• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Milton Keynes - Wembley Central (Groupsave)

Status
Not open for further replies.

smudge.efc

Just wondering if anyone could provide a quick bit of help/confirmation.

Heading to Wembley this weekend with Everton, left it a bit late to get on the Official coaches, so looking at driving to Milton Keynes, and catching the train from there to Wembley Central. Probably not the best Park & Ride place, but I know the MK area a little bit, so thats why we picked it.

Probably going to park up in the multi-story about 9:30-10am. Is it 24 hours does anyone know by any chance?

Main issue is the tickets from Milton Keynes to Wembley Central. It's suggesting an Off-Peak Day Travelcard @ £20. There is going to be 4 of us, travelling together at all times. Is it possible to use Groupsave, so 4 travel for the price of 2, if I understand correctly? Do I need anything extra, or can I just book them via a website?

Thanks for any help,
Rob.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
You can use Groupsave and you can just book them online (but why not just buy on the day?)

lemonic

Note that the £40 Groupsave-4 Off Peak Day Travelcard is valid on London Midland only outside London Zones 1-6. So you couldn't get the direct Southern service from Milton Keynes to Wembley Central or get London Midland to Watford Junction and change to London Overground there (You could get London Midland to Harrow & Wealdstone and change to London Overground/Bakerloo line there though)

The £41.40 Groupsave-4 Off Peak Day Return may give you more flexibility on operators although it doesn't include the underground etc.

However as hairyhandedfool says, these are all available on the day at the same price.

Brucey

I'd recommend Bletchley over MKC. Parking is cheaper: £2.70 per day at the weekend.

Other advantage is that the Bletchley to London Terminals off peak day return is £14.50 each. This has no break of journey restriction (afaik) and GroupSave is available.

Last edited:

t0ffeeman

No LOROL service between Watford J - Queens PK this weekend. Bakerloo running to Harrow. So don't change at Watford! The Southern service would still be a 4 car so will be rammed!

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Can you not use group save on the Southern service? I guard didnt bat an eye lid the last time i did that ( to Wembley!)

MKC is easier to get to in the car from the M1 but Brucey is right about he parking at Blethcley being cheaper and it is often very quiet. ( i am assuming you are coming from the NW).

LM tend to put extra Wembley stops into thier services on match days

I would just buy it on the day to save any messing about

lemonic

Can you not use group save on the Southern service? I guard didnt bat an eye lid the last time i did that ( to Wembley!)

MKC is easier to get to in the car from the M1 but Brucey is right about he parking at Blethcley being cheaper and it is often very quiet. ( i am assuming you are coming from the NW).

LM tend to put extra Wembley stops into thier services on match days

I would just buy it on the day to save any messing about

You can use GroupSave on the Southern service - Just not on a 'London Midland Only' ticket!

bnm

Established Member
London Midland are serving Wembley Central this Saturday. From MKC, trains at 0847, 0922, 0947, 1022 and 1047.

Return from WMB at 1504, 1534, 1604, 1634, 1704.

From Milton Keynes, One Day Travelcard London Midland Only is £20. With GroupSave 4 that will be a total of £40 (£10ea)

Should you chose Bletchley to park up you have the added bonus that the One Day Travelcard is Any Permitted so you can use either Southern or London Midland services, giving much more flexibility to pick and chose trains to/from Wembley Central. Still £20. Or £40 total (£10ea) with GroupSave 4.

Alternatively from Bletchley, if you don't require any underground travel pre- or post- match then the Off Peak Day Return is £16.20, again Any Permitted. With GroupSave 4 that's £32.40 total or £8.10 each.

Brucey

Alternatively from Bletchley, if you don't require any underground travel pre- or post- match then the Off Peak Day Return is £16.20, again Any Permitted. With GroupSave 4 that's £32.40 total or £8.10 each.
London Terminals is slightly cheaper than Wembley Central, at £14.50 each. Restriction LW, so no break of journey restriction.

MKD

At the weekends you can park just literally a couple of minutes walk further away from Milton Keynes station for FREE (and on the way to the multi-storey so actually saves time).

A carpark area off the Grid Road Grafton Gate on the station side is Mon-Fri charging only.

See the MK Council page at :
http://www.milton-keynes.gov.uk/mkparking/displayarticle.asp?ID=66103

Look at the map there and it's the Blue/Black diagonal (area A2) there. Of course if it IS full (unlikely but possible) you just drive round the corner to the station multi-storey and pay the £4.50/weekend-day (ie less of a rip-off than normal weekday £8.10).

MKD

Last edited:

IanD

Established Member
I always park in the freebie spaces MKD suggests, rarely full. Never had a problem finding a space and/or leaving the car until early next day.

Of course if it IS full (unlikely but possible) you just drive round the corner to the station multi-storey and pay the £4.50/weekend-day (ie less of a rip-off than normal weekday £8.10).

Or park in the purple zones on the map - 30p per hour 8am-6pm so max £3 for the day.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Looks like the purple zones charge applies from 7am so max £3.30 a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.