• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Minimum connection times - Norway

Status
Not open for further replies.

skyhigh

Established Member
Does the concept of 'minimum connection times' apply in Norway? I'm looking at a journey between Oslo and Bodo as follows:
1664109157041.png
(Image shows departure at 16.02 from Oslo, arrival at 22.54 into Trondheim, 11 min transfer time, departure at 23.05 from Trondheim arriving 09.05 in Bodo)

However I'm a little worried at the 11 mins transfer time in Trondheim given if I miss the connection the next train isn't until the following morning, meaning I'll incur a hotel stay in Trondheim. The conditions on SJ Norway's website suggests that I need to allow 60 mins to be covered in case of delay - but will then sell this as a through trip which suggests it's a valid connection? If I'm not covered, I assume taking the morning train from Oslo to Trondheim is the safest option?

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
In theory I'd assume the Bodø service would be held for a reasonable amount of time as its probably a through journey from Oslo that a fair few people are making.

When on a slightly delayed service on that line but travelling to Åndalsnes, the connection waited at Dombås for us.

Gloster

Established Member
They make a lot of effort to maintain connections in Norway, even though there aren’t that many such on long-distance services. That particular one (between Oslo-Trondheim and Trondheim-Bodø trains and v.v.) is probably the most important in the country.

dutchflyer

Established Member
IF there is such a thing, it will vary per station-and perhaps even at a large station by which trains (will probably only apply to Oslo S). It is not guaranteed 100%-but as above-if it is presented as such in the planners, its reliable enough. It will also depend on when the next train is due-difference of 2 trains/day or every hour.
Its some time ago I was there, but I remember the conductor when checking also asked if any connections were needed and he kind of made a list of how many people-to inform ground control what was to be held/or not. But I guess that has now all be overtaken by electronics as data.

skyhigh

Established Member
It will also depend on when the next train is due-difference of 2 trains/day or every hour.
Thanks. It's just 2 trains a day - 07.49 and 23.05, so if I were to miss the 23.05 it'd be a fair while until the next train!

In theory I'd assume the Bodø service would be held for a reasonable amount of time as its probably a through journey from Oslo that a fair few people are making.

When on a slightly delayed service on that line but travelling to Åndalsnes, the connection waited at Dombås for us.
They make a lot of effort to maintain connections in Norway, even though there aren’t that many such on long-distance services. That particular one (between Oslo-Trondheim and Trondheim-Bodø trains and v.v.) is probably the most important in the country.
Thanks both, that is good to hear.

Status
Not open for further replies.