• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Michael Wand's "Plan B" ideas for alternative High Speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
http://data.parliament.uk/writtenev.../the-economic-case-for-hs2/written/12600.html
...Route operation: the Plan B route on the map is, in effect, a major upgrade of the Midland Main Line. If built, it would give Manchester and Leeds, Wolverhampton, Birmingham and Coventry a second main line each to London, with Bradford getting its first direct line for decades. The scheme would be operated with the MML but in competition with the train operators on the West Coast and East Coast Main Lines...

I stumbled across this HS2 counter proposal which looks interesting. It has a map showing a London to Sheffield route with branches to Birmingham, Leeds, Bradford and Manchester. This uses the Midland mainline for much of the route and has connections shown too.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

higthomas

Loving the high speed trains to Southport! :D

On a serious note, I think it's a silly idea, although there are good aspects to it. But quotes like this
Unlike HS2, it follows existing rail and motorway corridors where possible.
kind of ruin it. (In terms of practicality. Building a newline next to an old one just wastes pointlessly large amounts of money knocking down large swathes of towns that have clustered around existing railways.)

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
I liked the idea for the East Midlands. With onward connections from the airport to the three main cities.
I also think the link to the current lines in Birmingham and Manchester and West Yorks should be looked at by HS2.
I guess it wilk be slower than WCML from Manchester to Birmingham though. But I think more areas would benefit from this Plan B despite it's problems than HS2 and it's poor rail links.

Blamethrower

wow it looks if they've done HS"Follow the M1".

I would love to see how they propose getting another railway through the centre of Luton, bye bye Leagrave (hmm, maybe not such a bad plan then)

Jonny

Established Member
While I think HS2 is a good idea, my main concern is that the terminal is still in the Euston/Camden/Islington area (King's Cross/St. Pancras are also in Camden). The best "final sites" are London Bridge, Waterloo and Liverpool Street for access to the City which would need building alongside or immediately above the existing incoming 'classic' lines.

AM9

Veteran Member
wow it looks if they've done HS"Follow the M1".

I would love to see how they propose getting another railway through the centre of Luton, bye bye Leagrave (hmm, maybe not such a bad plan then)

Tunnel, it might be safer. :)

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Some of the trains are planned to go through the Thameslink Tunnel? I wonder which they they would replace? Presumably this means CC HS2 trains only which can manage with overhead power and third rail?

Oh, and Leeds Bradford airport needs rebuilding somewhere else...

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
Some of the trains are planned to go through the Thameslink Tunnel? I wonder which they they would replace? Presumably this means CC HS2 trains only which can manage with overhead power and third rail?

Oh, and Leeds Bradford airport needs rebuilding somewhere else...

HS1 Javalin trains can run on both so it's clearly possible. I would have prefered a St Pancras end so Eurostar is connected. But the thameslink station is still closer than Euston.
I don't believe airport connections are essential. I just liked the route from London to Leeds/Manchester and Birmingham.

Last edited by a moderator:

edwin_m

Veteran Member
While I think HS2 is a good idea, my main concern is that the terminal is still in the Euston/Camden/Islington area (King's Cross/St. Pancras are also in Camden). The best "final sites" are London Bridge, Waterloo and Liverpool Street for access to the City which would need building alongside or immediately above the existing incoming 'classic' lines.

Only a minority of passengers want to go to the City and most of them will be commuters on shorter-distance services. Somewhere convenient for the West End is likely to be more popular as well as being a shorter route to reach it.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
HS1 Javalin trains can run on both so it's clearly possible. I would have prefered a St Pancras end so Eurostar is connected. But the thameslink station is still closer than Euston.
I don't believe airport connections are essential. I just liked the route from London to Leeds/Manchester and Birmingham.

i don't doubt it's possible. However it appears to provide much less capacity (due to smaller trains) without being obviously cheaper.

The supporters of this scheme do seem to think airport connections are essential.

Status
Not open for further replies.