• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

MG11 for ticket for the week after

Status
Not open for further replies.

_anonymous101

Hi,
I bought a return ticket from three bridges to Canterbury. I was planning on taking the trip the week after however I spontaneously changed it to this week, I bought the ticket this week (on the app) and for some reason put next weeks dates. The fare was the same either way. On the way home I realised my mistake when the ticket officer checked it, he crossed the dates out it was valid for Apr 25- May 25 and wrote I’d used 22/4 , however at Three bridges I was stopped as I couldn’t get through barrier with said ticket. I explained I’d stupidly put next week but travelled today, he said he has to do an MG because the man never put a signature on the date. Either way I had used it just now and it was valid for next week so what would I have been doing wrong?. I’m stressed now as I have no money and no time to have anxiety over this. Am I going to be fined because I don’t see the issue in having a ticket and using it a week early ( not that I knew I’d even messed up dates I was travelling ) but u get the gist. Sorry if I sound naive but what can they fine me for?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WesternLancer

Established Member
Hi,
I bought a return ticket from three bridges to Canterbury. I was planning on taking the trip the week after however I spontaneously changed it to this week, I bought the ticket this week (on the app) and for some reason put next weeks dates. The fare was the same either way. On the way home I realised my mistake when the ticket officer checked it, he crossed the dates out it was valid for Apr 25- May 25 and wrote I’d used 22/4 , however at Three bridges I was stopped as I couldn’t get through barrier with said ticket. I explained I’d stupidly put next week but travelled today, he said he has to do an MG because the man never put a signature on the date. Either way I had used it just now and it was valid for next week so what would I have been doing wrong?. I’m stressed now as I have no money and no time to have anxiety over this. Am I going to be fined because I don’t see the issue in having a ticket and using it a week early ( not that I knew I’d even messed up dates I was travelling ) but u get the gist. Sorry if I sound naive but what can they fine me for?
Welcome to the forum.

To give you decent info it would help to have the info on exact name of the ticket - but usually an outward portion of a ticket is only valid for use on the date stated on the ticket (unless it is a day return the return portion could be valid for up to a month). So they could maybe seek to penalise you for travelling without a ticket valid for use on the day of travel (I suppose in theory you could have been supposed to refund the one with the wrong date, pay any exchange fee owed, and buy a new, correctly dated ticket).

Unless you got a discount for buying your ticket in advance (a so called 'Advance' ticket) there is never any point in buying a ticket before your day of travel in case plans change.

Sounds like barrier staff being a bit over diligent (they could just have taken ticket off you as it was end of journey and this would have prevented you using ticket again on 25 april for example)

Presumably you may now get a letter from the railway company questioning you about this / possibly suggesting you did not have a valid ticket when you travelled. When you get that letter best thing to do is to return here and ask for more specific advice on what to do. It may be some weeks before you get such a letter, watch out for it as it is vital that you respond to it to avoid any risk of it escalating to court action without you realising.

Status
Not open for further replies.