• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Middlesbrough to Kings Cross

Status
Not open for further replies.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Hi,

I was wondering a couple of things about this route, firstly when did direct services between MBR and KGX finish, my Mum only knows that it was some time in the 1980s? Secondly I have always wondered what kind of traction provided the service, I assume it would have been HSTs (at least after their introduction in the 70s), but what else worked the route?

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Thanks for the answers so far, I'm not suprised my mum got the date wrong for the services end, she aint much of a rail enthusiast!

Anyone know anything about the traction on it?

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
No, sorry, I nevwer travelled on it, although I have seen pictures in an old magazine of it being an HST when it was called, I think, The Cleveland Executive!

flymo

Established Member
All the times I travelled on it, it was an HST. Good for bashing too, wonderful run down the Durham coast in the early light.

Times from 1985. No up journey on Sundays but the down ran every day. Only the Cleveland Executive Mon - Fri, other times no name.

Attachments

• Cleveland Executive.PNG
    Cleveland Executive.PNG
    14.1 KB · Views: 61

dk1

Veteran Member
1989 GBTT shows it as 05.10SX 05.36SO Newcastle to Kings Cross via Durham Coast calling Sunderland, Hartlepool, Middlesborough, Thornaby SO, Eaglescliffe SO, Northalleton, York, Doncaster SO, Grantham, Peterborough SO & Stevenage SX. Due Kings Cross 09.33SX 10.13SO. No down working at all or any service on Sundays. The Cleveland Executive name was only used SX.

Capybara

Did it not act, for a few years at least, as the parliamentary service for Eaglescliffe to Northallerton via Yarm until trans-pennine services started using the route again?

flymo

Established Member
I would vote NO to that as there were plenty of trains between Eaglescliffe and Northallerton every day, although mainly freight. The only station now on the line, Yarm, only (re)opened in 1996. The route from Northallerton to Durham via Eaglescliffe & Ferryhill was a regular diversion on Sundays so no I wouldn't describe this route as having a Parliamentary service.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Thanks for the info flymo, very interesting and helpful!

dk1 could you elaborate as to what SO and SX mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.