• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Minimum Service Levels Bill receives Royal Assent

Tractor2018

I suspect that's exactly what the Conservatives are planning on.

Labour is in a lose-lose situation here, assuming it is in power after the next election:
  • If it repeals the MSL Act, it's "beholden to the unelected unions".
  • If it gives in to the demands of the unions in the various industrial relations disputes (not just in rail, but in teaching, health, etc...), it's "beholden to the unelected unions".
  • If it does both, double-whammy.
  • If it does neither, the strikes/ASOS carry on and they get all the flak currently being directed at the Conservatives for not fixing things.
I'd bet that the Conservative attack line for most of the next Parliament will be asking who actually runs the country: Parliament or the unions? That line worked rather well in the late 70s, and look what happened after that.

Maybe Labour could spin it like a previous halfwit and say they've got an oven-ready resolution. Then it'd be a 'win' like the last outcome.

Oh, and standby for an announcement for more action from Avanti guards.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Muffinman74

3 Power to make consequential provision
(1)The Secretary of State may by regulations made by statutory instrument make provision that is consequential on this Act.
(3) A statutory instrument containing (whether alone or with other provision) regulations under this section that amend or repeal provision made by primary legislation may not be made unless a draft of the instrument has been laid before, and approved by a resolution of, each House of Parliament.
(4) Any other statutory instrument containing regulations under this section is subject to annulment in pursuance of a resolution of either House of Parliament.
Power of Secretary of State to specify minimum service levels
(1)The Secretary of State may, for the purpose of enabling work notices under section 234C to be given, make provision by regulations for levels of service in relation to strikes as respects relevant services (“minimum service regulations”).
Work notices relating to minimum service levels
(1)Where minimum service regulations have been made as respects a relevant service, an employer may give a work notice to a trade union in relation to any strike
(5) A work notice must not identify more persons than are reasonably necessary for the purpose of providing the levels of service under the minimum service regulations.

It is for the train operator not Government ministers to decide whether or not to give a work notice with the aim of operating the number of services under the minimum service regulations, the train operator does not have to do this and it would appear they can legally only do so for a set of services that is agreed to be the minimum service level of 40% of the operator’s timetabled services during the strike.

Train operation services
Where a strike affects passenger train operation services, the MSL is the equivalent of 40% of the operator’s timetabled services during the strike.

But what does that mean? The following are listed as timetabled services
Brockenhurst to Lymington Pier 10 minutes
Weymouth to London Waterloo 3 hours
Is it 40% of the number of timetabled services from start station to end station? So 40% of services could be made up of the shortest services which would be a lot less than 40% of the total run time of all the train services run by the train operator during the strike? Or the longest services which would be a lot more then 40% of the total run time?

The following means that the 40% of train services whatever that is means it is in effect a ceiling not a floor on the services that an train operator can attempt to provide during a strike should the train operator decide to attempt to do so. The train operator would not be able to issue work notices for a service level more than the MSL. If more than one possible sets of services were identified which were agreed to meet the MSL would the train operator have to choose the set of services which requires the lowest number of people identified as necessary to provide the set of services?

(5) A work notice must not identify more persons than are reasonably necessary for the purpose of providing the levels of service under the minimum service regulations.
Has Labour promised to repeal this if they win the next GE?

Train_manager

Forget how many votes it would win. Labour has committed to the unions that they will repeal it. The unions are going to hold Labour to that to get it done ASAP. If they don't then I can see some significant unions withdrawing their funding.

Personally as a rather centrist lefty who wants Labour to get in I would be disgusted if they reneged on their promise.
RMT don't fund the Labour party but ASLEF still does.

I wish they didn't!!!!!

Confused52

What's the dispute about?
From the RMT site "
The company have been UNABLE to show us ANY agreement that requires train managers to work an additional sixty minutes on STP diagrams.

We are pleased our members have voted overwhelmingly to take industrial action - including strike action - over the extra sixty-minute issue, failure to consult diagrams properly and issues related to the role and responsibility of the Guard (Train Managers)."

