• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Metropolitan to Barking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

i3lu

I was yesterday in a Metropolitan S8 train and at Liv. Street driver was announcing that the train will be now a Hammersmith and City line train and next station will be Aldgate East.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

NSEFAN

Established Member
Was what is now the Hammersmith and City line not once part of the Metropolitan?

Met Driver

Established Member
I was yesterday in a Metropolitan S8 train and at Liv. Street driver was announcing that the train will be now a Hammersmith and City line train and next station will be Aldgate East.

S8s are not allowed to operate in passenger service between Liverpool St. and Barking, nor do Metropolitan line drivers have the requisite route knowledge. Are you sure you were on an S8? Did you make a note of a car number?

If it was an automated announcement then it's possible the driver input a wrong destination code. S8s and S7s can all be set up for any terminus/reversing point on the sub surface lines.

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Was what is now the Hammersmith and City line not once part of the Metropolitan?

Yes it was, although latterly the service pattern and rolling stock utilisation was similar to today, i.e. the Circle line and Hammersmith to Barking section both used C Stock (S7s now) and the Aldgate to Uxbridge/Watford/Amersham/Chesham section was A Stock (S8s now). There was a bit more interworking by train crews though, depending on the depot and period in time.

Last edited:

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Might have been an S7+1, else maybe just an error.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

jaig

I remember reading on Wikipedia that it is possible to have S8-1 for Circle/District/H&C but is this possible and had it ever happened?

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

Domh245

Established Member
There are a few S7s which stable at Wembley Park and then work back onto the H&C in service, is it possible that you were on one of these?
I remember reading on Wikipedia that it is possible to have S8-1 for Circle/District/H&C but is this possible and had it ever happened?

Nope, S8-1 never happened (apart from during testing and possibly some delivery runs, although those may have been S7-1s! I can't remember)

jaig

There are a few S7s which stable at Wembley Park and then work back onto the H&C in service, is it possible that you were on one of these?

Nope, S8-1 never happened (apart from during testing and possibly some delivery runs, although those may have been S7-1s! I can't remember)
Oh, ok thanks :)

i3lu

S8s are not allowed to operate in passenger service between Liverpool St. and Barking, nor do Metropolitan line drivers have the requisite route knowledge. Are you sure you were on an S8? Did you make a note of a car number?

If it was an automated announcement then it's possible the driver input a wrong destination code. S8s and S7s can all be set up for any terminus/reversing point on the sub surface lines.

I'm sure that was an S8 because the seats was "face to face". The driver announced. I know that all have same DVA. I was curious just if this situation was happening anytime in past cause platforms length could be shorter for an S8. In my opinion a H&C train was missing and they just need to keep that journey to Barking. Unfortunately I left train in Liv. Street.

Met Driver

Established Member
I'm sure that was an S8 because the seats was "face to face". The driver announced. I know that all have same DVA. I was curious just if this situation was happening anytime in past cause platforms length could be shorter for an S8. In my opinion a H&C train was missing and they just need to keep that journey to Barking. Unfortunately I left train in Liv. Street.

Not possible, for reasons I've already mentioned. Specifically the CSDE/SDO and OPO-CCTV equipment between Aldgate East and Upminster is not configured for S8 passenger operation.

Dstock7080

Established Member
There are S7 H&C/Circle workings from Liverpool Street to Barking that then run empty to Upminster depot.

Status
Not open for further replies.