• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Micklefield Engineering Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bayum

Established Member
What is going on up at Micklefield??

Went past on the train today, and most of the track had been taken up on the up line from Micklefield, just outside Church Fenton.

Now, I know the line is being upgraded to allow faster transition from the line from York onto the line from Hull at Micklefield, but how does taking the track up as far as Church Fenton achieve this??

I asked my dad, but he hasn't been involved with Micklefield and York since the middle of 2007.

Thanks!!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Craig

Established Member
General track renewals, particularly in Church Fenton Down Leeds platform. Track was in a bad way. Hoping they up the 15mph restrictions on Northern in that platform now.

Bayum

Established Member
Ahh right

Fair enough

Wasn't sure if it was linked to what was happening at Micklefield or not

1D53

Established Member
They are also renewing the up and down Normanton between Church Fenton and Colton Junction which was also littered with speed restrictions. I imagine the line speed between Micklefield and Church Fenton will be increased to 90 throughout.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
They've been talking about doing upgrades on this line for many years but kept putting it off. The plan was originally to increase the junction at Micklefield to 100mph from the York direction as apparently the sections either side have a suitable alignment and the signalling can cope with 100 but are only 90 because there's no point due to the 70 restriction at Micklefield. They also planned to increase Church Fenton from 80 to 90.

Bayum

Established Member
When is this all supposed to have been done by??

And is it only particular weekends?? Yesterday (Sunday) trains were running through their as normal

Status
Not open for further replies.