Source: https://www.rmt.org.uk/news/members...ndustrial-relations-train-managers-awc081223/

Facing Back

From the RMT site "
The company have been UNABLE to show us ANY agreement that requires train managers to work an additional sixty minutes on STP diagrams.

We are pleased our members have voted overwhelmingly to take industrial action - including strike action - over the extra sixty-minute issue, failure to consult diagrams properly and issues related to the role and responsibility of the Guard (Train Managers)."

Source: https://www.rmt.org.uk/news/members...ndustrial-relations-train-managers-awc081223/
Forget that - I've read the RMT thing

Tractor2018

Also some role and competency issues. And Avanti are failing to even respond, never mind attempt a resolution.

BrianW

Established Member
7 days notice for a work order, Notice of strike called on 21st or 22nd Dec for action on 4th or 5th Jan mean work notices issued on 28th or 29th December, meaning train planners, & operations managemet who would not normally be working over Christmas having to work all over Christmas to get the MSL diagrams produced and approved and staff to work them identified....It seems like a simple way to get the first use of MSL to be as awkward as possible. Of course the TOCs don't have to use MSL which could be a win for ASLEF either way
IIUC from this House of Commons 'insight', and as has been said, TOCs are not obliged to 'enforce' MSLs.

A lot of words and a map. I'm imagining a number of MPs representing constituencies not on the 'Priority Network' fulminating. Time will tell.

greatkingrat

Established Member
The "Priority Network" is only relevant if Network Rail (signallers etc.) are on strike. That map has nothing to do with what services will or won't run if one or more TOCs are on strike.

Goldfish62

Established Member
The "Priority Network" is only relevant if Network Rail (signallers etc.) are on strike. That map has nothing to do with what services will or won't run if one or more TOCs are on strike.
But it's still rubbish and was obviously chosen in a rushed manner given that it's based on one set of strikes last January rather than considering what actually should be priority. For example, Thames branches and the Hounslow loop are considered priority while Richmond and Guildford are not.

In the case of Hounslow v Richmond strike day services were counter-intuitively routed via the former due to ongoing resignalling work. That routeing is now set in tablets of stone despite the completed resignalling work with everything controlled entirely from Basingstoke ROC rather than partly Feltham ASC as well.

footprints

Yes, within the first 100 days in power as part of its New Deal for Working People https://labour.org.uk/updates/stories/a-new-deal-for-working-people/
Starmer has promised lots of things and backtracked on many of them.

Scrapping plans to end the charitable status of private schools. Scrapping plans to end the two child limit for Universal Credit/Child Tax Credit. Scrapping plans to abolish tuition fees. Scrapping proposed income tax rises for the top 5% of earners. Abandoning pledges to nationalise mail, water and energy companies. Abandoning pledges to defend freedom of movement. Watering down the party's green prosperity plan.

Why should pledging to repeal the minimum service levels bill in the first 100 days in government be any different?

800 Driver

Starmer has promised lots of things and backtracked on many of them.

Scrapping plans to end the charitable status of private schools. Scrapping plans to end the two child limit for Universal Credit/Child Tax Credit. Scrapping plans to abolish tuition fees. Scrapping proposed income tax rises for the top 5% of earners. Abandoning pledges to nationalise mail, water and energy companies. Abandoning pledges to defend freedom of movement. Watering down the party's green prosperity plan.

Why should pledging to repeal the minimum service levels bill in the first 100 days in government be any different?
Because it made it through the National Policy Forum, unlike the things you listed above. Making it through NPF means it will make it to the Clause V meeting which will determine the manifesto and the Labour affiliated Unions will prioritise this and have the opportunity to veto any attempts to water down the NPF pledge at the clause V stage. Anyway the internal mechanisms of Labour Policy formation aren't really railway specific, so probably not for this forum.

Facing Back

Because it made it through the National Policy Forum, unlike the things you listed above. Making it through NPF means it will make it to the Clause V meeting which will determine the manifesto and the Labour affiliated Unions will prioritise this and have the opportunity to veto any attempts to water down the NPF pledge at the clause V stage. Anyway the internal mechanisms of Labour Policy formation aren't really railway specific, so probably not for this forum.
Not railway specific but I would argue it is relevant to the subject of this thread and it's interesting.

