• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

MK Electric Bus trial at an end

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
It seems the trial of induction-charged electric buses on the 7 in MK has come to an end, with a hotch potch of diesel vehicles now appearing on the route (including a decker, which is very rare for MK).

Does anyone know what the outcome of the trial was, i.e. will more routes be rolled out or will another approach be taken, or just revert to diesel?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cnjb8

Established Member
It seems the trial of induction-charged electric buses on the 7 in MK has come to an end, with a hotch potch of diesel vehicles now appearing on the route (including a decker, which is very rare for MK).

Does anyone know what the outcome of the trial was, i.e. will more routes be rolled out or will another approach be taken, or just revert to diesel?
There replacements are due from Arriva in Cannock.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The ex-Cannock Streetlites should have been there for a couple of weeks now.

Yep, I believe they have arrived, still carrying TfWM / "n-Bus" validity stickers. But Arriva MK has the same sort of "random bus generator" as Northern has the "random unit generator", so anything can show up anywhere. There's a bit of route branding but they don't stay on routes so they more advertise routes than stay on them.

Does anyone know any more about the outcome of the trial or where the electric buses are now?

eMeS

During the trial it was quite frequent to see a diesel replacement bus on the route. As for where are they now, my guess is that they are either being examined by experts in battery technology to see if there's any life in the batteries, or are being taken apart to salvage other equipment. I think Civil Engineers Arup were involved in the trial.
Here's a link:-
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1877705815021104

Status
Not open for further replies.