• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

MOBILE OPERATIVE DB

Status
Not open for further replies.

alex888

Hi guys and girls would anyone be able to tell me what the salary is for the mobile operative and how likely is it to progress onto a full time train driver position role after? finally would you still have to do the normal tests that are required for the train driver position just like everyone else even if you're already employed with DB? Thanks :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

NorthernTech

Hi guys and girls would anyone be able to tell me what the salary is for the mobile operative and how likely is it to progress onto a full time train driver position role after? finally would you still have to do the normal tests that are required for the train driver position just like everyone else even if you're already employed with DB? Thanks :)
I think salary is around £30k once trained, but not sure exactly. I presume you mean if you move internally from mobile operative to trainee driver, would you need to do the psychometric tests?, I believe you would yes. I’m fairly sure it’s industry standard.

Atishyou

Mobile Operative is Groundstaff in DB terms. It's prepping trains, instructing drivers where wagons are being moved to etc.

Depending on location, it can be a lot of walking, but a fairly easy job.

As NorthernTech says, salary about £30k. However, being a Mobile Operative isn't a sure fire way to becoming a driver. Yes it will give you knowledge, understanding and the experience of the railway, but it's certainly not a 'progressive' job in that sense.

Fittermat

I’m currently in the talent pool to become ground staff for DB starting Salary is around 28k a year until competent then rising to just over 30k. From my understanding as a internal applicant you will lead frog external applicants but you still need to pass all the assessments if you haven’t passed them already or failed them twice.

Stigy

Established Member
finally would you still have to do the normal tests that are required for the train driver position just like everyone else even if you're already employed with DB? Thanks :)
Yes, you’d need to sit the psychometric tests, the same as anyone from outside the company would. If it was a depot/junior driver position, you’d do the psychometric assessments in order to progress to that role, in which case you’d not have to resit them.

Atishyou

From my understanding as a internal applicant you will lead frog external applicants but you still need to pass all the assessments if you haven’t passed them already or failed them twice.
From experience, this is generally not the case.

Atishyou

Hi there what do you mean this is not the case? Would you still need to sit the exams?
Most cases I've been aware of are that external applicants have been chosen over internal applicants.

Yes you'd still need to do the entrance tests for driving.

Last edited:

Jeffers

Have you interviewed for DB before for this role?

What are the entrance tests after being offered a role?

Status
Not open for further replies.