• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

MML Electrification: progress updates

CdBrux

How advanced is electrification planning north of Market Harborough (I think some bridges have been raised?) and how much of that electrification would be able to be used by other services. Given that, apart from using less diesel, other possible schemes around the country, could better fit the intensive use and / or fast and it has been said there is very little passenger benefit from MML electrification such as speed increase, is continuing MML electrification more a stop gap to keep the electrification teams going before a more beneficial project is ready? (I do realise this question is not popular among the enthusiasts here!)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ohgoditsjames

How advanced is electrification planning north of Market Harborough (I think some bridges have been raised?) and how much of that electrification would be able to be used by other services. Given that, apart from using less diesel, other possible schemes around the country, could better fit the intensive use and / or fast and it has been said there is very little passenger benefit from MML electrification such as speed increase, is continuing MML electrification more a stop gap to keep the electrification teams going before a more beneficial project is ready? (I do realise this question is not popular among the enthusiasts here!)

Electrifying up to Sheffield would allow electrification to continue to Doncaster and Leeds which would remove many diesel services. It’s a win win.

CdBrux

Electrifying up to Sheffield would allow electrification to continue to Doncaster and Leeds which would remove many diesel services. It’s a win win.

but that is not my question. The question is would this electrification scheme still have priority over others if enough others were 'shovel ready'? Especially given the benefit here is apparently just reduction of diesel consumption for 4 tph?

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
but that is not my question. The question is would this electrification scheme still have priority over others if enough others were 'shovel ready'? Especially given the benefit here is apparently just reduction of diesel consumption for 4 tph?
Politically yes. Carbon wise and shovel ready I am not sure about. I could give opinions but that would be OT.

Kettledrum

electrification between Derby and Sheffield might also enable some XC services to move over to bi-mode too

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

Aictos

Established Member
One for @59CosG95 but not sure if it’s been included in a update but the Down Fast at Bedford now has OHL in place with shiny new copper wires.

The Up Fast is yet to be done in the station limits.

I rarely go north so no idea on the progress of the electrification north of Bedford.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
One for @59CosG95 but not sure if it’s been included in a update but the Down Fast at Bedford now has OHL in place with shiny new copper wires.

The Up Fast is yet to be done in the station limits.

I rarely go north so no idea on the progress of the electrification north of Bedford.

From recent observation, it’s all done bar a gap at Wellingborough station and a slightly larger gap around Kettering. Just a few more weeks till it’s finished.

Aictos

Established Member
From recent observation, it’s all done bar a gap at Wellingborough station and a slightly larger gap around Kettering. Just a few more weeks till it’s finished.

Then test trains running to test the OHL?

Aictos

Established Member
As the Midland Mainline is closed this Sunday with all 4 lines closed between Luton and Leicester*

Is this anything to do with the MML Electrification at all?

*EMR and TL are running a train service between London and Luton only with TL running buses all stations to Bedford and EMR running buses non stop to Leicester.

59CosG95

Established Member
As the Midland Mainline is closed this Sunday with all 4 lines closed between Luton and Leicester*

Is this anything to do with the MML Electrification at all?

*EMR and TL are running a train service between London and Luton only with TL running buses all stations to Bedford and EMR running buses non stop to Leicester.
I suspect that this might be something to do with the new ATFS (Autotransformer Feeder Station) at Long Meadow Farm, replacing the existing 1980's one at Sundon. I'm not sure if the Autotransformer element of the FS is ready yet, but it's certainly included in the design.

Aictos

Established Member
I suspect that this might be something to do with the new ATFS (Autotransformer Feeder Station) at Long Meadow Farm, replacing the existing 1980's one at Sundon. I'm not sure if the Autotransformer element of the FS is ready yet, but it's certainly included in the design.

If it is I understand why electric trains can’t run but why not diesel trains?

And seeing as there’s nothing between Luton and Leicester, surely there’s more then just the work above?

