• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Mk4 or more 197s for TfW

Topological

More Stadlers would make sense if you were looking for fleet homogeneity - more cascade opportunity, potential for progressive conversion to OHLE/battery as electrification progresses (better journey times + potentially unit utilisation).

Rescue capability is a case of standardising couplers which *should* be possible.

197s may be decent for now, but are they really suitable for growth?
Why do you think 197s are not suitable for growth? They have gangways and are planned to run as 5-car, which is much more than we ever had with 175s.

Yes Stadlers could be given couplers that work with 197s, but again why not just more 197s?

As others have said the only electric sections are Newport to Cardiff and Crewe to Manchester. The Marches is not high on the electrification list.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Krokodil

Established Member
The 197s are perfectly OK for the journeys most people make...
Just so long as the toilet (only plural if you're lucky) works, the air-conditioning works, the engines work, you've got one with more than two carriages... I can rant for half an hour without hesitation, deviation or repitition on the subject of the shortcomings of 197s, they are many and varied - everything from the useless catering cupboard to the position of the bins.

Last Saturday CAF Chester were short of five units for the morning service, resulting in cancellations and short-forms. Sunday was an utter nightmare, with trains that bore resemblance to the Black Hole of Calcutta (both in terms of how many people were wedged into them and the tempuratures they experienced).

If new units must be ordered (they won't, the WG can't afford them) then at least can they be Stadler units? 755/4s would be great on the North Wales Coast...

Topological

Just so long as the toilet (only plural if you're lucky) works, the air-conditioning works, the engines work, you've got one with more than two carriages... I can rant for half an hour without hesitation, deviation or repitition on the subject of the shortcomings of 197s, they are many and varied - everything from the useless catering cupboard to the position of the bins.

Last Saturday CAF Chester were short of five units for the morning service, resulting in cancellations and short-forms. Sunday was an utter nightmare, with trains that bore resemblance to the Black Hole of Calcutta (both in terms of how many people were wedged into them and the tempuratures they experienced).

If new units must be ordered (they won't, the WG can't afford them) then at least can they be Stadler units? 755/4s would be great on the North Wales Coast...
I agree about the toilets, but that is just about ordering more toilets and making sure that the longer distance trains are indeed run with the planned units.

Mk4s have more toliets, but again that is when they run. When the Mk4 fails and the 197 gets stolen to cover then we have shortages of 197s elsewhere (and of course 153 x2 only has 1 toilet).

How many toilets do Stadler 755/4s have compared to a 4-car 197?

Krokodil

Established Member
I agree about the toilets, but that is just about ordering more toilets
More of a reliability issue than anything. Do you want to comment on the aircon issues? At least if when the aircon on a 158 packs in the guard can open the hopper windows whereas the 197s become a sweat box.

(and of course 153 x2 only has 1 toilet).
I can't remember having a toilet fault with a 153. How many toilets work is more important than how many toilets you have on paper.

How many toilets do Stadler 755/4s have compared to a 4-car 197?
A 755 (of any formation) has two toilets. Perhaps someone from Anglia would like to comment upon the reliability of them.

A 2+2 197 has two toilets, with a high probability that at least one of them will be knackered.

Of course a hypothetical purpose-built 4 car 197 would have three toilets and an extra thirty-odd seats compared with a 2+2, but whoever ordered the fleet thought that stringing together lots of small units (on the odd occasion that enough units would be fit for service to do it) would be better than ordering proper length trains.

Topological

More of a reliability issue than anything. Do you want to comment on the aircon issues? At least if when the aircon on a 158 packs in the guard can open the hopper windows whereas the 197s become a sweat box.

I can't remember having a toilet fault with a 153. How many toilets work is more important than how many toilets you have on paper.

A 755 (of any formation) has two toilets. Perhaps someone from Anglia would like to comment upon the reliability of them.

A 2+2 197 has two toilets, with a high probability that at least one of them will be knackered.

Of course a hypothetical purpose-built 4 car 197 would have three toilets and an extra thirty-odd seats compared with a 2+2, but whoever ordered the fleet thought that stringing together lots of small units (on the odd occasion that enough units would be fit for service to do it) would be better than ordering proper length trains.
The AC issue is problematic, but is not something I have personally experienced. Hopefully, that is fixable because clearly it is no good having trains that overheat.

I can think of one case involving 153s when I have been traveling and 1 with a 197, I have ended up on more 153s (just) owing to the disaster that was the 175 maintenance.

