• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Model railway signal placing advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Hello folks. I'm hoping someone with a little knowledge might be able to help us with where we should place signals on my friends 0 gauge layout.

The premise is that this is a run down mid 1970s branch along the lines of the Hemyock/Gunnislake/Torrington branches.
It has a small dairy that is still served and this is the reason for the survival of a couple of rusty sidings that are visited by a 25 or 08 when required.
It's also served by a single Bubble Car every couple of hours although this service is hanging on by a thread (as is my friends control of his credit card :lol:).
What we're wondering is what would something like this have in the way of signalling?
1) Would the crew of a goods train turn up and unlock the signal cabin to operate the sidings and during a period with no freight - the DMU effectively run down the line as it would on say the Gunnislake branch i.e. Like a long siding?
2) Would there be ground signals that were there from steam days and where should we place them?
3) Would it be possible to place a starter signal up against the bridge or would it actually be on the platform? We reckon it would look good against the bridge with one of those old style white backgrounds to contrast it against the stonework.

This is an ex GWR set up so would follow their practices.
I've added three photos, the first is my poor attempt at a track diagram and the other two show what's placed where including the bridge placement.

Thanks in advance for any advice knowledgeable type people.

Attachments

• IMG_3522.jpg
    IMG_3522.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_3508.jpg
    IMG_3508.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_3509.jpg
    IMG_3509.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MarkyT

Established Member
1) The method would be plausible. The box could have a closing lever and the platform starting signal would be normally off until replaced by a crew for shunting or run round. All trains to arrive in the platform first before shunting, i.e. no run in straight to the siding. Option for having shut in facilities or not. For a model would be more interesting if you could hold a loco in the sidings while a DMU comes into the platform and departs again so in that case the assumption would be to have shut in.
2) I'd say one ground signal at the run round neck and one at the siding exit, maybe double discs for alternative routes.
3) Can't see any case for the starting signal being right up at the bridge. If there had been length sufficient for loco run round between the bridge and the siding points then maybe a second starting signal protecting unseen facilities the other side of the bridge, but with the layout built the only plausible place for the starter is on the platform clear of the siding turnout. I'll try and knock up a little signal sketch in the next couple of days.

Last edited:

John Webb

Established Member
Generally agree with MarkyT. If the branch had been downgraded to 'One Engine in Steam' working, than it is possible all signals would have been removed, but that would restrict what you can run on the model. It is possible that arrangement might include a ground frame (assumed on the far side of the bridge) replacing the box for goods train crews to head straight into the siding. But just as likely they would come into the platform first and then run round before shunting.
You could otherwise assume that the signals were retained with a 'signalman/porter' looking after the station and working the signalbox as required, in which case a starting signal on the platform and a ground disc at the run-round loop/siding exit would be appropriate. It's possible the run-round spur point would be worked by a small ground frame rather than the signal box, in which case there might not be a ground signal there. This arrangement would allow you to have a goods train 'Locked in' in the sidings while your Bubblecar does a passenger run, adding interest to the workings.

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Thanks chaps that was exactly what I was hoping for.
I'll give him a ring later and go over it with him. I know it's a model but if you're putting that much effort into it then it's best to get things right.

MarkyT - doing a sketch for us is beyond the call of duty but we ever meet I shall buy you a pint. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.