• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Michael Palin’s “Confessions of a Trainspotter” Great Railway Journeys of the World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mogz

I have always loved this 1980 travelogue by Michael Palin, where he travels from
Euston to Kyle of Lochalsh over four days.

I would be interested to know (if anyone does know):

1. Was this all shot as one journey or was it done over a longer period than the suggested four days?

I ask as Palin is shown at both Rocket 150 at Rainhill, which I believe was May 1980, and the Edinburgh Festival which would have been in September 1980. He also travels from Manchester to York begins Flying Scotsman, and I can’t find reference to this specific excursion anywhere online.

2. Does anyone know when it was shot?

3. Was there more footage that was cut? I remember reading somewhere that the original script included the West Highland line (shown only as clips in the closing credits) and then returning from London to Glasgow on the brand new APT.

Bit of a geeky request made purely to satisfy my own curiosity :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

I remember this programme made a big impression on me when it was broadcast. I'm afraid I can't answer any of your specific questions however I'm sure I read a few years ago that the blue enamel Kyle of Lochalsh sign that Michael Palin collects from the station, did in fact belong to a collector already and was used as a stage prop for the programme.

Mogz

I'm sure I read a few years ago that the blue enamel Kyle of Lochalsh sign that Michael Palin collects from the station, did in fact belong to a collector already and was used as a stage prop for the programme.

Now that is interesting! I met Michael Palin once (very briefly) at a book signing and asked him if he still had the sign. He told me it was sold to a collector at a charity auction. Needless to say I didn’t have time to quiz him on any other aspects of the programme!

Spamcan81

I travelled on the Kyle line not long after the programme was screened. The hostess in the observation car who also appears in the programme told us that not everything televised was as it seemed. One example was when MP walked of with his station sign giving the impression he was taking it home with him. She said that the moment the cameras stopped running, the plate was handed back to BR for onward delivery.
I can confirm the run with 4472 was a public excursion. I opted to chase it but any thought of doing sound recording of the train was scuppered by the presence of the helicopter that carried one of the film crews.

I have always loved this 1980 travelogue by Michael Palin, where he travels from
Euston to Kyle of Lochalsh over four days.

I would be interested to know (if anyone does know):

1. Was this all shot as one journey or was it done over a longer period than the suggested four days?

I ask as Palin is shown at both Rocket 150 at Rainhill, which I believe was May 1980, and the Edinburgh Festival which would have been in September 1980. He also travels from Manchester to York begins Flying Scotsman, and I can’t find reference to this specific excursion anywhere online.

2. Does anyone know when it was shot?

3. Was there more footage that was cut? I remember reading somewhere that the original script included the West Highland line (shown only as clips in the closing credits) and then returning from London to Glasgow on the brand new APT.

Bit of a geeky request made purely to satisfy my own curiosity :)
Manchester to York with 4472 was filmed on 15 June 1980.
Details on Sixbellsjunc. site, https://www.sixbellsjunction.co.uk/80s/800615sl.htm

Mogz

Wow! So this “four day train journey” was in fact done over the course of some months?

Artistic licence, I suppose.

My suspicions were first raised when I noticed that Mr Palin steps into a Mark 3 Inter-city coach at Euston but is then immediately seen seated inside what can only be Mk 2 (D-F) stock.

Then the footage showing the train he is ostensibly travelling on switches between Class 86 and 87 locos.

He’s on a train to Manchester but is then seen at Rainhill before going from Manchester to York by Flying Scotsman...

As a 6 year old I believed every moment of it!

It still happens though- in Michael Portillo’s Great Railway Journeys series he’s often shown as travelling on one type of stock and the interior is clearly a different class of train.

Taunton

Established Member
Wow! So this “four day train journey” was in fact done over the course of some months?
It's a scripted television entertainment programme (and a good one), not a factual representation.

I believe his "around the world in 80 days" likewise was done in two parts, with a break at Hong Kong when all returned to London for a while. OK, I've done the Three Peaks in 24 hours. But it was a very liberal definition of "24 hours".

What I noticed was when he ran off a couple of loco names he recollected from spotting days he included good old Lady Godiva. Now 45519 was a longstanding Bristol Barrow Road loco, I'm surprised it was regular as far north as Sheffield.

Last edited:

Mikey C

Established Member
It's a scripted television entertainment programme (and a good one), not a factual representation.

I believe his "around the world in 80 days" likewise was done in two parts, with a break at Hong Kong when all returned to London for a while. OK, I've done the Three Peaks in 24 hours. But it was a very liberal definition of "24 hours".

What I noticed was when he ran off a couple of loco names he recollected from spotting days he included good old Lady Godiva. Now 45519 was a longstanding Bristol Barrow Road loco, I'm surprised it was regular as far north as Sheffield.

Pretty sure "around the world in 80 days" was done as one continuous journey, his book about it doesn't mention a break

The later "full circle" series was done in two parts though, but then that was a MUCH longer series

Mogz

I’d love to see any cut or “found” footage from “Confessions”. It was one of those programmes that helped cement my love of railways as a youngster.

I imagine that the West Highland line was shot as a full documentary segment but that the programme had to be edited to fit the time slot and it wad thought best to superimpose it over the credits.

Whatever the case, great programme.

GrimShady

Established Member
Excellent seen at the end of a 27 and just two MK2 coaches running to Ft William. It would have been nice if this had also been part of the episode.

Moriarty01

Some further info on this:

Michael Palin's published diaries show that filming for the trip took place between 7th May and 21st May 1980.

An initial cut shown on 30th July was disappointing and "depressing viewing" for Palin.

More work done on the editing and commentary on 25th August and on 4th September and Palin much happier with results.

If you look at the Edinburgh Festival scenes then Palin doesnt appear in them at all! So guess these were added in by a different camera crew.

The Flying Scotsman footage also would have been added in after the initial journey filming was completed.

Status
Not open for further replies.