Personally I will wait to see what ends up in the manifesto before giving it too much credence. As others have mentioned, for the railways there are ways of rendering the act impotent without taking parliamentary time and I really don't think that it is going to be a burning priority. AIUI quite a lot of things don't make it from the NPF to the manifesto.

Rab Smith

For an industry that relies on rest day working and more importantly, good industrial relations, this is absolute suicide for the TOC's if they enforce this.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
For an industry that relies on rest day working and more importantly, good industrial relations, this is absolute suicide for the TOC's if they enforce this.
Which is problematic as I doubt they're going to be given the choice by their paymasters the DfT...

Facing Back

Are industrial relations generally good across the industry at the moment? It doesn't seem that way...

Which is problematic as I doubt they're going to be given the choice by their paymasters the DfT...
Under the legislation only the train operators can decide whether or not to plan to run exactly 40% of the services during a strike and issue work notices to their relevant employees to achieve this. It is not a decision for the Government and the legislation gives the Government no legal authority to instruct a train operator to run the 40% minimum service during a strike. If a train operator decides not to plan to run the minimum service level during a strike and not to issue any work notices there is nothing that the Government can do about it. Many of the press reports on this issue imply that train operators will be forced to run 40% of services during a strike but this is not the case, the legislation gives train operators the option to plan to do this and issue work notices for this but it does not require train operators to do this.

Last edited:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Under the legislation only the train operators can decide whether or not to plan to run exactly 40% of the services during a strike and issue work notices to their relevant employees to achieve this. It is not a decision for the Government and the legislation gives the Government no legal authority to instruct a train operator to run the 40% minimum service during a strike. If a train operator decides not to plan to run the minimum service level during a strike and not to issue any work notices there is nothing that the Government can do about it. Many of the press reports on this issue imply that train operators will be forced to run 40% of services during a strike but this is not the case, the legislation gives train operators the option to plan to do this and issue work notices for this but it does not require train operators to do this.
I admire your optimism that the DfT won't be leaning on the TOCs to ensure they issue Work Notices.

Thirteen

I do think Labour should scrap MSL, repealing the 2016 Trade Union Act, would be dumb as I think it works plus nobody wants to go back to 70s era strike action,

Krokodil

Established Member
and the legislation gives the Government no legal authority to instruct a train operator to run the 40% minimum service
It doesn't need to. It already has the operators in a position where it says "jump" and they say "how high?"

I do think Labour should scrap MSL, repealing the 2017 Bill would be dumb as I think it works plus nobody wants to go back to 70s era strike action,
Repealing the 2017 Act won't take us back to the 1970s. The 1990 Employment Act (and everything before it) was sufficient. Not that the 2017 Act has done much to prevent strikes, the government has pissed everyone off sufficiently that everything is comfortably exceeding the thresholds.

alf

On Moderation
I admire your optimism that the DfT won't be leaning on the TOCs to ensure they issue Work Notices.
The mechanism maybe that the DfT will say to the TOCs we will pay as per contract if you run the 40% min strike day service.
But if you run no services on the strike day we will pay as per contract which is 3% of turnover on the strike day. If the TOC runs no trains there will be no payment that day from the DfT.
No orders or DfT instructions. They have simple made it worthwhile for the TOC to run a minimum service.

It doesn't need to. It already has the operators in a position where it says "jump" and they say "how high?"
AIUI the train operators are currently paid a fixed fee to run the train service and the Government covers the costs and takes all the fare revenue. The Government's approval is therefore presumably needed for any change to the train service that increases costs including pay increases for staff and running more train services. However I am not clear what incentive there is under this system for the train operator to run any train services during a strike if all the fare revenue goes to the Government.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The operators can be forced to do so under their National Rail Contracts with the government.

