• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Missing but wished-for features on trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

AY1975

Established Member
Following on from the thread on unnecessary features on rolling stock that are bad or inconvenient for passengers at www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=154750, can you name anything that no trains or very few trains in the UK have, that you think they should have?

This can include things that trains used to have but don't have anymore (see also things you saw on BR that you don't see today at www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=151953), and things that some trains in other countries have that UK trains should also have.

Here's one to start you off: curtains or blinds in both First and Standard Class. They were almost universal on long-distance trains until the Mark 3 coaches entered service in the 1970s, and still are in most countries in mainland Europe. AFAIK currently Voyagers and Pendolinos (and Eurostars, and obviously the Great Western and Caledonian Sleepers) are the only UK trains to have blinds in both classes.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Agent_Squash

Established Member
No diesel noise when operating under the wires. Oh wait, haven’t we already done that?

ooo

Following on from the thread on unnecessary features on rolling stock that are bad or inconvenient for passengers at www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=154750, can you name anything that no trains or very few trains in the UK have, that you think they should have?

This can include things that trains used to have but don't have anymore (see also things you saw on BR that you don't see today at www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=151953), and things that some trains in other countries have that UK trains should also have.

Here's one to start you off: curtains or blinds in both First and Standard Class. They were almost universal on long-distance trains until the Mark 3 coaches entered service in the 1970s, and still are in most countries in mainland Europe. AFAIK currently Voyagers and Pendolinos (and Eurostars, and obviously the Great Western and Caledonian Sleepers) are the only UK trains to have blinds in both classes.

Personally I'm not to keen on blinds having had disputes with people over whether they should be up and down.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
Blinds are fine on a personal window, but not ideal for shared windows. Partially tinted windows like on the Voyagers keep out a lot of sun glare.

I would like to see more under-seat plugs on trains, so both passengers get a plug, rather than just the window seat. It is as important to modern life as wifi and oxygen.

ooo

Agree, I’d rather curtains.
I agree. I might be wrong but don't both ICEs and ICs in Germany have them? Curtains also solve the problem with blinds of them covering multiple seats.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Mordac

Established Member
PIS screen showing current speed and location like they have on ICE3s. Even that's pretty minor. As long as I've got free WiFi I'm pretty happy to be honest!

xotGD

Established Member
Seats that line up with the windows.

Somehow it was possible to achieve this on Mark 1 stock but not today.

Oh, and opening droplights for flailing purposes on all hauled stock .

ChilternTurbo

The Chiltern Mk.3 silver stock has curtains throughout which I think is a nice feature and is less likely to cause the aforementioned problems you get with blinds.

class387

Established Member
Seats that line up with the windows.

Somehow it was possible to achieve this on Mark 1 stock but not today.

Oh, and opening droplights for flailing purposes on all hauled stock .
I really hope that second one is sarcastic.

ChilternTurbo

I really liked the first class compartments you used to get on Southern Regions EMUs with my favourite being the well appointed Class 442s. It's a shame that feature was lost with the Gatwick Express refurbishment.
I appreciate that there were security concerns with compartment stock but it was quite nice if you were travelling with friends to have your own little lounge!

Nymanic

Seat recline in standard on longer-distance stock. Very much the norm on the continent, yet considered a luxury too far for us proles.

A slight change in seat angle, even if at the expense of pitch, might just make those ubiquitous Fainsa seats slightly more bearable...

ComUtoR

Established Member
CSDE (correct side door enable) works everywhere, not just specific locations.
ASDO (Automatic Selective door operation) Again, a system that actually works as intended and works everywhere.

route:oxford

Established Member
Blinds are fine on a personal window, but not ideal for shared windows. Partially tinted windows like on the Voyagers keep out a lot of sun glare.

I would like to see more under-seat plugs on trains, so both passengers get a plug, rather than just the window seat. It is as important to modern life as wifi and oxygen.

Why under seat?

The images for the class 230 seat configuration have them at shoulder height.

Never scrabble at floor level again.
Mitigates risk of perverts - "oh sorry, was that your leg"
Lessens chance of leaving cables.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
I really liked the first class compartments you used to get on Southern Regions EMUs with my favourite being the well appointed Class 442s. It's a shame that feature was lost with the Gatwick Express refurbishment.
I appreciate that there were security concerns with compartment stock but it was quite nice if you were travelling with friends to have your own little lounge!

Yes I have to agree, and the 1st class compartments on mk2 Intercity stock were excellent also, I thought the security concerns were more to do with the non-corridor compartments as used to be found on i.e. southern region commuter EMUs?

Clansman

Established Member
It would be nice to have foldable tables like we see on the Eurostar and abroad.

Aligned seats with windows and maximised seat bases aren't the hardest to get right either.

gg1

Established Member
Seat recline in standard on longer-distance stock. Very much the norm on the continent, yet considered a luxury too far for us proles.

Definitely not, I find most standard class seats too cramped as they are without the available legroom being impinged upon by reclining seats.

bramling

Veteran Member

A vote for compartments from me.

physics34

Established Member
As mentioned on a thread i started about annoying announcements/chimes/alarms we somehow need a passengers association/lobby group to challenge the DfT and the companies to make sure they provide comfortable rolling stock. There is no doubt that apart from air con and the odd plug socket train travel is less comfortable than it was in the 60s. I cant really do anything as im an employee, but i feel really strongly on the subject!

Clansman

Established Member
Wall mounted information screens really should be implemented across the country on all trains where possible.

tsr

Established Member
Cab air con limited to only be able to output air at temperatures which humans can actually survive (ie. not left on heating mode in the summer).

Large, plentiful saloon hopper windows able to be unlocked remotely by crew on full-and-standing trains with failed air con.

Internal saloon<->cab doors which do not open into people's knees or elbows.

Gangway doors which you actually can "slide to open" if they decide to go horribly wrong (would help traincrew to get them opened, as well as passengers).

Charging mounts in lockers for revenue equipment, now it's all so fancy.

External PA speakers. More informative than a whistle and a bloke (or lady) shouting at people.

More litter bins, perhaps with a weight sensor which will then give a small credit back to a smartcard, to encourage people to bin their litter.

Floor coverings which do not show so much dirt. *Cough* Electrostar vinyl *Cough*.

mrcheek

Established Member
Toilets.

It is ludicrous that there are trains running that dont have this most basic facility

Status
Not open for further replies.