• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Missed a bus as due to poor information

Status
Not open for further replies.

marshmallow

Yesterday I arrived at my local Bus Station before my bus was due, my bus arrived and the driver got off and closed the doors for a change of driver so I stood by the bus and waited. Shortly afterwards, another driver arrived and got on, then some passengers got off and the driver got off, and I assumed that he would be back soon to drive the bus, so I continued to stand next to it. After several minutes of waiting, I went to sit on the bench as the driver was taking so long, and at this point I noticed that the bus now said that it was not in service. I then noticed another bus next to it departing for my destination (and I could not board as it was leaving), so I went into the enquiries office where the driver was from the original bus, and asked the driver what was going on. I was advised that he had told all the passengers on the bus to get off and board the bus next to it [when the passengers were getting off, I had assumed that the reason was that they had been unable to at first as the first driver had closed the doors, not because they were moving to another bus!]. The thing that annoyed me most was that the driver did not apologise and did not seem to care.

The driver had never told me that I should get on the bus next to it, and it was for this reason that I missed the next bus. As such, do I have reasonable grounds to complain to the bus company? I have made a note of the number plate of the bus to support a claim. I feel that this is similar to if they changed the platform of a train at a train station but did not make an announcement.

I know it sounds silly that I didn't notice that everyone got off the bus and changed to one next to it for the same destination, however I was not watching where they were going and had no idea that the bus was going out of service!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jon0844

Veteran Member
Sadly many bus drivers aren't really bothered about passengers and just drive them. That has meant over the years many buses missed because drivers run early, forget to display a number (sometimes driving around with 'out of service' on the front, or nothing) and even skipping parts of the route when it's their last run.

Technology has helped eradicate a lot of those problems, but in your case it's a time where you are probably best asking drivers even if they sometimes get upset at being asked dumb questions. I think I've realised there's no such thing as a dumb question when it comes to bus travel. Unlike a train, there are many situations where information presented to you is going to be wrong!

marshmallow

in your case it's a time where you are probably best asking drivers even if they sometimes get upset at being asked dumb questions

I think that this is good advice, however unfortunately in my case I had no reason to believe that the bus which I was standing by would not be my bus, if I had then I would have seen the other bus anyway! I felt that in this situation, when the driver got off the bus he should have made a clear announcement that anyone waiting for this bus, should now board the one next to it!

If the driver had been apologetic when I spoke to him then I would have let this go, however the fact that he clearly didn't care when he knew that it was his fault that I had missed the bus seemed unacceptable.

For this reason, I much prefer trains as they have proper conditions, although having said that as I posted recently, a South Western Railway service recently departed over 2 minutes before its scheduled time [when there are actually signs up at the station saying train doors may close up to 30 seconds before departure] meaning that I missed it, and when I spoke to station staff about it they were surprised but just advised me when the next train would be departing, without even apologising!

Status
Not open for further replies.