• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Minimum Connection time at Newport

Status
Not open for further replies.

jnjkerbin

This summer, I will be travelling from Paddington to Ludlow, changing at Newport.
The option which comes up on NRE allows 5 mins time to change at Newport. The minimum connection time at Newport is also 5 minutes. Having not travelled to S Wales on GW before, are the trains reliable enough to allow us to change as if we miss it it could result in a wait of 45 minutes. Also is it quick to change at Newport or should I look for a slightly longer layover there.

Any help if much appreciated.

Thanks
Joe:)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

All Line Rover

Established Member
To change trains at Newport is very easy and quick, providing you are at the Cardiff end of the train. It's just up the stairs, along the bridge, and back down the stairs. :)

FGW's reliability, however, is a different matter. I've often been a few minutes late when arriving at Newport.

Ivo

Established Member
As ALR says Newport is a five connection, and to be honest it isn't difficult (try to be no further back than Coach D though).

I would be more worried about an awkward connection coming back, if you are also travelling from Ludlow to London via Newport. I have tried it twice, and both times the Marches train has been late; the first time ATW got away with it because the FGW train was also late - the second time, things didn't go as well...

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
I use this route a lot, albeit from Hereford not Ludlow. It is quite possible to miss the connection going North because the Paddington trains are often late. The Marches trains tend to be somewhat better, but you can still miss the connection Eastbound.

If you do miss the connection, there are a number of pubs and cafes in walking distance if you don't want to stay on the station. Obviously your ticket will be valid for the next train if this happens, although if you're using an advance it's a good idea (although not strictly necessary) to get the Newport booking office to stamp it as proof of the delay.

If you're on the last connection of the day, they are very good about making sure you get home. I once had the northbound train held for me (the FGW guard was surprised as this was the first time his control had ever agreed to it in his experience), but have also been taxied home on a couple of occasions from Newport and even once from Bristol.

martinsh

Established Member
Is your Newport - Ludlow train one that goes to Holyhead or to Manchester ? The former start from Cardiff and so are less likely to be late than the latter which start from "beyond Carmarthen".

Agree with other posters about 5 mins connection being easy if FGW are on time.

jnjkerbin

I haven't booked tickets yet but the one I was thinking of was heading to Holyhead, so I should hopefully be alright then. The only reason I ask was that when I was coming back from Taunton last year the train was 45 minutes late at Taunton, about 60 mins late by Paddington and standing all the way!

Thanks for your help

jnjkerbin

This happened last summer so I don't even know what date this happened on. Any way, being caused by a signalling problem (possibly wire theft) I don't think its right to blame GW, however the dwell time at stations leaves much to be desired with the HSTs.

Status
Not open for further replies.