I have some sympathy for the 2+2 instead of 4 option with 197s since at least one can run when the other has been stolen to a different duty (and at the moment, where the other is experiencing teething issues)

Krokodil

Established Member
I have some sympathy for the 2+2 instead of 4 option with 197s since at least one can run when the other has been stolen to a different duty
That's the thing. You can't short-form a fixed-formation unit. Therefore you have to order a larger fleet to avoid cancellations. 2+2 is the cheap way as you can get away with fewer vehicles on the basis that short-forms don't appear in the cancellation statistics (and if the train is timetabled as 2 coaches in the first place, it doesnt' even go into the short-form stats and no one cares that passengers get left behind), but then the people making the decisions aren't the ones facing the wrath of the passengers who can't physically get on the train (having not been able to board the train before it either, nor the one before that).

(and at the moment, where the other is experiencing teething issues)
Haven't the 197s been around a bit long to still be having teething issues?

God I miss the Mk3s. They could absorb a crowd like those kitchen rolls absorbed spills in adverts, and I never had an issue with doors or toilets.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

Of course they are. A mix of two and three-car gangwayed DMUs allow you to form any length of train of 2-car and above - Chiltern make very good use of their mixed DMU fleet to match capacity to demand, even rejigging it when there's an event on at Wembley.

Krokodil

Established Member
Of course they are. A mix of two and three-car gangwayed DMUs allow you to form any length of train of 2-car and above
Each unit supplied with its own megabog, catering cupboard, two cabs...

As I said earlier, that's 30 seats and a toilet lost on a 2+2 vs a straight four car unit. It's not like a 2 car unit can do much when running around on its own, "full and standing" is normal rather than something reserved for special events and the commuting peak.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Each unit supplied with its own megabog, catering cupboard, two cabs...

The catering cupboard is a ridiculous idea. I bet at mid life refurb they will be converted back to approx 6 seats. All they needed was a trolley dock with a power socket somewhere where seats wouldn't be particularly useful, e.g. down the side of the bog or maybe in the wheelchair area where it could be plugged in to charge as long as no wheelchair user boarded.

As I said earlier, that's 30 seats and a toilet lost on a 2+2 vs a straight four car unit. It's not like a 2 car unit can do much when running around on its own, "full and standing" is normal rather than something reserved for special events and the commuting peak.

The intention is that 2-car units won't, once they've all been delivered, be running on their own, aside from the Borderlands, Conwy Valley and Pwllheli/Aberystwyth where outside of Easter weekend, May bank holidays and July/August that's more than enough - and the wide doors will make them far better at dealing with a crush than 158s.

AlastairFraser

Established Member
Why do you think 197s are not suitable for growth? They have gangways and are planned to run as 5-car, which is much more than we ever had with 175s.

Yes Stadlers could be given couplers that work with 197s, but again why not just more 197s?

As others have said the only electric sections are Newport to Cardiff and Crewe to Manchester. The Marches is not high on the electrification list.
Why not more 197s? If you want to simply add capacity on the long distance routes, a fleet of high end coaches (integrated into the rail ticketing system) acting as relief services for the actual services and stopping only at major stations would be cheaper, arguably similar quality and faster to deliver.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Why not more 197s? If you want to simply add capacity on the long distance routes, a fleet of high end coaches (integrated into the rail ticketing system) acting as relief services for the actual services and stopping only at major stations would be cheaper, arguably similar quality and faster to deliver.

Road coaches have a role in Wales to fill gaps in the rail system, but using them for that is bluntly a terrible idea.

If more capacity is needed, more 197s while the production line is still open is the best idea. I'd already get an order in for 3 more 2-cars so the 230s can go in the bin where they belong.

AlastairFraser

Established Member
Road coaches have a role in Wales to fill gaps in the rail system, but using them for that is bluntly a terrible idea.

If more capacity is needed, more 197s while the production line is still open is the best idea. I'd already get an order in for 3 more 2-cars so the 230s can go in the bin where they belong.
Why is it so terrible?

Caaardiff

More Stadlers would make sense if you were looking for fleet homogeneity - more cascade opportunity, potential for progressive conversion to OHLE/battery as electrification progresses (better journey times + potentially unit utilisation).

Rescue capability is a case of standardising couplers which *should* be possible.

Where would you send the Stadlers to replace 197s? The answer is nowhere unless you start spreading them around the country where the only place they would be of any use where the 4 car capacity would be of any use is Chester - Liverpool and Chester - Crewe and even then its stretching it. The fuel range on the 231's is awful.

