• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

MML Disruption Between SHF & CHD 12.07.17

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tracked

Established Member
That was an interesting journey to work this morning, caught the Manchester Airport train at 6:25 as usual from Doncaster. The Leeds-Nottingham train was late due to signalling issues between Barnsley and Sheffield (my workmate was told, he'd come from Wombwell).

Nottingham train arrives approx 4 mins late into platform 6A, we get on and it then doesn't go anywhere for a few minutes. There's an announcement about a broken down train, and the station boards go to "Delayed". Looking on Traksy it appears to be service 1C17 which is pulled up 2 signals beyond Dronfield, with another train right behind .

Meanwhile the Southampton Central XCtrain pulls into platform 8, I used to catch this train but started getting the Manchester Airport train to give myself a few more options to get to Chesterfield. As it gets toward 7:20 me and a few others decide to go over to the XC train as it doesn't stop at Dronfield like the Nottingham train and should therefore get priority, in our own heads least ... (and from at least one previous experience)

It doesn't, of course, and so we watch that depart and follow on shortly afterwards.

Until just past Heeley, when we pull up at a red for about five minutes before moving again. Looking out of the window I notice we've gone on to the up line, "ah, we must be going past the blockage on the other line".

Announcement; "we're going to pull up at Dore, and the driver will go to the other end and take us on the alternative route". So we're going to get a bonus ride past Rother Valley and Barrow Hill, oooh, that'll make a change ...

After a short pause in Dore station we head back to Sheffield, where the train stops for about 5 minutes. A couple of passengers try the door, the people stood with me start making noises about Uber, the door doesn't open to the annoyance of the man who'd decided he might as well go home.

The train starts moving again, back the way it's just returned from. We go the usual route and end up in Chesterfield about 42 minutes late, an EMT HST set is parked up in platform 3 ...

During the ride the guard comes round saying what's fairly obvious; if we'd stayed at that red signal we'd have been there quicker.

Southampton train goes on to get cancelled at Birmingham ...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Raul_Duke

EMT 222 stuck outside Chesterfield with a fire alarm that wouldn't isolate. Reoccurred several times on way down, stopped again at Belper

Split the unit at DBY.

Status
Not open for further replies.