• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

MML Electrification: progress updates

IKBrunel

That the honours are still connected in name to the "British Empire" is so archaic. Association with the "British Empire" doesn't seem like an honour to me, when you consider our role in the opium wars, mau mau uprising, Ghandi era uprisings, Diego Garcia inhabitants, etc,

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
That the honours are still connected in name to the "British Empire" is so archaic. Association with the "British Empire" doesn't seem like an honour to me, when you consider our role in the opium wars, mau mau uprising, Ghandi era uprisings, Diego Garcia inhabitants, etc,

Spreading prosperity, democracy and the rule of law around the world, that sort of thing...

RichmondCommu

Established Member
And for all its faults, the British Empire was far better for the locals than the other colonial empires.

Well exactly! This is of course a railway based forum and those detractors / detractor might be interested in the British influence on overseas rail networks. Nasty British Empire!

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
And for all its faults, the British Empire was far better for the locals than the other colonial empires.

Well exactly! This is of course a railway based forum and those detractors / detractor might be interested in the British influence on overseas rail networks. Nasty British Empire!

So many older Indian guys comment to me that in the days of the British, the railways were designed and run better without corruption and backhanders etc. I think the honours system has mainly outlived its usefulness but to say the British Empire was entirely bad is just unfair - especially with regard to railways - back on topic mods!!

tsangpogorge

What's the current status of the Midland Line electrification scheme? last I heard cost overruns had put the project on indefinite hold.

richieb1971

Established Member
Since a year ago not seen any evidence of a single gantry. Before the project got delayed there was quite a bit of equipment in land designated for rail access, its all gone and never returned.

I am guessing when the northern bypass in Bedford is complete (its due to open any time now) then Bromham road bridge in Bedford will be destroyed and replaced and the first gantries will go up.

I fear though, that NR is going to be late delivering this project.

On a side note Sharnbrook viaduct is having major renovations. It has a white concrete looking siding now instead of the metal cross hatch design it had for 100 years or whatever. So work is being done along the line, its just not related directly to putting wires up.

Philip Phlopp

Established Member
Ok, I rephrase, whatever dates NR put up, it will be late.

Nope. The work that was ongoing prior to the pause was actually slightly ahead of schedule for the previous completion date. Structures clearance has been pretty fantastic too.

The new schedule includes a little more time for delays and unexpected remedial works, and of course there's the conversion of Mk3 OLE to proceed with south of Bedford, concurrent with the extension to Corby.

If you want to, think of GWep as a pre-series electrification project, MML and TransPennine will be production schemes. Lots of experience now being brought to bear on the next projects.

Last edited:

richieb1971

Established Member
Nope. The work that was ongoing prior to the pause was actually slightly ahead of schedule for the previous completion date. Structures clearance has been pretty fantastic too.

The new schedule includes a little more time for delays and unexpected remedial works, and of course there's the conversion of Mk3 OLE to proceed with south of Bedford, concurrent with the extension to Corby.

If you want to, think of GWep as a pre-series electrification project, MML and TransPennine will be production schemes. Lots of experience now being brought to bear on the next projects.

Nice your giving NR a vote of confidence. I'll take your word that things are improving. So what is the date set for the first 5 miles north of Bedford to Sharnbrook?

Domh245

Established Member
I am assuming that by the time the MML and TransPennine is wired, they will be using the common pool of components (I forget the actual name - the one where where they combine series 1 components with the components being used on the North West electrification)

Philip Phlopp

Established Member
I am assuming that by the time the MML and TransPennine is wired, they will be using the common pool of components (I forget the actual name - the one where where they combine series 1 components with the components being used on the North West electrification)

UK Master Series Index.

Don't hold your breath. It's a slightly pointless exercise, I'd standardise on Series 1 and forget everything else, but that's just me.

Oh, MML is Series 1 as it's to be cleared for 3 x pantographs at upto 110mph and 2 x pantographs at 125/140mph (not that 140mph is under consideration for MML). Don't think TP has been nailed down quite yet, but I'd think it's also likely to get Series 1 given the current aspirations for the route and various other reasons.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Forgive me. I meant when you do expect the first 5 miles to be done. Not when Corby services will resume via electrification. In other words, when do we see boots on the ground.

Sharnbrook isn't being electrified as a stand alone project. It will see ongoing works from this year through to completion in late 2018/early 2019, such as gauge/structure clearance works, signal sighting and alterations, piling, mast/portal erection, then SPS installation and wire runs.

Last edited:

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Forgive me. I meant when you do expect the first 5 miles to be done. Not when Corby services will resume via electrification. In other words, when do we see boots on the ground.

It not necessarily be done south to north, or north to south. It will be done as and when designs are done and the relevant enabling works are complete.

richieb1971

Established Member
Is there absolutely ANY work at all going on here - bridges, tunnels, parapets, anything at all to give some hope?

Still waiting on the GWR to be done.

In Bedford the northern road bypass opened a few weeks ago. The bridge north of Bedford is theoretically clear to be demolished. Once complete you could electrify to south of Wellingborough. A major A road exists near Irthlingborough and i'm not sure how they will conquer it as no diversionary route seems to be able to handle the amount of traffic it does.

