• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Minimum connection time on CIV tickets

tc99

Can anyone advise me how long I need to allow from Marylebone to St Pancras using a CIV ticket to connect to Eurostar for the connection to be deemed ‘legal’?

Many thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Can anyone advise me how long I need to allow from Marylebone to St Pancras using a CIV ticket to connect to Eurostar for the connection to be deemed ‘legal’?

Many thanks!
From BR Times:
  • Minimum connection time at Marylebone is 10 minutes
  • Fixed link time to London International (CIV) is 20 minutes for most of the day (25 minutes between 0529 and 0659, and between 1901 and 2359; 30 minutes between 0001 and 0529)
  • Minimum connection time at London International (CIV) is 35 minutes
So I'd say that would be 65 minutes most of the time.

P Binnersley

Eurostar recommended Check in Times are:

London St Pancras International​

Standard & Standard PremierBusiness PremierAccessible travel
How long before departure should I arrive? (mins)9045-6060
How long before departure does the gate close? (mins)301530

AlbertBeale

Established Member
Would the 30-minute minimum check-in time at St P be part of the 35-mins minimum connection time at London International (CIV)? Or am I misunderstanding?

If it is, then it'd be an arrival at Marylebone 30-40 mins before that (depending on time of day), ie max 75 mins before St P train departure.

[As per other threads: where the recommended "before departure" arrival at St P is massively longer than the 30-minute gate cut-off, the experience of many people suggests that such early arrivals just clog up the system and make matters worse. There seems to be a consensus that 30 mins (absolute max) prior to the 30-min gate cut-off is more than enough. However, I appreciate that the question here is about technical connection times to maintain ticket validity, not about when is, in practice, a good time to turn up at St P.]

Last edited:

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
From BR Times:
  • Minimum connection time at Marylebone is 10 minutes
  • Fixed link time to London International (CIV) is 20 minutes for most of the day (25 minutes between 0529 and 0659, and between 1901 and 2359; 30 minutes between 0001 and 0529)
  • Minimum connection time at London International (CIV) is 35 minutes
So I'd say that would be 65 minutes most of the time.
Worth noting that on a Sunday, the fixed "Tube" link applies from 0700 and is 25 minutes all day. It's perhaps surprising that a minimum connection time would vary by day of week, but it does!

Veteran Member
Would the 30-minute minimum check-in time at St P be part of the 35-mins minimum connection time at London International (CIV)? Or am I misunderstanding?
Yes, it is, which is why it's relatively high. It hasn't been altered to reflect the post-Brexit advice from ES, though.