Mischarged?

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by Ladder23, 8 Jan 2020.

1. Ladder23

Ladder23 Member

Hi all,

Just left Luton with x2 Charing Cross returns, asking for the cheapest way possible, I was charged almost £60 for two travelcards which are a total waste as it’s such a small journey..

Absolutely shocked at the rail prices I very rarely travel during the week,

Is this right!?

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. island

island Established Member

What time were you planning on travelling back to Luton? And can you confirm the exact amount you were charged per ticket please?

4. Ladder23

Ladder23 Member

Maybe 5, I thought to drive but being pretty central I didn’t fancy the agro,

Peak time return unfortunately?

5. island

In that case, you appear to have been sold the cheapest through fare a National Rail ticket office can sell.

Cheaper fares including an off-peak day return from Luton to Zones U12* Londn (£21.90) or a super off peak day Travelcard from Luton to London Zones 1-6 (£23.60) carry a 16:30-19:01 block on the return leg.

An off-peak day return from Luton to London Thameslink £21.50 combined with Oyster or Contactless from St. Pancras (or wherever) to Charing Cross at £2.40 each way would have come to a marginally cheaper £26.30, but ticket offices aren’t obliged to proactively offer journeys requiring multiple tickets.

6. Ladder23

Ladder23 Member

Thanks for confirming, I can vouch for people’s frustration now over prices is disgusting. Glad I don’t need rail for work!

7. some bloke

some bloke Member

8. Haywain

Haywain Established Member

It would be rather surprising if questions weren’t asked to establish which ticket was appropriate and whether a cheaper option was available.

9. island

I would expect the ticket office clerk to have asked whether the passenger needed to return during the evening peak period, and in case of a negative answer, to have asked if any further journeys in London were necessary. These could establish whether either of the two cheaper tickets I mentioned earlier might have been suitable. As the OP wanted to travel back during a time at which they were barred, the off-peak day Travelcards sold were appropriate.

10. Ladder23

Ladder23 Member

cheers for all responses guys, I tried to get some more of my moneys worth by riding along the bakerloo line for a bit! ha

11. Haywain

If it had been me selling the ticket I would have been pushing the benefits of a railcard.

12. Ladder23

Ladder23 Member

typical I was looking not so long ago! I would of really saved myself a fortune if I look back over the last few months.

13. Haywain

Buying a railcard today would have cost you an extra £10 and given you 365 days to make back the rest of the £30 cost in savings. So one more trip to London would have made it worthwhile.

14. BluePenguin

BluePenguin Member

It might be better value for you to buy a ticket to London Terminals and then use Oyster. £2.40 is not much for a zone 1 single and after a few journeys you benefit from capping. Far better value than the travelcard!

15. Batthews

Batthews New Member

1A72E379-0778-4122-B4E6-0B7F3E56A329.png I have a sort of related question. I travel sometimes between Preston and Lancaster, but when I look on the National Rail app there are different prices quoted dependent on which train I catch. However when I buy a ticket at the station, I always seem to end up paying the higher price.

16. alistairlees

alistairlees Established Member

There are three Off-Peak single fares on that route
    £8.00, valid on any train (does not matter if Northern, Avanti West Coast or TPE)
    £7.00, valid on Avanti West Coast only
    £6.30, valid on TPE only

You should be asked what train you are getting, or what flexibility you would like, and sold the correct one.

17. Batthews

Batthews New Member

They never ask - although quite often there is a woman standing there with a card machine (think she works for Virgin) and maybe therein lies the problem.

18. Joe Paxton

Joe Paxton Established Member

Cheaper still, the above ticket to Blackfriars and then a short walk of just over a mile.

19. Bungle965

Bungle965 Established Member

They should ask which service you are travelling on, as for the person standing there with a card machine, if it's what I'm thinking of then it will be a floorwalker who has an Avocet and is able to sell tickets mobile. It's irrelevant whether she works for Avanti or not.
    Sam