• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Missed Connection due to COVID-19 measures at station

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Didn't they intend to implement a one way system like that at KX from day one? It was going to be in via the bridge only and out via the platform ends only, wasn't it?

They did want a one way system at Kings Cross but what they've implemented is far worse than what they wanted.

Exit only from the platforms into Kings Cross Square, fair enough. Sadly the Underground entrance to the Underground under the front canopy is closed meaning a walk across Kings Cross Square.

As for entry to Kings Cross you have to walk around to the entrance that's opposite the St Pancras 'Eurostar doors'. The big entrance from Kings Cross Square next to the Great Northern Hotel and conveniently located for the departure barrier line is a no-no with a couple of staff ensuring you complete the walk round to the other side.

It's as if they want to make it as hard as possible to travel by train. The only positive I can think of is it's good for my daily step count.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Sadly the Underground entrance to the Underground under the front canopy is closed meaning a walk across Kings Cross Square.
I was there on Friday and am pleased to report this is now open so you can avoid getting rained on! The rest of the one-way system is still intact though; loads of staff to enforce it, so will still be a risk of missed connections.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I was there on Friday and am pleased to report this is now open so you can avoid getting rained on! The rest of the one-way system is still intact though; loads of staff to enforce it, so will still be a risk of missed connections.

I counted 12 members of staff enforcing the one way system on Friday afternoon. That will cost around a £1 million per year.

A waste of money or a job creation scheme?

greyman42

Established Member
I counted 12 members of staff enforcing the one way system on Friday afternoon. That will cost around a £1 million per year.

A waste of money or a job creation scheme?
I was at Kings Cross underground two days ago at 1400. Both entrances were open and there was no staff enforcing a one way system. There were not many passengers to use it if it they had been enforcing it.

On Moderation
If passengers are changing trains at Birmingham New Street, they should use the B-end exit of the platform to the 'Red Lounge' to access all platforms without needing to go through any gatelines.
Which is just an epically bad piece of design. How is Joe Normal meant to know that? Worse, it may well be the opposite end of the platform, against the passenger flow. Just one of the many reasons why New Street is such a hateful station.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I was at Kings Cross underground two days ago at 1400. Both entrances were open and there was no staff enforcing a one way system. There were not many passengers to use it if it they had been enforcing it.

I'm on about the mainline station, not the Underground that seems to be business as usual other than a few entries and exits being closed (although more have re-opened recently).

Earlier this evening I was at King's Cross station. I went to the gents and needed to get to platform 8 as that's where my train was departing from. The most direct route is to go through the suburban platform barriers, walk down platform 9 and use the cut through half way down to access P8. The jobsworth manning the suburban gateline refused to let me through saying I had to walk all the way round. That just increases the risk as I then had to walk much further through the busy concourse.

We don't have this nonsense across the road at St Pancras, or at Euston or Waterloo. What is it about King's Cross that means it needs such a huge one-way system? Am I missing something?

greyman42

Established Member
I use Kings Cross mainline on a regular basis and was not even aware that a one way system existed. Does it only operate in the peaks?

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I use Kings Cross mainline on a regular basis and was not even aware that a one way system existed. Does it only operate in the peaks?

Operates at all times, be suprised if you haven't witnessed it.

Entry only through the doors on Pancras Road, the ones opposite St Pancras Eurostar entrance
No entry to the concourse from the doors leading onto Kings Cross Square
Exit only through the other doors
No entry to the platforms from the Mezzanine level

Enforced by around a dozen security guards at any one time....

Status
Not open for further replies.