There's nothing wrong with the 197's. More 3 cars would be better currently but when the whole fleet is in there will be a lot more capacity on the majority of routes. The Cambrian is where the 3 cars are needed but that's a separate topic.
The flexibility created by having 2 and 3 car units is perfect for what TFW needs. 5-6 car trains on the trunk routes with the ability to split off and go separate ways on the quieter ends of the network. A 5 or 6 car formation is still more capacity than a 5 car mk4.

What would have been better for flexibility and consistency across the network is having other different configurations of 197s.
2 car - All standard, without the silly storage cupboard
3 car - All standard
3 car - Standard & Premium with the storage cupboard replaced by a decent sized kiosk where reasonable hot food can be made (Airline style but more presentable) rather than the full kitchen service.
That would be my compromise to losing the on board service and kitchen of the Mk4. Those 3 cars with Premium would always be run with another 2 or 3 car, so would be minimum 5 car with Premium and a decent on board service.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Why is it so terrible?

Because rail is for high-volume trunking and bus is for connecting non-rail-served places to rail. With a typical seating capacity of about 50, coaches are not a good way of carrying high volumes. For instance the entire London-Manchester coach service for a day would fit in a couple of Pendolinos.

Krokodil

Established Member
The intention is that 2-car units won't, once they've all been delivered, be running on their own, aside from...
Things may have changed since the plans were circulated, but it was certainly the intention that the Chester-Llandudno leg of the Liverpool service would be formed of two coaches, as would the Shrewsbury-Holyhead leg of the Birmingham-Holyhead service.

Not that the 3 car units intended for use on the Bangor-Manchester services will be in any way adequate. They have fewer seats than the 3 car 175s they replaced - which themselves struggled to cope with loadings.

The catering cupboard is a ridiculous idea. I bet at mid life refurb they will be converted back to approx 6 seats.
Even better, you could convert them to luggage or pram storage. 197s have half of the luggage capacity that 175s had, and they couldn't cope with the holiday or airport flows they worked.

Believe it or not, I actually miss working pairs of 153s. They were noisy and smelt a bit funny, but there was plenty of room for luggage and prams. Likewise 150s were unfairly maligned (and they were used on some rather unsuitable flows). If you're going to short-form me in high summer, I'd rather be working a 150 than anything else.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
197s have half of the luggage capacity that 175s had

I respectfully disagree. The overheads of 175s are tiny, you can barely fit a day sack up there, it's more of a coat rack. By contrast the overheads of CAF units are massive, my 100 litre rucksack fits, easily, as does my large trolley case. Not everyone is willing or able to lift (or have) 20kg over their head, of course, but there's absolutely room for a hand luggage sized trolley up there for pretty much everyone on board, and then there are the stacks on top of that as well as between some seat backs and under the seat in front for smaller bags.

If there's a big problem with luggage on 197s then it's just because people are too bone idle to put a bag up that will fit easily.

Things may have changed since the plans were circulated, but it was certainly the intention that the Chester-Llandudno leg of the Liverpool service would be formed of two coaches, as would the Shrewsbury-Holyhead leg of the Birmingham-Holyhead service.

Weren't those intended to couple up to other services and thus not run along the coast as a two? If not, then that is mad.

Not that the 3 car units intended for use on the Bangor-Manchester services will be in any way adequate. They have fewer seats than the 3 car 175s they replaced - which themselves struggled to cope with loadings.

Remember though that there's actually a reasonable increase in overall capacity there as you have three services along the coast, not two.

Last edited:

Topological

So now you want buses rather than just ordering more 197s. Earlier you were going on about modal shift and now you want to use buses instead of the 197, buses that run on the same roads that you want cars to come off of.

Has someone at CAF done something to upset you?

We are talking, rightly or wrongly, about a set of lines where CAF 197s provide the majority of services. Standardising to the 197 is therefore the absolutely logical thing to do.

Krokodil

Established Member
This just isn't true. The overheads of 175s are tiny, you can barely fit a day sack up there, it's more of a coat rack. By contrast the overheads of CAF units are massive, my 100 litre rucksack fits, easily, as does my large trolley case. Not everyone is willing or able to lift (or have) 20kg over their head, of course, but there's absolutely room for a hand luggage sized trolley up there for pretty much everyone on board, and then there are the stacks on top of that as well as between some seat backs and under the seat in front for smaller bags.