The operators can be forced to do so under their National Rail Contracts with the government.
I have not looked at every contract but I have not so far seen anything to this effect.
I am not clear how this would be consistent with the Minimum Service Legislation.
I note the following in the transcript of the House of Commons Transport Committee session on 15 November 2023.
Q16 Grahame Morris: I want to come back to something that has happened quite recently—a ministerial statement that the minimum service levels are discretionary. It said that employers will have the discretion on whether to use MSL regulations, as the parent primary legislation, the Strikes (Minimum Service Levels) Act, does not create a statutory duty for employers to issue work notices. If that is correct, how does it sit with what you were saying earlier about your statutory powers in respect of not just franchising but issuing directions to some of the existing train operating companies? I am particularly thinking of those like LNER and Northern that are directly operated. Will you direct them if their local management says, “We do not want to use the provisions of the minimum service levels Act”?
Mark Harper: We have been very clear that this is a legislative tool that is available to employers in order that they can deliver their responsibilities to run services. They have to make judgments—and I think they are properly made by the managers of the business: they have to look at their workforce and, if there is an industrial dispute, at the number of people going on strike. They have to look at what level of service they can operate without using minimum service levels. As you know, the way the legislation is structured, with work notices, is quite detailed. Detailed operational knowledge of the business is required, and I do not think that Ministers will be successful in trying to manage the detail of individual businesses. It is a tool that is available for those companies.
Q17 Grahame Morris: It is not your intention, Secretary of State, to direct them to use the legislation to its fullest.
Mark Harper: No, we have been clear that the legislation is available for those businesses to use. I would just say, we have always been very clear with minimum service levels. They are an important tool to balance the right to strike with the important services delivered to passengers. It is very much the Government’s wish that the legislation never has to be used. In that light, I was very pleased that we settled the industrial dispute on Network Rail. I am very pleased that, since I was last here, we have seen the welcome development of the RMT agreeing to put the offer that has been on the table for some time to their workforce, with a ballot to take place and close by the end of this month. It is very much my wish, and the Government’s, that the industrial relations be resolved, and effectively that the legislation never has to be used. It is a backstop but we do not want it to be used. I would much rather we resolved the industrial disputes and were able to get on with delivering services.
Q18 Grahame Morris: We heard from a number of witnesses when the Committee did an inquiry on minimum service levels proposals that the freight operators in particular were quite happy with the existing mechanisms and did not want to be part of the minimum service levels provision.
Can I ask a question in relation to an issue that arose with the Regulatory Policy Committee? You mentioned that there had been extensive consultations with various industry bodies, the trade unions, and so on, but why was the revised impact assessment for minimum service levels not submitted to the Regulatory Policy Committee with enough time to allow them to assess its effectiveness before the regulations were laid before Parliament?
Mark Harper: Two things: on your first point about the freight industry, we are very clear that we are not forcing companies to use minimum service levels. They are tools available for them to deliver service. If in the industry industrial relations are resolved and companies do not need to use minimum service levels to deliver services, that is great. It is a backstop measure.

Last edited:

Confused52

I have not looked at every contract but I have not so far seen anything to this effect.
I am not clear how this would be consistent with the Minimum Service Legislation.
I note the following in the transcript of the House of Commons Transport Committee session on 15 November 2023.
Consider Article 7 of Chapter 4.2 of the National Rail Contract, entitled Obligation to use “all reasonable endeavours” under Chapter 4.2. You will find the same formulation under Obligation to use “all reasonable endeavours” under Schedule 1.2 of the Service Contract with the OLR subsidiaries. I read it as they do not have to use Work Notices unless they would otherwise fail to meet the 40% level in which case it would on the face of it be failing to employ all reasonable endeavours which would be in breach of contract. The choice of risk is entirely up to operators. However if they do decide to do it they would have to consult the DfT under other clauses and if DfT said yes the would be indenmified against the risk. If you were the MD what would you do?

Forget that - I've read the RMT thing
Forget what? If it is wrong correct it. The rest of us don't know what the RMT thing to which you refer actually is, or whether it is related to what you were commenting on.