As far as visual clues that work is progressing. Nothing at all. All the places where equipment can be stored is bone dry. Once its populated again (It was populated until the government pulled the project) we can expect to see some action again.

Flying Phil

Established Member
Still waiting on the GWR to be done.

In Bedford the northern road bypass opened a few weeks ago. The bridge north of Bedford is theoretically clear to be demolished. Once complete you could electrify to south of Wellingborough. A major A road exists near Irthlingborough and i'm not sure how they will conquer it as no diversionary route seems to be able to handle the amount of traffic it does.

As far as visual clues that work is progressing. Nothing at all. All the places where equipment can be stored is bone dry. Once its populated again (It was populated until the government pulled the project) we can expect to see some action again.

The major road is the A45 and it carries a lot of traffic to the A14/A6/A1/M1. It was built in the 1970's but I don't know what clearance it has over the MML.

snowball

Established Member
The major road is the A45 and it carries a lot of traffic to the A14/A6/A1/M1. It was built in the 1970's but I don't know what clearance it has over the MML.
Bridges built in the last 50 years are almost certain to have adequate clearance for electrification.

Though perhaps not necessarily including recent ideas about the importance of a near-constant wire height on high-speed lines???

richieb1971

Established Member
Irthlingborough Bridge is at 05:18 in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4DOBjLsz58

I don't think wires will go under that, especially on the slow line.

To build a new bridge over that they would probably have to build a temporary bridge to the side before demolishing and rebuilding the current one.

There is a bridge north of Bedford which is a farm road access which has walls so low you can sit on them. I don't know if wires will go underneath, but certainly walls so low you can sit on them I am sure it will be rebuilt as electric wires that close that are unobstructed breaks all sorts of regulations.

I am surprised its as it is now.

Same video shown at 08:05 (look in bottom left corner). Bridge is located near Pavenham.

dbmbridges

Is there absolutely ANY work at all going on here - bridges, tunnels, parapets, anything at all to give some hope?

Work is happening on the structures - NWR CP5 contractors are looking at these.

To build a new bridge over that they would probably have to build a temporary bridge to the side before demolishing and rebuilding the current one.

I was looking Irthlingborough Road bridge (B571) at this before the Pause - it's not one i am looking at currently. As i recall there are a number of options (due to the road alignment) but they all see the bridge being demolished. Finedon Road also gets replaced as does Bush Bridge to the North of Wellingbourgh Station. The bridge i was looking at carries the B571 (Westcoaster is correct with the google maps pin in the post below)

There is a bridge north of Bedford which is a farm road access which has walls so low you can sit on them. I don't know if wires will go underneath, but certainly walls so low you can sit on them I am sure it will be rebuilt as electric wires that close that are unobstructed breaks all sorts of regulations.

Same video shown at 08:05 (look in bottom left corner). Bridge is located near Pavenham.

I think the Farm access bridge is possibly Earwig Lane ;) -

Last edited:

westcoaster

Established Member

The bridge at 05:18 is the main A45 East west road, it is actually two bridges side by side (eastbound is a newer structure, westbound an older one). There is space to have a single westbound lane run on the eastbound bridge (if needed to knock down the eastbound bridge), a bridge at kangaroo spinney, just south of wellingborough is quite low and could do with replacing as its only a single carriageway weight restricted bridge.
https://goo.gl/maps/YksY44uW7do

Last edited:

Flying Phil

Established Member
According to our local paper (Harborough Mail) "Another £1.8m has been poured into the Market Harborough railway station project".
The money has been awarded to EMT by the Dept for Transport to provide extra parking spaces and is part of the £46m fund to redesign the station site.
Work on the six month project is due to start around Sept 2017.

Flying Phil

Established Member
Re the GCR Bridge over the MML

From this month's issue of "Steam Railway"
Managing Director Bill Ford has confirmed
"The end of year target has been agreed with the contractors who will build the embankments and bridge, with a handover date of December 29th.
With all the necessary funds (just over £1.8 million) in place, work is planned to commence in August.
The bridge across the four-track MML will be installed during an engineering possession over the festive period."

Flying Phil

Established Member
Re the GCR Bridge over the MML
In the latest issue of "Mainline", the preferred contractor has been selected MPB of Corby. "It is currently envisaged that work will start on building the abutments in late Summer"
Further South on the MML

The bridge over Rockingham Road at the South end of Harborough Station it was closed to road traffic for a couple of hours last Sunday and will be again this Sunday - could be "Something" is happening???

snowball

Established Member
I suppose this thread is the right place for Kettering-Corby redoubling.

Press release

http://www.networkrailmediacentre.c...o-upgrade-kettering-corby-rail-route-unveiled

Network Rail and East Midlands Trains are inviting passengers and residents to find out more about the next phase of work to build a second track on the Kettering to Corby route.

Network Rail is investing over £100m installing additional track and signalling as part of its Railway Upgrade Plan for the Midland Main Line which will improve the reliability of existing services as well as allowing more trains to run in the future.

From 10 September to 24 October 2016 the line between Kettering and Corby will be closed to allow essential strengthening and upgrade work on key bridges and viaducts along the route. Replacement bus services will run instead of trains.