• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

MML and ECML proximity

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom73

At what point north of Elstree & Borehamwood (MML) and north of Hadley Wood (ECML) i.e. outside London do the two lines come in closest proximity to each other. Putting it another way, which MML station provides the shortest connection by mileage to an ECML station

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bramling

Veteran Member
At what point north of Elstree & Borehamwood (MML) and north of Hadley Wood (ECML) i.e. outside London do the two lines come in closest proximity to each other. Putting it another way, which MML station provides the shortest connection by mileage to an ECML station

From a convenience point of view, it will undoubtedly be Hatfield/St Albans and Hitchin/Luton or Luton Airport Parkway. Perhaps Sandy/Bedford at a push too.

talltim

Established Member
I’ve walked St A to Hatfield before. It was when I was a school in St A commuting from Harpenden, I had a dentist appointment in Hatfield but I’d spent the money my mum gave me for the bus!

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Are Leeds and Wakefield Westgate too obvious/not quite in the spirit of the question?
Not in the spirit of the question arguably. The ECML proper doesn't go via Leeds and the Midland route to Leeds didn't go via Westgate.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Leeds is definitely a branch off the ECML, the main line being to Edinburgh.

However the MML "proper", which ran to Carlisle via Swinton Town, Cudworth, Normanton, Woodlesford and Shipley, passed close to Leeds but the station itself was on a short branch so any train calling there had to reverse. As the route has been closed between Swinton and Normanton and the remaining MML London trains don't use any of the original MML route north of Swinton, it can't really be regarded as part of today's MML.

Stevec101

Not in the spirit of the question arguably. The ECML proper doesn't go via Leeds and the Midland route to Leeds didn't go via Westgate.
Exactly people are confused by it becease EMT run trains to Leeds in the morning and evening. But that's mainly for maintenance and logistics

Status
Not open for further replies.