• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Metrolink tram extensions

javelin

The Metrolink's need right now isn't more extensions. We just need more trams. I don't think M5000s are in production anymore, but the fleet is getting old anyway (the T68s were around this old when they got replaced) so it might be time to replace these trams, maybe with the tram-train vehicles that support future extensions.

The T68s were replaced because they were chronically unreliable, they were only about halfway through their expected lifetime. The original plan was to keep them and run alongside the M5000, but failures were getting so bad it was decided to can them.

The M5000, while hardly ideal, is nowhere near that bad and will probably be here to stay for another decade or two.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Not wishing to put a damper on any tram aspirations, but now is the time to ensure all faults etc that need urgent remedying on the current tram network are fully remedied, before any new works are envisaged.
In the immortal words of Michelle in 'Allo 'Allo....

"Listen very carefully, I shall say this only once"

The T68s were only replaced when they were because they were chronically unreliable, they were only about halfway through their expected life. The original plan was to keep them and run them alongside the M5000, but failures were getting so bad it was decided to can th
Just imagine what problems there could have been if Vivarail had been given that order... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
The M5000, while hardly ideal, is nowhere near that bad and will probably be here to stay for another decade or two.
If so, we'll definitely need more of them to relieve overcrowding on the busier lines and to allow for more extensions. Apparently, we are already at the maximum able to be put into service [reference] because more trams are needed to go to Etihad Campus, but that means less trams on the busier Altrincham, Bury, and East Didsbury lines, and also makes future network extensions less likely.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
If so, we'll definitely need more of them to relieve overcrowding on the busier lines and to allow for more extensions. Apparently, we are already at the maximum able to be put into service [reference] because more trams are needed to go to Etihad Campus, but that means less trams on the busier Altrincham, Bury, and East Didsbury lines, and also makes future network extensions less likely.
Looking at the numerical size of the current fleet, plus making allowances for what extra units will be needed for these aspirational network extensions, I do wonder what will the incurred costs will be of a total fleet replacement.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Looking at the numerical size of the current fleet, plus making allowances for what extra units will be needed for these aspirational network extensions, I do wonder what will the incurred costs will be of a total fleet replacement.
Probably quite high and unlikely to happen. The youngest M5000s are only around five years old, and as posted either upthread here or on the other Metrolink thread, TfGM is looking at a single vehicle of double the length which can replace double M5000s and also operate as a tram-train. This ought to make M5000s available for those routes where a single vehicle is adequate, or that need double vehicles but don't have enough crowding to justify the new ones (which will have more passenger space than a double due to no middle cabs or coupler).

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Probably quite high and unlikely to happen. The youngest M5000s are only around five years old, and as posted either upthread here or on the other Metrolink thread, TfGM is looking at a single vehicle of double the length which can replace double M5000s and also operate as a tram-train. This ought to make M5000s available for those routes where a single vehicle is adequate, or that need double vehicles but don't have enough crowding to justify the new ones (which will have more passenger space than a double due to no middle cabs or coupler).
With the matter of any new unit being much greater in length per carriage unit, would the extremely short radius line curvature in places near the Pomona tram stop, the Crossacres tram stop and the Simonsway tram stop be a cause of operational concern?

edwin_m

Veteran Member
With the matter of any new unit being much greater in length per carriage unit, would the extremely short radius line curvature in places near the Pomona tram stop, the Crossacres tram stop and the Simonsway tram stop be a cause of operational concern?
I'd expect the articulated sections to be no longer than the existing ones, but there would be more of them. So curving issues would be no worse than with M5000s.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I'd expect the articulated sections to be no longer than the existing ones, but there would be more of them. So curving issues would be no worse than with M5000s.
I appear to not have seen the postings that have related to articulation and have been labouring under the misapprehension of a long wheelbase body unit with a centre connection in comparison to the existing body unit length with a centre connection.

Northerngirl

I think the 30xx should be replaced with new double length tram trains, & keep the 31xx, the slight upgrades on them make them a better experience

507 001

Established Member
might be time to replace these trams

The M5000s have another 15 years left in them (at least). They aren’t going anywhere yet.

So, even better than getting more trams, fixing the current network which is subject to delays, points failures, road traffic collisions etc.

There’s a lot of work planned for the summer to fix a lot of these issues.

I think the 30xx should be replaced with new double length tram trains, & keep the 31xx, the slight upgrades on them make them a better experience

None of them are going to be replaced any time soon.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I appear to not have seen the postings that have related to articulation and have been labouring under the misapprehension of a long wheelbase body unit with a centre connection in comparison to the existing body unit length with a centre connection.
I haven't seen anything recently saying specifically that they would be made up of more sections articulated together rather than longer ones, but that's how trams are made for the very reason you mentioned earlier. It also means that tram manufacturers can have standard designs of body section and just add more of them to produce a longer tram (obviously not quite that simple in practice). In Dublin, they even lengthened some trams by buying extra body sections and articulations.

507 001

Established Member
I haven't seen anything recently saying specifically that they would be made up of more sections articulated together rather than longer ones, but that's how trams are made for the very reason you mentioned earlier. It also means that tram manufacturers can have standard designs of body section and just add more of them to produce a longer tram (obviously not quite that simple in practice). In Dublin, they even lengthened some trams by buying extra body sections and articulations.

Any additional vehicles will have sections similar in length to the M5000s. Theres not much scope for longer sections, and shorter ones would be problematic.