If there's a big problem with luggage on 197s then it's just because people are too bone idle to put a bag up that will fit easily.
Have you seen the sort of luggage that people bring to Rhyl in the summer? IATA carry-on bags are not to be seen. It's 120L suitcases with the odd bin bag thrown in. Plus the prams which appear to have gone the same way cars have gone (out with the sensible compact and in with the SUV) - and when you ask them to fold the things down "you're just a f***ing f****t" (that took months to get to court and she got fined £200).

The Mk3 coaches were absolutely ideal for this work. Not only could you squeeze 500 people in during disruption (a memorable experience) but they had no issue mopping up 250 holiday makers - everyone seated comfortably with their family, luggage stowed properly, and no need for arguments about prams.

Weren't those intended to couple up to other services and thus not run along the coast as a two? If not, then that is mad.
The theory was that they would run as a pair between Liverpool and Chester, then splitting for Llandudno and Cardiff. The Birminghams would run as a pair between Birmingham and Shrewsbury before splitting with the second set presumably attaching straight to a portion going back to Brum. You can presumably see why we traincrew think that this is idiotic.

Remember though that there's actually a reasonable increase in overall capacity there as you have three services along the coast, not two.
Around a 50% increase. Just enough to mop up the passengers currently left on the platform. I'm sure that I don't need to tell you what happened when Virgin XC tried "running short trains at more frequent intervals".

Last edited:

Caaardiff

If Avanti got their act together then TFW wouldn't be lumbered with their passengers a lot of the time.

Also most Manchester services will be 3-5 car soon enough, many are already with busier services being at least 4.

TFW do (or did) have this obsession with running more services with shorter formations but there's no concrete plans as to what will happen in the near future. Several plans have been put on hold due to cost savings which should free up units elsewhere.
Until those new plans are released then no-one knows.

AlastairFraser

Established Member
So now you want buses rather than just ordering more 197s. Earlier you were going on about modal shift and now you want to use buses instead of the 197, buses that run on the same roads that you want cars to come off of.

Has someone at CAF done something to upset you?

We are talking, rightly or wrongly, about a set of lines where CAF 197s provide the majority of services. Standardising to the 197 is therefore the absolutely logical thing to do.
Well, it'd be a better, more scaleable investment to use coaches (in comparison to a few 197s for the price of tens of coaches).
I quite like CAF electrics in particular - they're quite reliable ime, it's more the fact that some things just aren't suitable for the job they're used for.

Krokodil

Established Member
If Avanti got their act together then TFW wouldn't be lumbered with their passengers a lot of the time.
Very true, though on Sunday it unusually wasn't their train service that failed to turn up, but their replacement bus. The passengers for which ended up on a TfW one two hours later which didn't help the situation of the 197 that said TfW bus connected with failing due to no a/c (among an extensive list of other faults).

Well, it'd be a better, more scaleable investment to use coaches
Would you like to go out and meet some passengers? I'm sure that they'd tell you what they thought of this idea. TfW already uses road coaches for extra capacity on busy days (both timed journeys and as standby cover) because the 197 fleet cannot cope. They're very much a last resort for the public - they'll use them if they're the only things that will get them home.

AlastairFraser

Established Member
Would you like to go out and meet some passengers? I'm sure that they'd tell you what they thought of this idea. TfW already uses road coaches for extra capacity on busy days (both timed journeys and as standby cover) because the 197 fleet cannot cope. They're very much a last resort for the public - they'll use them if they're the only things that will get them home.
I wasn't saying that they were the best option if money is available to invest! I don't see the point of more substandard units.

daodao

Established Member
In my opinion, acquisition of the Mk4/class 67 trains was a mistake, but there is no quick solution to rectifying this misguided decision.

In the longer term, should there not be an aim to electrify remaining unwired lines in South Wales? I am thinking in particular of:
  • the main line from Cardiff to Swansea and the branch to Maesteg
  • the Ebbw Vale line
  • the line from Severn Tunnel Junction to Gloucester, coupled with electrification of the ex-Midland main line from Bristol Temple Meads to Derby and beyond - the section from Bromsgrove to Birmingham New Street is already partly wired.
If this is planned, the Mk4/class 67 trains could be eked out until this electrification is completed and class 197 units displaced from serving the above routes then replace these problematic trains. TfW cannot now afford the purchase/leasing of more new trains; it is currently have to cut services and shelve future aspirations.

