• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Milton Keynes platform 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

eMeS

When Milton Keynes station (MKC) was upgraded back in around 2008, an extra down line was added and a new platform, 6 on the west of the station. The routeing for platform 6 is via Knowlhill Junction, (new?) and I've always wondered what advantages this gave in the workings of the WCML, and the station. With a decade of usage, was this the optimum layout?

Many thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ianno87

Veteran Member
When Milton Keynes station (MKC) was upgraded back in around 2008, an extra down line was added and a new platform, 6 on the west of the station. The routeing for platform 6 is via Knowlhill Junction, (new?) and I've always wondered what advantages this gave in the workings of the WCML, and the station. With a decade of usage, was this the optimum layout?

Many thanks

It gives:
-The ability for consecutive Fast line trains to call at Milton Keynes at 3 minute headways (albeit ony one direction at a time). From the south, a stopping train can be 3 minutes' headway at Bletchley without impeding a fast train due to the 75mph turnout at Knowlhill and length of 'deceleration lane'

-Platform 5 acts as a "turn off lane" to wait for a path onto the Down Slow (across the Up Fast) without blocking the Down Fast. It's a 75mph route so is very fast non-stop as well

-Stopping trains when running out of sequence put into Platform 5 to be overtaken.

-P5 can also be used to turnback trains in each direction.

All in all, alot of functionality from a single platform and track alterations

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
This was before my time in MK. Was platform 1 made a through route at the same time?

Yes, and the almost-disused bay (2a) added. This was initially used for the Southern service when it was 4 car but hasn't been used for anything for a good while and most people have probably forgotten it exists! Probably be used for Oxford and Aylesbury services in future.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Yes, and the almost-disused bay (2a) added. This was initially used for the Southern service when it was 4 car but hasn't been used for anything for a good while and most people have probably forgotten it exists! Probably be used for Oxford and Aylesbury services in future.

To my surprise, a 5 car Class 377 does in fact fit in 2A.

CW2

Established Member
I had a very large hand in the design and functionality of the revised MK layout. Ianno87 has summarised the benefits well for the fast lines. To that list I'd add that you can call an Up Fast train in P5, with the following non-stop Up Fast overtaking unimpeded.
On the Slow Lines side, turning P2 into a turnback line and putting the Up Slow through P1 also works well.
All in all, it's hard to see how it could be improved upon. I'm proud of my part in its design.

aleggatta

I have seen a 8 car in there ;)

Milton Keynes by DarloRich2009, on Flickr
I’m guessing it didn’t end well...
Not much to say other than “Driver should have done better.”

If you follow the photo link it features the caption 'A failed 377206 is rescued by 377215'

Probably the only legitimately justifiable reason for an 8 car formation in that location

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Ah so a classic Southern Trains antic then!

Not much else could really be done, could it? The train is needing to set back behind a signal, so all Slow Line movements in both directions would have to be stopped / routed onto the Fasts.

DJ_K666

This is true, however It doesn't mean I'm going to say anything nice about that incompetent shower. Sorry I've had my views on them coloured by 3 years of commuting with them. It leaves an impression. A year on my blood pressure has only just returned to normal lol

al green

I had a very large hand in the design and functionality of the revised MK layout. Ianno87 has summarised the benefits well for the fast lines. To that list I'd add that you can call an Up Fast train in P5, with the following non-stop Up Fast overtaking unimpeded.
On the Slow Lines side, turning P2 into a turnback line and putting the Up Slow through P1 also works well.
All in all, it's hard to see how it could be improved upon. I'm proud of my part in its design.
I was vaguely involved in upgrade of MKC. The only thing that I thought would have improved it is for P2 to be a through platform in both directions. It can be used as a through platform in the down direction and I've seen it used in that way if there is a problem with P3. However it can only be used as a through platform in the up direction by first crossing from US to DS and then crossing to enter P2. I was told that there couldn't be a direct connection from US to P2 because US is on a curve as it enters P1 and the cant means that you can't have a point there.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
I was vaguely involved in upgrade of MKC. The only thing that I thought would have improved it is for P2 to be a through platform in both directions. It can be used as a through platform in the down direction and I've seen it used in that way if there is a problem with P3. However it can only be used as a through platform in the up direction by first crossing from US to DS and then crossing to enter P2. I was told that there couldn't be a direct connection from US to P2 because US is on a curve as it enters P1 and the cant means that you can't have a point there.

Yes, I suspect you'd have to kill the speed through Platform 1 to have a direct access from the north into P2. The cant is pretty obvious watching trains approach P1.

CW2

Established Member
I was wondering how long it would take for somebody to raise that!
It looks really odd having buffers at the north end of P2, whereas it would appear straightforward to be able to link it into the Up Slow. Yes, theoretically we could have linked it in, but that would have stuffed the Slow Lines in two different ways:
Firstly, as things currently stand, if you route a Down train into P2 to terminate (at the buffer stops) you can do so entirely independently of anything passing through on the Up Slow (P1). If you reconnected the track by abolishing the buffers at the north end of P2, the signalling overlap would fall foul of the Up Slow. So any move into P2 would block the Up Slow, and any move on the Up Slow would block P2. For capacity and timetabling reasons that is a really poor idea.
Secondly, as Ianno87 explained above, making the connection would have reduced the speed through the station on the Up Slow quite considerably. That was entirely counter to the aim of the project.
So the layout on the Slow Lines looks a bit mad - especially if you can remember what it looked like before - but it all makes good functional sense.

Hughby

Well that's solved a mystery for me! MKC is my local station and since the revamp I've often wondered why P2 wasn't a through platform. It looked so obvious that all you needed to do was to get a really big crayon and draw a line from the buffers to the up slow :)

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Yes, I suspect you'd have to kill the speed through Platform 1 to have a direct access from the north into P2. The cant is pretty obvious watching trains approach P1.

1 used to be the bay (but I think technically usable as a through platform?) and 2 the through platform - I did wonder what the reason was for swapping them over.

Edit: 1 was a bay with buffer stops:
1592736243205.png

As most trains going through 1 other than freights stop there, I'm not sure that reducing that speed would have been a great problem, and the flexibility would have been quite useful (particularly for the Sunday 2-track timetable). Perhaps a mod is needed?

Ianno87

Veteran Member
1 used to be the bay (but I think technically usable as a through platform?) and 2 the through platform - I did wonder what the reason was for swapping them over.

Makes 2 a centre turnback, so a terminating service arriving can do so in parallel to an Up train passing or departing.

As most trains going through 1 other than freights stop there, I'm not sure that reducing that speed would have been a great problem, and the flexibility would have been quite useful. Perhaps a mod is needed?

Makes a huge difference to freight speeds passing through and clearing the signal sections to Denbigh Hall South. That will be absolutely critical to the capacity of the Slow Lines once East West Rail is using them too. More useful than a parallel northern access to P2 (which is only occasionally useful for which holding something in P3 isn't a big deal)

Status
Not open for further replies.