• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Mobile Phone Network in the Channel Tunnel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teebs

I've noticed going through the Channel Tunnel that I have no mobile phone signal going south UK-France, but my phone works fine going north France-UK. Does anyone know why this is?

I'm on a UK provider that gives free roaming in the EU, so it shouldn't be a UK v French networks issue and in any event there's no connection at all, not just a lack of data.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

I think the northern running tunnel has UK networks and the southern has French, so on the way to France in normal operation you shouldn't be roaming yet

sibbahz

I seem to remember Three UK don’t have signal in the UK > France tunnel but the other UK networks do.

Coming back to the UK, the tunnel has the French networks and if you are on Three or one of their virtual networks, you will roam onto the French networks.

urpert

Essendine or between Étaples and Rang-du-Fliers
I hadn’t realised that only some UK networks were available in the northern tunnel (I’m on EE and get reasonable 4G then tend to roam on Bouygues on the way back).

I think the northern running tunnel has UK networks and the southern has French, so on the way to France in normal operation you shouldn't be roaming yet
This is definitely the case.

Teebs

I seem to remember Three UK don’t have signal in the UK > France tunnel but the other UK networks do.

Coming back to the UK, the tunnel has the French networks and if you are on Three or one of their virtual networks, you will roam onto the French networks.

That would be it then, I'm with Three and have EU roaming included in my contract, so that fits with what you've said. Seems weird that a major UK network is giving me coverage on the foreign networks but not the UK ones, but oh well it's hardly a huge inconvenience, only 20 minutes or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.