Edders23

perhaps it's because they are connecting it up to the OHLE and disconnecting the old one which may not be that easy with trains running by

The section parallel to the A43 corby bypass seems to have been finished not sure about the corby station area but it sounds as though not too much more to be finished

59CosG95

Established Member
perhaps it's because they are connecting it up to the OHLE and disconnecting the old one which may not be that easy with trains running by

The section parallel to the A43 corby bypass seems to have been finished not sure about the corby station area but it sounds as though not too much more to be finished
Wires are now up in Corby station itself (albeit only over Platform 1. The disused Platform 2 is unwired). These continue south to Glendon Junction (aka Kettering North Jct) before stopping again. Bedford's only got a little bit left to do, as does Wellingborough.

Snow1964

Established Member

To have about 65 miles of line closed for 52 hours for two consecutive weekends suggests lots of work. I would hazard a guess that you could have a handful of different worksites and activities spaced few miles apart to really utilise the closure (thats not a prediction). This isn't 2 of 4 tracks closed with 2 open ones restricted to diesel trains.

This coming weekend (and next weekend) appear on the Bedford-Kettering improvement page, which suggests some serious track work is going ahead prior to the overhead being completed and going live. Maybe some of those wire gaps will also be completed.

https://www.networkrail.co.uk/runni...d-main-line-upgrade-plan-bedford-to-kettering

Could be other electrifiication related work as appears on Bromham Road bridge page

https://www.networkrail.co.uk/runni...n-line-upgrade/bromham-road-improvement-works

WymoWanderer

This on Network Rail's Media Centre would suggest it is for the new feeder site as well as three substations.
https://www.networkrailmediacentre....as-key-milestone-on-vital-upgrade-takes-place

On 15/16 and 22/23 February, Network Rail will continue with work to electrify the route from London to Kettering and Corby via Bedford. Over these weekends, work will take place to commission and test three new substations along the route, as well as a new 400kV National Grid supply point at Sundon, which will feed power to the railway. This work will help to improve the resilience of the railway and provide more power, which will allow more trains to run in the future.
To allow this work to take place safely, an amended timetable will be in place on both weekends:

• Saturday, 15 February and Saturday, 22 February - Line between Leicester and Bedford will be closed. During this time, no trains will run between Bedford and Leicester with coach replacement services instead.
  • Sunday, 16 February and Sunday, 23 February – Line between Leicester and Luton closed, meaning bus replacement services will be in operation between these areas.
  • 15/16 and 22/23 February - Trains will not run between Kettering and Corby. Bus replacement services in operation.
Passengers are strongly urged to check their journey ahead of time via National Rail Enquiries or with East Midlands Railway, as there will be a reduced service in place and journey times will take longer than usual.

Gavin Crook, Principal Programme Sponsor for Network Rail, said: “This is a key milestone in the Midland Main Line Upgrade and brings us one step closer to completing this vital project which will bring huge benefits to passengers.

“We’re sorry that this work can’t be done without impacting on passengers and we would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused. I’d like to reassure passengers that we are working hard with East Midlands Railway to keep them moving, but we would urge all those planning to travel to check beforehand via National Rail Enquiries or with East Midlands Railway.”

Lisa Angus, Transition and Projects Director for East Midlands Railway, said: “The work taking place over these two weekends in February is a crucial milestone towards completing the electrification of the line between London St Pancras and Corby.

“We are asking any passengers travelling over these weekends to check our website before they travel as their journey times will be extended and part of their journey will be via a coach replacement service,

“We appreciate that the work will disrupt our passengers during this time and we are working with Network Rail to ensure we get people where they need to be. We apologise for the inconvenience caused."

Edvid

Established Member
It distributes the supply at 50 kV by supplying the contact wire at +25 kV and an auxiliary feeder (instead of the classic-style return conductor) at -25 kV. The running rail remains at 0 V as a centre tap connects it to the ATFS.

Just noticed my source is the same link 83A quoted.

Aictos

Established Member
Interesting, not sure if it’s the same thing but does one exist between Stevenage and Hitchin?

westcoaster

Established Member
Wires are now up and present through wellingborough ( only on the up and down slow line/freight line).

Believe the feeder work was knocked on the head at the weekend due to storm Dennis.

muddythefish

On Moderation
What will happen to the MML electrification team when the work is completed? Will it be disbanded or move to another project - and if so, where? It would be a waste of resources (and money) if the expertise they have built over the life of the project were to be lost. The country urgently needs a rolling electrification programme that would ensure these skills were retained and cost less money in the long term too