• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Mis-formed SWT 158/159s

Status
Not open for further replies.

capital12

There seem to be a few mis-formed 158/159s running around in SWT land at the moment - possibly down to damage from weather related incidents and/or maintenance?!

Today 159016 was seen with 57889 from 159017 forming the rear coach, in lieu of 57888.

Seen on Saturday was half each of 158883 & 158885 forming one unit, although wasn't able to get coach numbers.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DJL

Just a thought but if they have switched coaches around, for whatever reason, aren't they more likely to remain that way rather than get switched back at a later date?

Or are these coaches of different types?

(unit numbers mean little to me beyond the class number)

fgwrich

Established Member
There seem to be a few mis-formed 158/159s running around in SWT land at the moment - possibly down to damage from weather related incidents and/or maintenance?!

Today 159016 was seen with 57889 from 159017 forming the rear coach, in lieu of 57888.

Seen on Saturday was half each of 158883 & 158885 forming one unit, although wasn't able to get coach numbers.

Aha, Thanks for clearing that one up. I saw it whilst waiting at Basingstoke for a Salisbury bound service the other day and thought that was a little odd. Still yet to see the infamous 159108 through Basingstoke yet though - perhaps it's being kept on the Salisbury 6 diagrams?

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Just a thought but if they have switched coaches around, for whatever reason, aren't they more likely to remain that way rather than get switched back at a later date?

Or are these coaches of different types?

(unit numbers mean little to me beyond the class number)

I think they're the same kind of vehicle. Vehicle numbers usually (well on DMUs at least) have a pattern, so in the case of 158/159 end vehicles are 57xxx and 52xxx.

Whether SWT will return the vehicles to the correct formation I'm not sure, but certainly operators where the vehicle numbers match the unit numbers (ie 158xxx from above) always seem to do so.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Whether SWT will return the vehicles to the correct formation I'm not sure, but certainly operators where the vehicle numbers match the unit numbers (ie 158xxx from above) always seem to do so.

They usually do change them back. The bulk of maintenance is time or mileage based, so you really want to keep the original triples or pairs together so that the maintenance is not done too early or too late on odd vehicles.

capital12

Technically short formed rather than mis-formed - 159106 was seen this morning minus it's centre coach and was in place of a 158 on the 10 coach arrival at Waterloo at 0814.

They usually do change them back. The bulk of maintenance is time or mileage based, so you really want to keep the original triples or pairs together so that the maintenance is not done too early or too late on odd vehicles.

Spot on.

Status
Not open for further replies.