• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Midland Mainline (South) capacity issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Part of the reason EMT is emptier is that many people in Nottingham area drive to Grantham and people around Derby probably head for the WCML instead. So making the MML even slower by adding extra stops might even mean even fewer passengers on the majority of the journey.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Part of the reason EMT is emptier is that many people in Nottingham area drive to Grantham and people around Derby probably head for the WCML instead. So making the MML even slower by adding extra stops might even mean even fewer passengers on the majority of the journey.

Derby people don’t head for the WCML as a rule. People on the eastern outer suburbs of Nottingham might head to Grantham, but it will be a relatively small number. I used to, but that’s when the Grantham car park was about £2 rather than £12.50.

The reason the MML is emptier on LDHS is that there are fewer traffic generators for London for the service provided.

Kettledrum

From my observations, the EMT services are probably the lightest loaded of all LDHS services into London. Off peak is often deserted.

Perhaps I'm having a senior moment, but what is LDHS? Either way, if true, suggests EMT have got something seriously wrong with their business plan - ticket prices too high? journey times too slow?

I bow to your greater knowledge, besides St Albans still has the fast TL services to use.

So what services would stop at which station? Nottinghams already stop at Luton Parkway and Bedford, Corbys already stop at Luton and Bedford so could Sheffields stop at Luton and Bedford?

East Midlands trains from the North seem to stop at so many stations already that journey times are far too slow from stations north of Leicester. Passengers choose not to travel or drive to Doncaster or Grantham and use the faster ECML. Perhaps this is linked to the light loading of the trains?

Jorge Da Silva

Established Member
Perhaps I'm having a senior moment, but what is LDHS? Either way, if true, suggests EMT have got something seriously wrong with their business plan - ticket prices too high? journey times too slow?

East Midlands trains from the North seem to stop at so many stations already that journey times are far too slow from stations north of Leicester. Passengers choose not to travel or drive to Doncaster or Grantham and use the faster ECML. Perhaps this is linked to the light loading of the trains?

LDHS= Long Distance High Speed

Kettledrum

Derby people don’t head for the WCML as a rule.

Sorry Bald Rick, you are wrong. In peak times, there are significant numbers from South of Derby and Burton who travel to Tamworth and use the fast Virgin services. I know this because I have numerous colleagues who do this and speak to lots of them every week. If you do a search on a ticket booking site, it will even suggest Derby to Tamworth, change at Tamworth, then Tamworth to London as an alternative to the MML - in peak times anyway.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Sorry Bald Rick, you are wrong. In peak times, there are significant numbers from South of Derby and Burton who travel to Tamworth and use the fast Virgin services. I know this because I have numerous colleagues who do this and speak to lots of them every week. If you do a search on a ticket booking site, it will even suggest Derby to Tamworth, change at Tamworth, then Tamworth to London as an alternative to the MML - in peak times anyway.

Well the people I know in Derby don’t, but then I don’t know many, and only one of them is south side (Chellaston, he uses Derby and sometimes EM Parkway).

Besides, there are precisely 4 Fast Virgin services from Tamworth to Euston daily, and one of those is at 2205. I don’t believe that there are a ‘significant’ number of people who travel from Derby for these; perhaps 100 total? Compared to several thousand travelling by EMT.

Burton is, of course, not Derby. It’s in Staffordshire for a start!

edwin_m

Veteran Member
If we're getting anecdotal I know people in West Bridgford area who drive to Grantham. Parking at Nottingham is £9 and EM Parkway is £8 but someone else is paying and once they've got into the car they might as well go to Grantham where the train is quicker.

Status
Not open for further replies.