• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Mobile Phone Coverage on Main Lines

Recessio

It seems mad to me. If you think of the amount of people on a packed commuter train, and the time they spend on the train that could be more productive if they had signal... Seems an easy win for productivity

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

infobleep

Veteran Member
and heaven forbid people try to work on the train, to make the money to pay for the expensive ticket
I quite agree. I can check e-mails on a train if I'm lucky but if I want to access data software, I can't as it's far too slow.

The North Downs Line between. Guildford and Redhill has bad spots. In fact towards Gatwick Airport after leaving Horley it's not great, I. E. Non existent. Still if your train is held outside of Gatwick Airport, why would you want to know hiw other trains are doing. This is on O2. Just before Surbtion station is bad too, I. E. Non existent. But then much of Surbtion has no O2 coverage.

As for Guildford to Woking. It's OK as you leave Guildford. At Worpolesdon if you stop it is sometimes OK. Only sometimes. Don't want to over do it. Then you have to wait until you near Woking junction for it to return.

South of Guildford towards Farncombe not good and beyond Gidalmijg I think it may be patchy.

Still things are better than they use to be. Surbiton station itself use to be rubbish as was Clapham Junction. I mean why would someone want mobile phone signal at Clapham Junction in 2014 when there is disruption on the trains and staff don't have an update either? :lol:

Other mobile operators may fair better on the railways though.

MattSGB

Whatever they lined the 220/221 windows with would make an excellent lining for a nuclear bunker. No radiation is getting through that.

Apart from the voyagers, my next biggest issue is the internet dead zone on three around the central platforms at New Street. Whenever there is disruption and you need to find information, the internet is invariably dead.

D6975

Established Member
When I was bashing the tractors on the Cumbrian coast I rarely got a useable signal for my MiFi unit. Looking at the coverage map, I see that almost all the line along the coastal section is no-go, so that bit is right. Westbury-Salisbury however is wrong, it shows as just the occasional no-go area, but my experience it's rubbish almost all of the way.