Last edited:

Nick Ashwell

In the longer term, should there not be an aim to electrify remaining unwired lines in South Wales? I am thinking in particular of:
  • the main line from Cardiff to Swansea and the branch to Maesteg
  • the Ebbw Vale line
  • the line from Severn Tunnel Junction to Gloucester, coupled with electrification of the ex-Midland main line from Bristol Temple Meads to Derby and beyond - the section from Bromsgrove to Birmingham New Street is already partly wired.
If this is planned, the Mk4/class 67 trains could be eked out until this electrification is completed and class 197 units displaced from serving the above routes then replace these problematic trains. TfW cannot now afford the purchase/leasing of more new trains; it is currently have to cut services and shelve future aspirations.
The 197s aren't planned to operate those routes long term though, you'd be displacing 231s which could be converted to electric anyways

Topological

The 197s aren't planned to operate those routes long term though, you'd be displacing 231s which could be converted to electric anyways
Though there are planned to be a lot of 197 going between Cardiff and Swansea, the 197s are going between places beyond Swansea and, in not as large numbers, places beyond Newport that have no wires. Electrification of Cardiff to Swansea struggles really because only GWR have strong benefit.

* We could discuss changes to trains that would make better use of the electrification of Cardiff to Swansea, but that is for a different thread.

To benefit from electrification on 197 routes the routes would need to be split. That would be exactly the problem the Mk4 are already causing.

Well, it'd be a better, more scaleable investment to use coaches (in comparison to a few 197s for the price of tens of coaches).
I quite like CAF electrics in particular - they're quite reliable ime, it's more the fact that some things just aren't suitable for the job they're used for.
Sorry, you totally lost me.

Train operators should always see trains as the answer. The 197 (such as the one I am doing 3 hours on now) is a perfectly adequate unit for combinations of short journeys on the Marches. They are not offensive for long journeys, and have all the features for the people traveling between Ludlow and Shrewsbury (say).

Is the next suggestion that we all walk because that will be better for the environment than a 197, or that we take up distance cycling because that gives a better wheel to comfort ratio than the 197 offers?

AlastairFraser

Established Member
Sorry, you totally lost me.

Train operators should always see trains as the answer. The 197 (such as the one I am doing 3 hours on now) is a perfectly adequate unit for combinations of short journeys on the Marches. They are not offensive for long journeys, and have all the features for the people traveling between Ludlow and Shrewsbury (say).

Is the next suggestion that we all walk because that will be better for the environment than a 197, or that we take up distance cycling because that gives a better wheel to comfort ratio than the 197 offers?
I just don't see the point of more 197s if they give up on the Mk4/67 combo. More 175s coming back would make more sense.

Energy

Established Member
I just don't see the point of more 197s if they give up on the Mk4/67 combo. More 175s coming back would make more sense.
Going of this forum and WNXX, GWR is very likely to be getting the 175s. Given the current experience of TfW handing the units back, I suspect Angel would choose GWR over TfW keeping them.

The mk4/67s are obviously the wrong choice, but its too late to change it. They can be replaced next time TfW needs some more new stock.

Topological

You do understand that TfW crews can no longer work 175s, so that would require training.

Honestly, why would 197s not be the answer? No training needed, and fully interworkable with other units on the route.

The 175s are much nicer trains, but the ship sailed.

Bikeman78

Established Member
That's the thing. You can't short-form a fixed-formation unit. Therefore you have to order a larger fleet to avoid cancellations.
Totally agree. To those who say "oh but then the train would be cancelled instead" I say that simply means the trains are not reliable enough. I don't think there are notably more cancellations on Thameslink owing to unit faults compared with the 319s 10 years ago. I shall use my GWR example again. Never had a cancelled HST in 25 years, aside from days where the whole railway had gone into meltdown. My morning runs up to Paddington would all have come off Landore depot where there were few, if any, spare sets. Short formations with the IETs are well into double figures now.

Topological

Totally agree. To those who say "oh but then the train would be cancelled instead" I say that simply means the trains are not reliable enough. I don't think there are notably more cancellations on Thameslink owing to unit faults compared with the 319s 10 years ago. I shall use my GWR example again. Never had a cancelled HST in 25 years, aside from days where the whole railway had gone into meltdown. My morning runs up to Paddington would all have come off Landore depot where there were few, if any, spare sets. Short formations with the IETs are well into double figures now.
Due to failure, or because the IETs are being used on routes they were not ordered for. I do agree there are too many short forms on Swansea services though.