• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Mistakenly bought wrong student railcard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fraz68

We bought 16-25 railcard not realising can’t get discount on ticket before 10am. My son is 16 and needs to travel at 8am. We have had to buy a second railcard 16-17 saver to get discount.

Would like to know if can get a refund on our mistake as £30 is a lot of money.

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Haywain

Veteran Member
You can get a discount before 10am, but there is a £12 minimum fare. Railcards are not refundable though, I'm afraid.

SeanG

I believe that the lack of minimum fare before 10am in July & August is down to the fact that users wouldn't be using it to commute to school/collage/university

mangyiscute

Established Member
The 16-17 saver also saves 50% compared to just 33% on the 16-25, so definitely get that

Fraz68

Really.

I believe that the lack of minimum fare before 10am in July & August is down to the fact that users wouldn't be using it to commute to school/collage/university
I get that but not made clear when purchasing.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Scroll down the page you've shown above, and under 'Eligibility and terms of use' you'll find the information about the minimum fare.

Vexed

The 16-17 can also be applied to get half price season tickets, so if your son is going to school on the train it might be worth looking at getting custom length seasons for each half term and comparing that with the price of returns. For example, a 1 month and 17 day season ticket from Monday 4 Sept to Friday 20 Oct.

Class800

Established Member
You can get a discount before 10am, but there is a £12 minimum fare. Railcards are not refundable though, I'm afraid.
Not true - I got one refunded when accidentally bought two railcards, just had to contact them and send one back

Haywain

Veteran Member
Not true - I got one refunded when accidentally bought two railcards, just had to contact them and send one back
The fact that you got money back does not alter the fact that they are not refundable. You got a goodwill gesture. There is no automatic right to have a refund.

Joe Paxton

Established Member
Is there a benefit to a 16-17 year old buying a 16-25 card?

There wouldn't be any point in the 16-17 Saver existing alongside the 16-25 Railcard if there wasn't any extra benefit to it.

Having two railcards with very similar names (both starting "16-...") is inevitably going to cause a degree of confusion.

skyhigh

Established Member
We bought 16-25 railcard not realising can’t get discount on ticket before 10am. My son is 16 and needs to travel at 8am. We have had to buy a second railcard 16-17 saver to get discount.
When did you buy the 16-25 railcard? If you almost immediately purchased a 16-17 to use instead and it's not been long since you bought the 16-25 they may be willing to consider a goodwill gesture.

But if the 16-25 has been used for travel in July and August and it's only been realised that it doesn't offer what you're looking for now that it's September you are likely to be out of luck. When you purchase the railcard you agree that you have read and accepted the T&Cs of the product and it's not exactly hidden that a minimum fare applies most of the year.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
There wouldn't be any point in the 16-17 Saver existing alongside the 16-25 Railcard if there wasn't any extra benefit to it.
Other than the 16-25 Railcard is a long standing rail product whereas the 16-17 Saver was introduced by the government recently to be seen as though they care about travel costs. Detail is not the forte of this government and they really couldn't care about the implications of their actions.

Alex365Dash

Other than the ones previously listed, a 16-25 Railcard allows for the National Railcards discount entitlement to be added to an Oyster card whereas the 16-17 Saver doesn’t - although if you’re buying it for that you’re better off still using a 16+ Zip Oyster card!

trei2k

... You can use a 16-25 Railcard in Scotland, but you can't use a 16-17 saver in Scotland.

I honestly think the Railcard situation is becoming a bit messy in the UK. I have sympathy with the OP for selecting the wrong one as they are similarly named.

scrapy

Established Member
... You can use a 16-25 Railcard in Scotland, but you can't use a 16-17 saver in Scotland.
Not actually true, you can use the 16-17 saver in Scotland but not on ScotRail or Caledonian Sleeper.

pdq

I believe it's also the case (please correct me if not) that the 16/17 card has no validity after the 18th birthday whereas the 16/25 can be bought before the 26th birthday and used for a year. An example of unfairness for children born early in the academic year, but that may be for another thread!

Joe Paxton

Established Member
I believe it's also the case (please correct me if not) that the 16/17 card has no validity after the 18th birthday whereas the 16/25 can be bought before the 26th birthday and used for a year. An example of unfairness for children born early in the academic year, but that may be for another thread!

That's right.

From the 16-17 Saver website:
The 16-17 Saver is valid for one year or until your 18th birthday, whichever comes first and is not available to purchase at stations

Of course - re the unfairness - 18 year olds can legally purchase booze, so swings & roundabouts.

Haywain

Veteran Member
There is some validity after the 18th birthday, as a season ticket purchased before the expiry date can continue to run for up to 4 months after, with the expired railcard still being the discount authority.

Status
Not open for further replies.