• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Microsoft word help

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnthonyRail

Established Member
hi guys, I need to do a title for my newsletter.

Had intended to use a picture as the text. So the word instead of being one colour shows the picture across the letter with the background clear.

Hard to explain sorry, anyone know. Thxs

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ComUtoR

Established Member
Try Publisher or any other desktop publishing program.

Bevan Price

Established Member
You can probably do what you want using imaging software, of which there are various free versions available, e.g. Paint.Net, Gimp, etc.
Ideally, use a version that contains a "Layers" option. Put the picture in one layer, the letter in a different layer. You should then be able to adjust the transparency of each layer until you get the effect you want. Then "merge" the two layers, and save the resulting image in .jpg format, which you should then be able to import into Word.

SteveP29

You can probably do what you want using imaging software, of which there are various free versions available, e.g. Paint.Net, Gimp, etc.
Ideally, use a version that contains a "Layers" option. Put the picture in one layer, the letter in a different layer. You should then be able to adjust the transparency of each layer until you get the effect you want. Then "merge" the two layers, and save the resulting image in .jpg format, which you should then be able to import into Word.

The solution I'd seen says you can still do it in Powerpoint, then copy and paste it over to word, but it won't be editable.

malc-c

It can be done in Word, although it's limited to existing word art. This is how to do it (I'm using Word 2007, so should work with all later versions)

example.png
  • From the INSERT tab select WORD ART
  • Choose a format that meets the requirements
  • Enter the text and choose the font and style - for an image it's best o have wide bold text
  • Click OK to insert the text into the document
  • RIGHT CLICK on the text and select FORMAT WORDART
  • Select COLOURS & LINES
  • Click on the FILL EFFECTS button next to the colour box
  • In the next pop up box select PICTURE tab
  • Click on the SELECT PICTURE button and navigate to the image and select it
  • Click OK to close that box
  • Click OK to close the format box
  • The text will now be made up from the image

Regretfully there is no way of reversing the text so that the text is cut out of the image.

Last edited:

Regretfully there is no way of reversing the text so that the text is cut out of the image.
If you want the words cut out of the picture, put the picture behind (wrap text) the text and change the font colour/fill to white. This wouldn't work if you want a different background to show through, though.

malc-c

If you want the words cut out of the picture, put the picture behind (wrap text) the text and change the font colour/fill to white. This wouldn't work if you want a different background to show through, though.

Yes that would work, and if you use the built in colour pallet you can select the same text colour for the page colour and get the same effect, but it does look like you simply overlaid coloured text over the image rather "cut out" the text from the image

example 2.png

eastwestdivide

Established Member
Just because it can be done, doesn't mean it's always a good idea.
For me, the example in post 8 above has a double downside: it makes the text less legible and also spoils the photo.

Yes that would work, and if you use the built in colour pallet you can select the same text colour for the page colour and get the same effect, but it does look like you simply overlaid coloured text over the image rather "cut out" the text from the image

View attachment 63816
I was referring to a picture background. For a solid colour background your method is a good solution.

malc-c

For me, the example in post 8 above has a double downside: it makes the text less legible and also spoils the photo.

I guess it's all down to personal preferences - the OP asked if it was possible and if it was how to do it within word - I've offered a solution, which, personally given the image I used, would agree with your comments. But with a less busy image (seascape for example) it might work. You can also set the outline up to make the letters stand out a tad more.

In this example I've used an image of a planted fish tank so there is lots of green filling the image. I've also made the image 50% transparent which makes the test stand out a little more. Playing about with the image and other settings should allow the OP to get a result he is happy with

example 3.png

Last edited:

whhistle

On Moderation
This!
Go with the text aligned to one side, picture on the other (or below / above).

Use tables to align it properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.