• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Missing a connections on Advance ticket - do you have to take the same route?

Status
Not open for further replies.

125slamdoors

Hi all,
I will be traveling from Edinburgh to Ipswich next week on an Advance ticket - changing at York and Peterborough. I've got a short connection on York and my Edinburgh to York train is the Highland Chieftain so it's often late.
If I miss my connection in York, what routes can I take between York and Ipswich? Do you have to take the same route as your booked on? Can I go via London?
Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

woody505

Ask the guard last time I made a simirlar trip I missed the connection at Peterborough and that train only runs every two hours guard wrote on back of ticket to allow travel across London and travel back up from Liverpool street

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Hi all,
I will be traveling from Edinburgh to Ipswich next week on an Advance ticket - changing at York and Peterborough. I've got a short connection on York and my Edinburgh to York train is the Highland Chieftain so it's often late.
If I miss my connection in York, what routes can I take between York and Ipswich? Do you have to take the same route as your booked on? Can I go via London?
Thanks.
You can go via any route that is permitted by the route of your Advance ticket. If you're booked via that route on a through then I think it's same to take it that it's a route "Peterboro & LNER" ticket, although it's possible that you could have an "LNER & Connections" ticket. Either way, the former is intended for travel avoiding London, and won't work the Tube barriers due to the lack of a Maltese Cross, but in the circumstances I believe you would indeed be entitled to take any permitted route complying with the route restriction. Provided you travel via Peterborough and use LNER then there is nothing to prevent you from going via London.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
If the connection looks like it may be missed, ask the Guard if you should stay on to London or if you should take the next available York to Peterborough train.

Status
Not open for further replies.