• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Mileage Request (Austria)

Status
Not open for further replies.

03_179

Established Member
Can anyone advise on the mileage/KMage of Wien Hbf to Klagenfurt please.

I have the old mileage from Wien Sudbahnhof to Klagenfurt just not the now one.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
The ERT has 329 km for the current route Wien Hbf to Klagenfurt Hbf via Brück an der Mur and Unzmarkt.
It's going to change over the next decade, with several new constructions along the line.
The Semmering Pass section will be avoided by a new tunnel under construction, saving 14km or so (works at each end visible from the old line).
Once the Koralmbahn tunnel (between Graz and Klagenfurt) is finished the main route will be via Graz and a good deal shorter/quicker.
And I was reading that ÖBB plan to reroute fast services between Wien Neustadt and Meidling via Wampersdorf (the Pottendorfer Line).
This line is to be upgraded and doubled, freeing the main Südbahn route as a metro line.
This route would be about 7km longer than the present route.
The present route is highly scenic (I travelled Venice-Vienna this year), so it was good to experience it before the major changes kick in.

03_179

Established Member
I last did it in 2010 from Meidling to Klagenfurt.

Going next year (2020) from Hbf to Velden in July/August.

329km will do ... thanks :)

AlexNL

Established Member
I regularly use the brouter tool when I want to measure the distance between stations or along a route. It uses OpenStreetMaps data (which is very good) and it's very accurate at calculating the distance. (Set the dropdown in the top left to 'Rail')

Wien Hbf - Klagenfurt via the Semmeringbahn works out to be 330,5 km.

03_179

Established Member
I like that tool it's a bit fiddly first couple times but once you are used to it .. BINGO ... thanks

dutchflyer

Established Member
In THIS case it hardly differs, as the new shiny big HBF in Wien is on the angle of the old Süd and Ost BHF., which ended in a corner ijn a single building at their head-ends.

tynesider

I used to use the Raildar.fr site, but this seems to have been down for the last few days - I'm getting a 502 Bad Gateway message.

Does anyone know if it's been switched off permanently?

CC 72100

Established Member
I used to use the Raildar.fr site, but this seems to have been down for the last few days - I'm getting a 502 Bad Gateway message.

Does anyone know if it's been switched off permanently?

Was just about to ask whether the brouter website referenced above was similar to raildar which I've used in the past, but alas I've got the same message for the latter.

Status
Not open for further replies.