fare' these days) is £100.

Established Member
Yep Standard Fare is £100, or £50 if paid within the first 2 weeks. But it's unlikely that one would be issued for that. There's plenty more deserving folk out there. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.